Club Focus Carlton 2021 - Cerra, Young, Motlop

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like we picked up the best player in this years trade period, not that it was a particularly big year for player movement, in fact was one quietest trade period in resent years.
I’m a bit meh on Cerra, from what I’ve seen of him “which admittedly isn’t much” he’s kind of like a Petracca lite.
Similar body type and playing style, both do there best work forward if centre.
Cerra obviously not at Petracca’s level of explosiveness power and hasn’t shown the game breaking ability yet, but
I do like Cerra’s kicking inside F50 looks to be he’s best asset and it’s something we are sorely missing

Looks like we picked up the best player in this years trade period, not that it was a particularly big year for player movement, in fact was one quietest trade period in resent years.
I’m a bit meh on Cerra, from what I’ve seen of him “which admittedly isn’t much” he’s kind of like a Petracca lite.
Similar body type and playing style, both do there best work forward if centre.
Cerra obviously not at Petracca’s level of explosiveness power and hasn’t shown the game breaking ability yet, but
I do like Cerra’s kicking inside F50 looks to be he’s best asset and it’s something we are sorely missing
Nah that deal with Cerra was a steal.

Carlton’s midfield has probably has one of the highest upsides in the comp. I would take your group over GWS’ midfield even.

Probably behind WBD and Melbourne but that’s very good still. Strong core at either side. If you don’t play finals next year it’s not because of the talent on your list.

Nah that deal with Cerra was a steal.

Carlton’s midfield has probably has one of the highest upsides in the comp. I would take your group over GWS’ midfield even.

Probably behind WBD and Melbourne but that’s very good still. Strong core at either side. If you don’t play finals next year it’s not because of the talent on your list.

Very accurate assessment, particularly from an opposition supporter.
We do have a lot of highly talented players that could potentially play through the midfield
Cripps and Walsh are the obvious standouts, but the next rung is going to determine how we go next year
Cerra and Hewitt are good solid additions
Stocker Dow Kennedy all expected to become midfielders
Fisher and Cunningham shown they could hold there own there
Jack Martin and Zac Williams have also shown, they can play there and be effective
Setterfield Kemp and Carrol could be anything or nothing
That group certainly doesn’t lack for talent as you pointed out.

Taking Walsh at pick 1 in that super draft, has really helped.
He may not be as flashy as some of the other prospects, but he is that 100% sure fire blue chip midfielder, that you can build a team around.
Hopefully Daicos is a similar player for you guys, he looks the real deal.

In regards to the Liam Jones list spot situation, as it stood this afternoon:

On replacing the vacant spot on the list:

From a playing list point of view, I’ve been in pretty regular contact on the weekend with Andrew Dillon and the AFL. We’ll be able to replace Liam’s position on the list. You’d be aware of the supplementary period where you can have players train on with the Club and then select one of those post-draft. We’ll also discuss with the AFL the possibility of having another pick in the draft if that’s a chance.

In regards to the Liam Jones list spot situation, as it stood this afternoon:

If he is delisted before the ND they can use the extra pick in either ND/RD/SSP.

If he is delisted before the ND they can use the extra pick in either ND/RD/SSP.
The last opportunity for primary list delistings was last Wednesday (List Lodgement 2).

They're currently trying to get an exemption from the AFL to allow them to delist him now, otherwise he will be on the list all next year. If that happens they can move him to the inactive list after the draft, but the spot won't be available at the time of the draft (ND/PSD/RD) if that happens. The inactive list is how they'd make a spot to be able to get a rookie during the pre-season supplemental selection period.

The last opportunity for primary list delistings was last Wednesday (List Lodgement 2).

They're currently trying to get an exemption from the AFL to allow them to delist him now, otherwise he will be on the list all next year. If that happens they can move him to the inactive list after the draft, but the spot won't be available at the time of the draft (ND/PSD/RD) if that happens. The inactive list is how they'd make a spot to be able to get a rookie during the pre-season supplemental selection period.

But theres a 3rd list lodgement at 10am 26th before the psd so cant they delist him then and use the pick in the PSD that afternoon? (Assuming they pass at 64).

But theres a 3rd list lodgement at 10am 26th before the psd so cant they delist him then and use the pick in the PSD that afternoon? (Assuming they pass at 64).
Nope. List lodgement 2 specifically states “last date for primary list delistings”.

The third one is to reconcile the salary cap with the re-signings, draftees and DFAs that they’ve acquired.

It’s in one or both of the CBA/AFL Rules.

Yes, so we'll use a 2nd pick in the draft (currently #64) along with our 2 Rookie Upgrades (Kennedy, Honey).
We're committed to redrafting O'Brien and Cottrell in the Rookie draft, but if the AFL don't give us the extra spot early, one of them will have to wait for the SSP.

Yes, so we'll use a 2nd pick in the draft (currently #64) along with our 2 Rookie Upgrades (Kennedy, Honey).
We're committed to redrafting O'Brien and Cottrell in the Rookie draft, but if the AFL don't give us the extra spot early, one of them will have to wait for the SSP.
What's the mechanism of them waiting for SSP?
They need to drop off the rookie list before the rookie draft to allow Cottrell and LOB to be rookies.
Is it too late for that or can it happen between ND and RD?
Then they are unlisted until the SSP?
Could it be we need to keep Kennedy and/or Honey on the RL and take Cottrell and/or LOB via the SSP instead?
Lore thoughts?

What's the mechanism of them waiting for SSP?
They need to drop off the rookie list before the rookie draft to allow Cottrell and LOB to be rookies.
Is it too late for that or can it happen between ND and RD?
Then they are unlisted until the SSP?
Could it be we need to keep Kennedy and/or Honey on the RL and take Cottrell and/or LOB via the SSP instead?
Lore thoughts?
Anyone who is delisted stays delisted until either drafted or signed. The opportunities left now are;
  • National Draft (new draftees, re-drafted players, and rookie upgrades added to the Primary list, minimum 3 picks, maximum tied to number of available spots left on your Primary List)
  • Delisted Free Agency Period after the National Draft (lasts for 1 hour, previously delisted players only, can be added to the Primary list if spots are available)
  • Pre-Season Draft (new draftees or re-drafted players added to the Primary list if you have spots left)
  • Rookie Draft (new draftees or re-drafted players for the Rookie list)

**Final List Lodgement after the Rookie Draft to check you are salary cap and list size compliant for 2022.

**Opportunity to move retired or injured players to the inactive list for the entire 2022 season is available any time after the Final List Lodgement until right before the MSD, thereby vacating a spot which can be used on a replacement player in the SSP or MSD.

• Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (anyone who nominated for the draft and didn’t get selected can be signed directly as a rookie between December and March)
  • Mid-Season Rookie Draft (some time in the middle of next year for anyone who nominated but didn’t get drafted six months earlier, straight to the rookie list).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

**Opportunity to move retired or injured players to the inactive list for the entire 2022 season is available any time after the Final List Lodgement until right before the MSD, thereby vacating a spot which can be used on a replacement player in the SSP or MSD.

So presumably we can remove Jones from the list prior to the Final List Lodgement on November 29?
And not sure there's a reason we can't remove him for the List Lodgement on November 26th which is between the ND and the PSD?

So presumably we can remove Jones from the list prior to the Final List Lodgement on November 29?
No, the last date for removing players from the primary list was a week ago, the second list lodgement. It's very explicit in the rules that way, so unless the AFL grants an exemption he's stuck on your primary list (presumably as an inactive player) until October 31 next year.

And not sure there's a reason we can't remove him for the List Lodgement on November 26th which is between the ND and the PSD?
There isn't a list lodgement on November 26th..?

Scratch that, found it. They keep releasing different versions of the key dates and adding/changing stuff! That date would be to add the draftees to the lists and see how many spots are left for the PSD and rookie draft since it's all dependent on each other with the total list size caps.

Last edited:
With our vacancies and rookie upgrades we currently sit at 35 senior listed players (including Jones) and 4 category A rookies

Those figures do not include O'Brien and Cottrell, who currently have no contract/legal binding to the club, only a verbal 'commitment' to re-rookie them.

We don't have to ask the AFL permission to do anything really, the legal work around is quite simple. Draft 2 players (#25, #64) in the National Draft instead of only 1, pass on final selection (#82). Senior list up to 37.

Take O'Brien as a rookie in rookie draft. Cat A rookie up to 5. Combined list up to the 42 player limit.

Lodge list with Jones included.

Move Jones to inactive list, sign Cottrell as an SSP rookie thereby fulfilling the re-commitment. All Cottrell has to do is wait a week, I'm sure the club could add $5k to his contract to incentivise this to him (should be able to spare that coin now Jones gave up his coin). The list management flexibility makes no difference to Cottrell as he still has his rookie list spot.

We will have a list of 36-6, so technically we replace Jones with an additional ND pick, but in practice it follows all the requisite procedures of replacing through the SSP.

I dont understand the big beat up about this...

With the unfortunate Jones saga any chance you guys will be looking to split 25 or do you think they will just roll the dice and hope for the likes of Dean, Schlensog etc will still be available at whatever 64 comes into after bids?

Depending on what we (Geelong) give up for the doggies 23 I think we could possibly be interested in going after 25 aswell to have 3 bites in the 20s before richmonds 3 picks.

With the unfortunate Jones saga any chance you guys will be looking to split 25 or do you think they will just roll the dice and hope for the likes of Dean, Schlensog etc will still be available at whatever 64 comes into after bids?

Depending on what we (Geelong) give up for the doggies 23 I think we could possibly be interested in going after 25 aswell to have 3 bites in the 20s before richmonds 3 picks.
I still don't think we'll use 63. As it stands, we'll only use one pick at the draft.

We might trade 25 for say your 34, but it would have to be a future pick coming with it. Perhaps the 3rd round you picked up from us via Freo. But that'd backing ourselves to finish low next year!!

If there is sometching left on the table we like after 25, wouldn’t surprise me to see us trade a future 2nd to get another pick in the 20s

If there is sometching left on the table we like after 25, wouldn’t surprise me to see us trade a future 2nd to get another pick in the 20s

I think we can rule this out - we’ve pretty much said all along that we’re taking one pick this year and will focus more on next year.

Seems a bit mean and pointless to knock back Carlton. They only missed the deadline by a couple of days and it doesn't affect anyone else.
It does effect other clubs. Do not think you can be giving extra draft picks after a deadline when a player retires.
Supplemental selection period made the most sense to replace Jones on the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back