Carlton 2022 = Melbourne 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Always Ballin

Social Activist. Freedom Fighter. Feminist.
Jan 11, 2015
Main Forum Poster
AFL Club
West Coast
A breakout season that ends in horrific choking fashion. Top 8 position stolen at the last moment, ripped from their hands. For Melbourne, it motivated them to come back stronger and make a prelim; I wonder if Carlton will do the same? Time will tell. They'll learn a lot from this humbling experience.

I think this is worse
first side since Carlton in 1947 to lose a game on the final day of the season by a point and miss finals

from swamp on Twitter

unless they release a flyer then I don't think it's comparable

DIdD8EkXUAUG--o

They’ll come back stronger and make top 4 next year. It takes losses like these to become good. Richmond 16, Dees 20 and Hawks 12 are good examples. Also pies this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Losing the final game of the regular season and missing out by one point is worse. Reminds me of an NFL game earlier this year with the Las Vegas Raiders and the LA Chargers. The Chargers missed out on this year's postseason with the final kick of the game in overtime with a tie needing them to advance

You could argue that Melbourne's was worse because they lost to 13th place Collingwood. Carlton had to face two top four teams back-to-back.

Not only that but West Coast pulled a miraculous upset on the #1 ranked Adelaide, beating them by just enough to sneak into the 8 and kick Melbourne out.

West Coast reached the finals at the expense of Melbourne on percentage by 0.48 percentage points, a difference equivalent to only nine on-field points. It is the narrowest margin in VFL/AFL history to decide a finals spot.

They’d want to get a wriggle on, going to have salary cap issues soon.

Cripps 28 next season, still yet to play an AFL final in his career.

Premiership windows don’t just open because people thing they should.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol - we lost when we weren't expected to win. It was hard fought, there was no point where we put the game to bed.

What is a choke these days? "Lead for a quarter or two but lost"?

:laughv1:

Last edited:
They’d want to get a wriggle on, going to have salary cap issues soon.

Cripps 28 next season, still yet to play an AFL final in his career.

Premiership windows don’t just open because people thing they should.
The Cripps thing legitimately sucks. One of the best kids of the era but could potentially not play a final. Most would expect Carlton to do better next year but no guarantees.

Lol - we lost when we weren't expected to win. It was hard fought, there was no point where we we put the game to bed.

you must be new around here

If this is the Melbourne/Collingwood game I am thinking of Collingwood were smashed with injuries. I remember it being iconic for the and kayle Kirby's debut which sadly due to health was only time he got to play. Never realised Dees need to win to make the 8.

Carlton have a good team they will learn and come back stronger. Make me sick saying that.

Lol - we lost when we weren't expected to win. It was hard fought, there was no point where we we put the game to bed.

I thought you were 4 goals up at 3/4 time in a low scoring game and then kicked 5 straight behinds and no goals in the last quarter. With everything to play for, that's a choke by my definition.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

A breakout season that ends in horrific choking fashion. Top 8 position stolen at the last moment, ripped from their hands. For Melbourne, it motivated them to come back stronger and make a prelim; I wonder if Carlton will do the same? Time will tell. They'll learn a lot from this humbling experience.
Carlton were in the top 8 for the entire season:

Melbourne were in and out the whole year:

Carlton's would feel worse

A choke is being paid out by a betting agency to make top 4 and then completely missing the finals.

Now that. Is. A. Choke if ever I’ve seen one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back