Club Focus Carlton 2023

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

And you have what evidence of this? Let me guess......

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.

Hocking goes to Geelong and suddenly they know about salary cap issues at other clubs. Im sure its completely unrelated.

I bet you think none of those PWC partners really talked to eachother either.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.

Hocking goes to Geelong and suddenly they know about salary cap issues at other clubs. Im sure its completely unrelated.

I bet you think none of those PWC partners really talked to eachother either.

Most clubs would have a general understanding what the cap situation at most other clubs.

I hardly doubt the Bowes deal was somewhat done through 'Insider Trading' (which is what you are seemingly implying)

Most clubs would have a general understanding what the cap situation at most other clubs.

I hardly doubt the Bowes deal was somewhat done through 'Insider Trading' (which is what you are seemingly implying)

There was zero talk of it in the media, unlike when other clubs have had cap issues. That is the difference. To everyone but Geelong it came from nowhere.

Silvagni .. fisher and Carlton’s first pick for Sicily and hawthorns 3 rd round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Two fringe players and a draft pick sounds like good compensation for our captain and best player. I'm sure you'd love it if your club traded Curnow for Jacob Koschitzke, Finn Maginness and pick 13.

Last edited:
I don't think we would be entertaining a dump trade for Zac Williams this off-season for multiple reasons:
  • no trade value (injury + contract length and salary are still too big to have a dump trade value);
  • we have little draft capital to use (to affix to a Williams trade, and to bring in a replacement);
  • we have little (AFL ready) half back depth behind our Best 22 at the moment (we think we are close to contending); and
  • he has had a very tough year both in his personal/family and professional lives (duty of care to the player).

At the October trade period, he will be 29, coming off an ACL injury with 3 years and approx. $2.1-2.4 million left on his contract.

It would be completely unknown how he would fare at AFL level given he would've missed the whole season of footy as well. We would need to offer up a pick to go with him as that is a substantial salary, contract length and risk for an opposition club to take on.

We won't do that because we have limited trade and draft capital as it is. Our cap is manageable for this season (considering likely departures of Dow & Fisher). We would likely give him 2024 to get back into playing some footy, and in doing so, his value will increase (from negative to perhaps breakeven).

At best, he will re-establish himself in our best back 7 and at worst he is now a 30-year old, who played some AFL footy in 2024, with 2 years and approx. $1.4-1.6 million left on his contract. This is a much lower risk for opposition clubs to take on than the first scenario listed above for end of 2023.

This probably leads itself into a Zac Williams for a token pick territory instead of Carlton having to add an additional pick. This would only need to be entertained if we need to clear off salary cap space at the end of 2024.

TL;DR - not this year, may be considered at the end of 2024.

Docherty Weitering McGovern
Williams Marchbank Saad

Very solid backline with heaps of run and drive. Marchbank the only question mark. I would say they are better off keeping him
Replace Docherty with Newman, especially after the season he has had.

Doc has been playing higher up on the wing or in midfield, and playing well 👌

Docherty Weitering McGovern
Williams Marchbank Saad

Very solid backline with heaps of run and drive. Marchbank the only question mark. I would say they are better off keeping him
Replace Docherty with Newman, especially after the season he has had.

Doc has been playing higher up on the wing or in midfield, and playing well 👌
Replace Marchbank with Kemp too.
Newman, Weitering, McGovern
Williams, Kemp, Saad
With Cincotta or Boyd as the 7th defender.

Not that I want to lose him, but the Blues should seriously be in Ginnivan’s ear. If he’s not in our best side come finals, and I don’t think he will be, the Blues can offer him a 3 or 4 year deal and say “you’ll be our best small and play every single week” and that might be enough for him to tell the pies it’s the best move for my career.

I also think they should let De Koning walk and let Goldstein play on in navy blue for a year or two while they sort their sh*t out and find a good young ruck prospect. They need a ruck with mitts. Matt Flynn could be an option too.
You can shove ginnivan where the sun doesn't shine, he's one of the biggest campaigners in the comp, he's been collingwooded now, nobody will ever get that stench off the ducker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have all the pieces in place as the last couple of months have shown. What they need is a bit more depth behind the top line players.
I think the depth is there. Cerra, Walsh and Kennedy have been out and their replacements have stepped up.

It’s the Key forward depth which is most concerning. Curnow kicked his biggest bag in weeks yesterday and it’s not a coincidence that it coincided with McKay returning.

I think the depth is there. Cerra, Walsh and Kennedy have been out and their replacements have stepped up.

It’s the Key forward depth which is most concerning. Curnow kicked his biggest bag in weeks yesterday and it’s not a coincidence that it coincided with McKay returning.

The key fwd stuff is really interesting, it's a little bit like the ruck in some ways. How many is enough? You've also got the issue of if they are good enough at AFL level, they will either want to be playing or look to move clubs.

Personally, I think this is where players like Silvagni are gold and is why I want to see him signed up. If we are a bit short almost anywhere on the field, he has shown he can step up, but particularly in the ruck and fwd. McGovern is a swing man (fwd & back), Young is cover swing (back, ruck and fwd in a pinch) we know TDK (ruck & fwd) can fill a void fwd too if required. I'd also think Brodie Kemp could swing fwd (or mid) as he did as a junior in case of a big emergency, and young Lemmey is developing (fwd and ruck) if everything completely hits the fan.

I like this setup and and given McGovern signs a reduced contract, think we have enough cover to compete at a high level if we strike some injuries (as long as they aren't long term) to either of our key pillars up fwd.

I think it's at half forward (Martin, Cunners) and key back (Weitering) that we are lacking depth, and who we should be targeting in the draft.

Strike a nerve? He’d start in your 22
Not for us I don't think. We'd be happier to have Owies, Motlop, Durdin and Fogarty buzzing around up forward. Ginnivan might have slightly more ability than some of those but happy to have our blokes play for the jumper and the team. Ginnivan started alright Friday night and then thought that his job was to stir big O up. Hardly touched the ball after that.

Be interested to hear why you are spruiking a player who has played more reserves games than senior games this season? Clearly your coach doesn't rate him that highly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back