Club Focus Carlton 2023

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Dees offer an early first (top 5 -10) and Grundy (pay a chunk of his wage or offer steak knives) ad both teams are instantly better IMO.

We wouldn't agree to this. In fact we'd probably not pick up the phone for further discussions if this was Melbourne's opening offer.

This is simply not true, and repeating it over and over doesn't make it any more accurate.
Mckay has been immense up the field this year, so I agree. Years prior he was probably a bit one dimensional in that he was just a mark and kick at goals type like Ben Brown but this year with his goal kicking yips he's been forced to work up the field and has been awesome. Was leading the comp in contested marks and was setting up play for our forwards as well more than he ever has.

We wouldn't agree to this. In fact we'd probably not pick up the phone for further discussions if this was Melbourne's opening offer.
Its a solid starting point IMO but fair enough.

They have 2 x Firsts I think, Freos and there own?

Maybe the 2 Firsts and Grundy + 2nd rounder back.

Mckay has been immense up the field this year, so I agree. Years prior he was probably a bit one dimensional in that he was just a mark and kick at goals type like Ben Brown but this year with his goal kicking yips he's been forced to work up the field and has been awesome. Was leading the comp in contested marks and was setting up play for our forwards as well more than he ever has.

He was never as one dimensional as Ben Brown who just excelled at lead mark kick. Even if you say Mckay was just marking a player (not sure I agree) he at least beats his opponents in a variety of ways.

I think that would only make sense if McKay wanted to leave or Carlton wanted him to leave. In the current situation of him being a happy required player the price would be astronomical

We’ve spent a long time building a list good enough to challenge.
Why would we now want to weaken a key point of strength in the double pronged attack.
How hard were Richmond to beat at their peak with Riewoldt and Lynch up forward.
Not interested in trading H full stop.
We’re trying to win a premiership … not trade week …

The Dees are the ones that should throw the kitchen sink at McKay whilst they still have prime Gawn, Oliver and Trac, and May / Lever backline.

Dees offer an early first (top 5 -10) and Grundy (pay a chunk of his wage or offer steak knives) ad both teams are instantly better IMO.
Why would Carlton want Grundy? Just signed TDK and see him as their number 1 ruckman long term. Then they also signed Pittonet who is adequate back up.

Not only Carlton won’t want or need Grundy, why would Grundy come to Carlton (especially after the Melbourne mess) knowing all that instead of going to Port or Sydney who desperately want him?

It’s like you’ve seen Melbourne need a forward and then gone they don’t want Grundy so that will work, instead of looking at it from a Carlton perspective at all. It’s not like Mackay is out of contract and wants out forcing Carlton’s hand either, he has 7 years left. So Carlton don’t have to do anything & the idea they would and end up with a player they don’t need in Grundy (and I rate Grundy highly) is ridiculous

He wasn't forced to work up the field because of his yips. His role completely changed this year and it could certainly be argued that this contributed to the yips.

There are a few issues here:

1) I see no reason why we'd even look at Grundy. We have Pittonet and TDK signed and won't be looking to add another mature ruck who will be expecting to play senior footy straight away.

2) Why would Grundy come to Carlton? When there are several teams crying out for a starting ruck, coming to Carlton would be doubling down on the career suicide of going to Melbourne.

3) We signed Harry to a long-term deal and we are very happy with him. And as far as I am aware, he is very happy at Carlton. This whole situation has been completely overblown and has somehow grown legs off of what Craig Hutchison of all people said one night on FC. There's no factual basis to it at all.

4) Even if we weren't or he wasn't, why would we willingly trade him to Melbourne? Are we not competing with them directly for a premiership this year and possibly over the next few as well? I would hope we are not in the business of significantly strengthening a direct competitor in such a way, whilst weakening our own stocks. That would be complete madness.

I’m not sure where I stand on the KPF vs Mid debate at the trade table but this is just a completely incorrect take on the value of Gulden.

Based on 2023 form he would have been by a clear margin Carlton’s best midfielder.
But that wasnt the topic iof my post was it? The discussion was whether I would trade Harry for Guilden.

And we're pretty happy with our midfield thanks anyway. Cripps, Cerra, Walsh, Hewett, Dow and Kennedy stacks up pretty well compared to any in the league. Hence why we are the #1 team for scoring from clearances.

Why on earth would we want to sign Grundy? If we're looking for another ruckman, it's one that can spend a significant amount of time forward and have an impact. i.e. Not Grundy - for the same reason Pies and now Melbourne don't want him.

Why would you want your no1 ruckman spending significant time forward?

Pies only didnt want him due to his wage, Dees due to Gawn being the best ruck in the game, not even close to the same.

We’ve spent a long time building a list good enough to challenge.
Why would we now want to weaken a key point of strength in the double pronged attack.
How hard were Richmond to beat at their peak with Riewoldt and Lynch up forward.
Not interested in trading H full stop.
We’re trying to win a premiership … not trade week …
Just my personal opinion that look better with only one Alpha up front, coincidence your best footy and season roll started with Curnow one out with support?

Grundy is miles ahead of your current rucks (until TDK explodes)

Why would Carlton want Grundy? Just signed TDK and see him as their number 1 ruckman long term. Then they also signed Pittonet who is adequate back up.

Not only Carlton won’t want or need Grundy, why would Grundy come to Carlton (especially after the Melbourne mess) knowing all that instead of going to Port or Sydney who desperately want him?

It’s like you’ve seen Melbourne need a forward and then gone they don’t want Grundy so that will work, instead of looking at it from a Carlton perspective at all. It’s not like Mackay is out of contract and wants out forcing Carlton’s hand either, he has 7 years left. So Carlton don’t have to do anything & the idea they would and end up with a player they don’t need in Grundy (and I rate Grundy highly) is ridiculous

You guys looks really well blanced IMO across the park, I said this early in the year, but your rucks are pretty average and Grundy improves this area instantly and by a fair margin.

I did also say the Dees should come hard and ask, I didnt say the Blues should, but at the right price / deal it could be a win win IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't consider trading Harry for Guilden. Good player and all that Guilden is wingers are a dime a dozen. 204cm Coleman medallists winners are not. We got Acres for a future 3rd, Cottrell for a pre season pick and have the Camporeale twins coming along with Hollands.

Guilden is a lovely field kick but you'd want to be offering a lot more for big Harry.

Sicily and Day for McKay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlton is among the clubs with interest in prising former No.7 draft pick Elijah Hollands from Gold Coast.
Hollands, 21, is contracted to the Suns for 2024 but rival clubs believe he is gettable during the upcoming trade period.

Industry sources have indicated that the Blues are interested in acquiring Hollands, in doing so reuniting him with younger brother Ollie.

While the Blues, riding the wave of their finals run, do not have the salary cap space to be major players in the trade period, they are likely to cede Paddy Dow to a rival club, with St Kilda long linked to Dow given his connection with former Carlton list boss Stephen Silvagni, who is now working at the Saints.

Zac Fisher has had interest from North Melbourne.

Silvagni is also a fan of 2019 first-round draft pick Sam Philp, who has been riddled by injuries at the Blues and shapes as a potential delisted free agent or rookie option for the Saints who are keen to bring in greater outside run.

CARLTON is in talks over new deals for David Cuningham, Lachie Fogarty and Caleb Marchbank, with the trio of Blues each playing important roles in last week's thrilling finals victory over Sydney.

All three should be re-signed for 2024, though with their injury histories it'll be interesting to see on what terms.

Blues are actively planning on a huge trade period this year to bolster their picks, and make improvements to their list.

First step is to try and lock in another first round pick, and improve their draft pick position
There's also talk about a decent name player being offered as trade bait

Expecting the Blues to come out and be a major player this off season

Blues are actively planning on a huge trade period this year to bolster their picks, and make improvements to their list.

First step is to try and lock in another first round pick, and improve their draft pick position
There's also talk about a decent name player being offered as trade bait

Expecting the Blues to come out and be a major player this off season

Very insightful, sounds about the same narrative as 17 other clubs who are also looking to improve there list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back