Carlton: A failure to adapt?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are a few years behind where the Demons are currently... You made similar recruiting choices to protect your kids. Some eg Shannon Byrnes, Chris Dawes, David Rodan, Mitch Clark, Daniel Cross, Harry O'Brien..

None of these players turned into superstars but besides Clark they all played a roll to develop and protect your kids and allowed them to develop on there own terms.

Well said !! :thumbsu:

Can't be bothered reading the whole thread but I assume it's all been said before. As far as I'm concerned it's a fact that we failed to adapt until 18 months ago, now we're giving it genuine go.

People love sticking the boots into Carlton and we've given them every reason to do so, but only time will tell if this works out and we'll just have to keep copping it until it does.

And except for Cross and possibly Dawes for a year or two they were horrendous decisions that probably set us back a few years

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

What a load of crap! You are saying that not trading for those player "set us back a few years". Back from what, you have achieved nothing. Can't go back from nowhere.

The old Carlton died with Mick Malthouse, they are on the right track now I think. The issue is, they are still feeling the decisions of the old Carlton - Dale Thomas for example.

They need to stick to their current course, the old Carlton would've tried to buy their way out this with some foolish appointments. It won't happen over night, but they will recover. Having said that, I'm not sure they will ever reach their halcyon days of the 70's/80's again - the AFL landscape has changed too much.

Well said Jim. The light bulb moment came with the sacking of Malthouse. I believe for the first time in a long time we are truly rebuilding from the ground up and have finally embraced the draft 100%. Still going to be a long couple of years, but I can finally see a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

hahaha good! Don't worry, I'm not preaching, we're the club who came up with the tackiest footy stunt ever, the flash mob. And I have a bad feeling about what's going to happen for the "experience" on Saturday night too, just quietly

Whilst we're "bashing" Essendon, that bloody air raid siren is terrible.
That thing needs to go.

Well said Jim. The light bulb moment came with the sacking of Malthouse. I believe for the first time in a long time we are truly rebuilding from the ground up and have finally embraced the draft 100%. Still going to be a long couple of years, but I can finally see a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

Yeah the sacking of Malthouse is the best thing Carlton has done only took the job to try and get one back at the Pies.

The one thing I love!
20142606_FD_P.png

Pictured: possibly Lance

The old Carlton died with Mick Malthouse, they are on the right track now I think. The issue is, they are still feeling the decisions of the old Carlton - Dale Thomas for example.

They need to stick to their current course, the old Carlton would've tried to buy their way out this with some foolish appointments. It won't happen over night, but they will recover. Having said that, I'm not sure they will ever reach their halcyon days of the 70's/80's again - the AFL landscape has changed too much.
This

(Log in to remove this ad.)

five years and 1 and 1/2 weeks ago we were $7.00 premiership favourites with sportsbet after being 3-0 and beating the pies by 10 goals after they'd just had that awesome 2011 season. we actually were quite a good side 5 years ago. then it all went to s**t lol
Ah, no you weren't. Carlton were on top of the ladder on the back of wins over Richmond, Brisbane and a Collingwood reserves team. Many of us saw this false dawn at the time and history has proven as much.

Ah, no you weren't. Carlton were on top of the ladder on the back of wins over Richmond, Brisbane and a Collingwood reserves team. Many of us saw this false dawn at the time and history has proven as much.

We were alright. Top 8 side ruined by injuries. Had Ratten of stayed we would have been better than what Malthouse achieved. But either way, we'd be in the same position now - in a rebuild after a few elimination final wins.

Ummm, not meaning to be controversial, but since the AFL started, when has Carlton been a successful club? Did the VFL officially become the AFL in 1987? If so I count two flags for Carlton in the AFL, 1987 being flag #1. If we were to wipe the VFL history and our collective minds clean, as from 1987, no one in their right mind, in 2017, would say Carlton has been a big and successful club which has lost its way. It was a big club in the VFL, but the VFL became the AFL and expanded nationally and Carlton has not adapated. It happened well before Mick Malthouse. Don't pin this on Malthouse, Carlton was already AFL mediocre before he got there. He's just a link in the chain of fail that Carlton has expierienced since the AFL commenced.

I put the blame on John Elliot. His famous quip "Carlton don't rebuild" or something along those lines just epitomises what they were about, whilst other clubs adjusted to life in the national competition. Collingwood was like that too before Eddie Maguire came along, and they adjusted to the national competition under him. I remember the former Collingwood president Allan McAlister saying in 1991 that Collingwood should not have to play the WCE in Perth. Serious? That's one example of Collingwood not accepting that it was in a national competition.

Adjusting to the equality system of salary caps and drafts also hurt Carlton. Again it was not used to operating in that environment. It used to be able to recruit whoever it wanted, because it was a big Victorian club in a state competition, the perfect example being Peter Motley, Stephen kernahan and Craig Bradley all in the one off season. So when it tried to adjust to the new equality system, what did it do, it started tanking, playing off for the Kruiser Cup with Melbourne, which it won, not the 4 points, but Kruiser. And the rot was well and truly set in stone by then. One thing led to another, ie all the punishment the AFL handed Carton, and now here we are today talking about it.

Hopefully they get their act together, starting this season.

Ummm, not meaning to be controversial, but since the AFL started, when has Carlton been a successful club? Did the VFL officially become the AFL in 1987? If so I count two flags for Carlton in the AFL, 1987 being flag #1. If we were to wipe the VFL history and our collective minds clean, as from 1987, no one in their right mind, in 2017, would say Carlton has been a big and successful club which has lost its way. It was a big club in the VFL, but the VFL became the AFL and expanded nationally and Carlton has not adapated. It happened well before Mick Malthouse. Don't pin this on Malthouse, Carlton was already AFL mediocre before he got there. He's just a link in the chain of fail that Carlton has expierienced since the AFL commenced.

I put the blame on John Elliot. His famous quip "Carlton don't rebuild" or something along those lines just epitomises what they were about, whilst other clubs adjusted to life in the national competition. Collingwood was like that too before Eddie Maguire came along, and they adjusted to the national competition under him. I remember the former Collingwood president Allan McAlister saying in 1991 that Collingwood should not have to play the WCE in Perth. Serious? That's one example of Collingwood not accepting that it was in a national competition.

Adjusting to the equality system of salary caps and drafts also hurt Carlton. Again it was not used to operating in that environment. It used to be able to recruit whoever it wanted, because it was a big Victorian club in a state competition, the perfect example being Peter Motley, Stephen kernahan and Craig Bradley all in the one off season. So when it tried to adjust to the new equality system, what did it do, it started tanking, playing off for the Kruiser Cup with Melbourne, which it won, not the 4 points, but Kruiser. And the rot was well and truly set in stone by then. One thing led to another, ie all the punishment the AFL handed Carton, and now here we are today talking about it.

*Krezuer

The VFL was simply renamed the AFL so the history does count like it or not.

Looking at clubs like GC and Freo, Carlton look like a pretty healthy club at the moment.

Decent number of members, a good group of kids (need a few more though), and a coach that most neutrals seem to like and rate.

Good times will come, but will take a few years.

There are stages of denial when you are stuffed, we reached acceptance in 2015.

It's an important step, we are playing with spirit, we just have too many spuds still (who will and are being phased out), not enough midfield depth and the youngsters need more games to have a consistent impact.

We will probably still cop some beltings but it's easier to deal with when you see a clear plan. Unlike freo and GC at the moment, the players clearly are buying in

We need one more year in the draft and get as many good young mids as possible before thinking of free agency and big signings which will come eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back