Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Doubt he'd have the necessary drive or talent to make it anyhow. No great loss.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

He's a beast of a kid. Trains with his dad and would have good basketball skills (IQ and reflexes).

Shame we don't even see him at the academy photos anymore...
Sorry, but I just can't see basketball skills translating to the AFL. Nobody with a basketball background would ever be good at footy. If they were, we would've heard about it by now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a look at Dane Whitnall's 2nd game for the Calder Cannons today.

He is a good size of a lad, probably a couple of inches taller than his dad & more mobile. He must have had a relatively recent growth spurt because he looks to be still adjusting to his body size.

Early on he looked like a colt who was having its first run around a racetrack. All arms & legs.

He seemed to be playing as a loose man in defence, in a similar role to what a fit Marchbank would play for us. As the match wore on though he did find himself playing a bit more man on man & managed to at least half most of his contests.

Dane is very clean both by hand & foot & generally seemed to have plenty of time to dispose of the ball. Almost as if time was standing still. What really caught my eye is his marking. He has Inspector Gadget-like arms & this means he is able to mark the ball at a height which is out of reach of most.

The further the game went on Dane's confidence grew & he started presenting himself as an option for his teammates & actually getting to contests rather than waiting for the contest to come to him.

Dane has yet to put together a body of work to suggest an AFL career is beckoning, but I'm looking forward to seeing what he brings to the table between now & the end of the season.

Had a look at Dane Whitnall's 2nd game for the Calder Cannons today.

He is a good size of a lad, probably a couple of inches taller than his dad & more mobile. He must have had a relatively recent growth spurt because he looks to be still adjusting to his body size.

Early on he looked like a colt who was having its first run around a racetrack. All arms & legs.

He seemed to be playing as a loose man in defence, in a similar role to what a fit Marchbank would play for us. As the match wore on though he did find himself playing a bit more man on man & managed to at least half most of his contests.

Dane is very clean both by hand & foot & generally seemed to have plenty of time to dispose of the ball. Almost as if time was standing still. What really caught my eye is his marking. He has Inspector Gadget-like arms & this means he is able to mark the ball at a height which is out of reach of most.

The further the game went on Dane's confidence grew & he started presenting himself as an option for his teammates & actually getting to contests rather than waiting for the contest to come to him.

Dane has yet to put together a body of work to suggest an AFL career is beckoning, but I'm looking forward to seeing what he brings to the table between now & the end of the season.

Haven't seen him for a while MSR, what was his speed and agility like and do you believe it has improved as I felt this was an area he needed to improve

Haven't seen him for a while MSR, what was his speed and agility like and do you believe it has improved as I felt this was an area he needed to improve
I thought he moved alright. Straight line speed is acceptable. He picked up a couple of ground balls with ease. He is actually quite deceiving. He seems to be loping along, but somehow gets to where he needs to be. I think he could benefit from working with a running coach because his gait is awkward.

I thought he moved alright. Straight line speed is acceptable. He picked up a couple of ground balls with ease. He is actually quite deceiving. He seems to be loping along, but somehow gets to where he needs to be. I think he could benefit from working with a running coach because his gait is awkward.

You are right, always looked like a raw colt

As a current afl player comparison?

Might be a stretch, but does it look like Danes the type of player who would have lost a lot of development last year? In terms of body type, conditioning, fitness?

It seems he has a bit of work to do, I’m wondering if he’d be likely to play NAB league again next year?

Might be a stretch, but does it look like Danes the type of player who would have lost a lot of development last year? In terms of body type, conditioning, fitness?

It seems he has a bit of work to do, I’m wondering if he’d be likely to play NAB league again next year?
Dane only turned 18 this year so he would be eligible to go around again next year. He would definitely benefit from another year at NAB League level.

His stats for yesterday's game were 18 disposals, with 11 marks. A handy day's work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back