Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The Return of the Paf

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Will be easy to spot on the field. Hopefully he will be playing on Saturday when the Northern Knights take on the Swans Academy Team.

On a separate note, Dane Whitnall has been named as part of the Calder Cannons leadership group. He was coming out of his shell a bit & playing good football when the NAB League season ended last year. Hopefully he will continue his development this season.
I'd like to see how Liam Kolar goes, too, as he was touted as a possible draftee a few seasons ago and is back as an over-ager. I think a KPD might be a priority in the mid-season draft.

PezzDogg95

Debutant
Aug 28, 2013
Princes Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Curious to know if we have any prospective Academy players coming through this year?

At years end we will have 1 Category B rookie spot open up with Owies likely to be promoted to the main list (or delisted).

Would be good if we could find another freebie through our NGA or maybe a sport-hopper or international prospect.

Any candidates?

Curious to know if we have any prospective Academy players coming through this year?

At years end we will have 1 Category B rookie spot open up with Owies likely to be promoted to the main list (or delisted).

Would be good if we could find another freebie through our NGA or maybe a sport-hopper or international prospect.

Any candidates?
Don’t think the AFL has released a list of NGA-eligible players.

Hopefully we get one soon.

They really are terrible with this sort of thing.

goreds

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Any candidates?

Great question.

Anyone?????

mjonc43

Premium Platinum
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
What happened to Charlie McKay? Was given a spot on our VFL list I thought?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I’m hopeless with computer stuff, but there is an article about Dane Whitnall in one of the papers today.

F anyone has a link to the article, please post it.

Would love another father son pock.

jj1978

Brownlow Medallist
May 11, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m hopeless with computer stuff, but there is an article about Dane Whitnall in one of the papers today, I couldn’t find the FS academy thread to give it a bump.

F anyone has a link to the article, please post it.

Would love another father son pock.
Hun has a paragraph on him;

"Dane Whitnall — the son of former Carlton star Lance Whitnall — scored 141 ranking points for Calder Cannons in their loss to Oakleigh Chargers.

The 195cm defender recorded 23 disposals, six marks, 12 intercept possessions and nine rebound 50s in what was his best match of the season."

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
I hear we're in the market for a tall defender. Is this his draft year?

Is there much in the article on him aside the excerpt above? If so, link to a readable version?

Pablito

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I hear we're in the market for a tall defender. Is this his draft year?

Is there much in the article on him aside the excerpt above? If so, link to a readable version?

Pretty sure he is an overage player. Have never seen him play but a few have posted that he was hampered by the lack of football across the last two years and he was a late developer.

I used to love Lance, it would be a great story if we got another 3rd generation father son

Feb 16, 2013
Where the sun don't shine
AFL Club
Carlton
Pretty sure he is an overage player. Have never seen him play but a few have posted that he was hampered by the lack of football across the last two years and he was a late developer.

I used to love Lance, it would be a great story if we got another 3rd generation father son
What's Cooks motto? Character over talent? Would love a good FS to work for us. JSOS didn't set the world on fire as a junior, but the effort he gives playing for the jumper is like no other. Would love to give him a go if he has similar endeavour, you can't teach what players like JSOS has, Lance Jnr might be the same.

agro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
What's Cooks motto? Character over talent? Would love a good FS to work for us. JSOS didn't set the world on fire as a junior, but the effort he gives playing for the jumper is like no other. Would love to give him a go if he has similar endeavour, you can't teach what players like JSOS has, Lance Jnr might be the same.

This is very true - all through there junior careers it was Ben Silvagni touted as the most talented of the brothers - but Jack through sheer determination of will has succeeded in forging an AFL career.

:thumbsu:

The Return of the Paf

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
This is very true - all through there junior careers it was Ben Silvagni touted as the most talented of the brothers - but Jack through sheer determination of will has succeeded in forging an AFL career.

:thumbsu:
It's a bit of both, actually. Jack did at least have one standout game in the national championships where he kicked something like 6 goals. Many of us thought we'd be giving up a pick a lot higher in the draft for him, it got ridiculous at one point, so it's not as if he was picked from out of nowhere. On the other hand, Ben seems to be a very laconic character. I think his form seemed to drop away gradually when he grew too big, for whatever reason.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
It's a bit of both, actually. Jack did at least have one standout game in the national championships where he kicked something like 6 goals. Many of us thought we'd be giving up a pick a lot higher in the draft for him, it got ridiculous at one point, so it's not as if he was picked from out of nowhere. On the other hand, Ben seems to be a very laconic character. I think his form seemed to drop away gradually when he grew too big, for whatever reason.
Apparently Ben was laconic even when they were playing in the backyard as kids. Didn't really test himself or push boundaries.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
I've seen a photo circulate around social media a little bit of Comporeale's twin boys, Lucas & Ben, making some sort of u/16 rep team in SA.

Anyone know much about them? What's the relationship with Scott & Carlton is like these days and is it likely that the family would be happy with F/S to Carlton? Considering they are in Adelaide it might change that a bit. Probably depending where the SA teams are drafting and where they are slated to go I suppose could also play a role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back