Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

beowulf

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2009
Golden Square
AFL Club
Carlton
With it looking unlikely that many, if any, NAB League games will be played this year, it is going to be interesting to see how are youngsters develop.
Another issue is the demise of the alignment with Preston. Northern Blues will not be playing. Maybe a Carlton VFL may exist, maybe not. What that does to guys like the Manton boys and Kye Quirk, I cannot predict.

AT97

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
With it looking unlikely that many, if any, NAB League games will be played this year, it is going to be interesting to see how are youngsters develop.
Another issue is the demise of the alignment with Preston. Northern Blues will not be playing. Maybe a Carlton VFL may exist, maybe not. What that does to guys like the Manton boys and Kye Quirk, I cannot predict.
I always thought the biggest reason for us not having our own team in the vfl was because the alignment with Preston was cheaper. Anyone know if that was the case.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
A few points from that article I like. He's shown great improvement, and that he can play all over the ground.

The fact he can play all over the ground tells me he's a natural footballer, which imo is something we lack. Much like Jack Silvagni, despite his physical flaws you could see from his first game that he looked like he knew exactly where to go and what to do with the ball most of the time.

Anyone know what McKays physical abilities are like?

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Tom Silvagni, Charlie McKay and Mackenzie Hogg are the three alluded to from this year's draft class.
How's Tom Silvagni looking ahead of this draft? Has to done well enough previously to be drafted, considering he may not play this season?

I seem to recall reading in the past that he was more a midfielder and shorter than the other 2, though that mightn't be true

I've read a thing or 2 on McKay and like the sounds of him, his mentality seems to be exactly what we need - workmanlike and tough as nails.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
How's Tom Silvagni looking ahead of this draft? Has to done well enough previously to be drafted, considering he may not play this season?

I seem to recall reading in the past that he was more a midfielder and shorter than the other 2, though that mightn't be true

I've read a thing or 2 on McKay and like the sounds of him, his mentality seems to be exactly what we need - workmanlike and tough as nails.
Not a lot known to date. Fair to say not featuring on any phantom drafter's lists. Info was suggesting both Tom and particularly Charlie were
impressing in their respective preseasons. Young Hogg only 175cm and while on Northern Knights list in his under age year, did not get a run
at NAB Cup level.

It is to be hoped they all get the opportunity to push their respective cases as it is going to be tough to get on a list for next year.

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
Found this old article: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/blues-in-dark-over-father-son-prospects-20200402-p54gll.html

Anyone know anything more about our father sons this year and to a lesser extent Henry Walsh who trained with us last off season?

Annoying year to have 4 father son prospects with Tom Silvagni, Charlie McKay, Mackenzie Hogg and Tom Gleeson.
Unfortunately very little all of our FS kids needed the exposure for any type of evaluation, but read somewhere the talk of Charlie McKay showed some terrific improvement in areas of his game last year as a midfielder, unfortunately this year has for all particularly Victorian-kids stuffed things right up... We might get lucky and rookie him, then hopefully discover he’s going to end up a decent player?

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Unfortunately very little all of our FS kids needed the exposure for any type of evaluation, but read somewhere the talk of Charlie McKay showed some terrific improvement in areas of his game last year as a midfielder, unfortunately this year has for all particularly Victorian-kids stuffed things right up... We might get lucky and rookie him, then hopefully discover he’s going to end up a decent player?

Would be nice to get a steal :D

I remember pre even drafting JSOS Tom was rumoured to show the most natural talent. But that was many moons ago!

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
Would be nice to get a steal :D

I remember pre even drafting JSOS Tom was rumoured to show the most natural talent. But that was many moons ago!
Yeah i remember hearing that Tom was going too be the most talented of the lot a while back from somewhere, not sure if that’s true or not but hopefully he’s good enough to get a chance on the list... Personally i think Ben has the makings of a very good player if he can put it all together...

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Found this old article: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/blues-in-dark-over-father-son-prospects-20200402-p54gll.html

Anyone know anything more about our father sons this year and to a lesser extent Henry Walsh who trained with us last off season?

Annoying year to have 4 father son prospects with Tom Silvagni, Charlie McKay, Mackenzie Hogg and Tom Gleeson.

Seems a perfect year to have a bunch of F/S's - nobody else is going to have any idea how to rate them, so we should get any we think can make the grade for peanuts.

I'd be very surprised if we took more than 2 of them, and wouldn't be shocked if none of them got a spot - particularly if we have to scale the list back a little.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Iirc there were/are questions about Tom's desire to play footy too, could be wrong however

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

That sounds familiar. When Jack was being drafted the mail was that Ben was better than Jack, but his attitude/application was maybe a bit lacking. Tom was an unknown, more interested in basketball at the time?

blueman2012

Debutant
Nov 6, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ManUtd, NthnBlues
The HUN online yesterday had a database of the >1,000 players that have nominated for next week's draft. Some of the Blues F/S names included are below. Let me know if I have missed any (Tom Gleeson not there, and I'm not sure whether Hanna and Whitnall boys are draft age).
TSOS, BSOS
Liam and Wil Hickmott
Charlie McKay
Mackenzie Hogg
Archi and Oskar Manton

Do we think there is a sneaky rookie spot available for any of these guys (excluding BSOS)? Are any of them likely to merit a spot?

PS - no mention of Charlie Gibbs or any of the Betts tribe yet - surely they can't be far away!!:laughing:

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The HUN online yesterday had a database of the >1,000 players that have nominated for next week's draft. Some of the Blues F/S names included are below. Let me know if I have missed any (Tom Gleeson not there, and I'm not sure whether Hanna and Whitnall boys are draft age).
TSOS, BSOS
Liam and Wil Hickmott
Charlie McKay
Mackenzie Hogg
Archi and Oskar Manton

Do we think there is a sneaky rookie spot available for any of these guys (excluding BSOS)? Are any of them likely to merit a spot?

PS - no mention of Charlie Gibbs or any of the Betts tribe yet - surely they can't be far away!!:laughing:

Will Hickmott spent the last half of the season in the reserves At Subi (including finals) & Liam was up & down, playing reserves in the finals.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
TSOS, BSOS
Liam and Wil Hickmott
Charlie McKay
Mackenzie Hogg
Archi and Oskar Manton

If I remember rightly Lance Whitnall's older son prefers basketball. The younger one plays footy, but is a couple of years away. Built like his grandfather from memory.

Back