Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

However 'small' it is, what would motivate us to 'hand back' our zone (at least without making a song and dance about it)? It seems a bit masochistic. Perhaps we simply handed back the administration of it?

Other way round

Kids in our area are generally available to all clubs

I think you and smashbox Gill are missing the point, the Tiwi islands population is tiny, under 3,000, out of those 3000 you need to be male and good at football, our pool is/was roughly 350,000.

To be eligible for NGA selection, you need one parent born in Asia or Africa, or to be born there yourself or be indigenous.

Our zone is very multicultural and covered an area with a lot of people, there seems a few who were eligible, they just weren’t very good, one year earlier and we would have got Gresham, who knows if we held it for another year or two.

But if all those 350,000 are not elligible under NGA guidelines then it doesnt really matter does it?

Of course not all are eligible, not all Tiwi islanders are eligible, they have to me male, a certain age and be good at football, that already reduces the already small pool even further. The municipality of Darebin at last census had 1600 or so people who identify as indigenous, our zone extended well beyond this council, that doesn’t include any player in our zone born in Africa or Asia or with a parent from there.

Other way round

Kids in our area are generally available to all clubs
But you can almost guarantee that next year we will finally have one and that one will be rated in the early 1st Rd and we will end up getting the wrong end of the stick again. Bulldogs will probably take him just to really stick it to us.

But you can almost guarantee that next year we will finally have one and that one will be rated in the early 1st Rd and we will end up getting the wrong end of the stick again. Bulldogs will probably take him just to really stick it to us.
If what's been written earlier in this thread is correct, there's one standout who's roughly three years away. Not that that's much use to us in the short to mid term.

"Carlton has a swag of father-son options. Dane Whitnall, the son of former goalkicker Lance, will play for the Calder Cannons as a tall defender, while the Blues will have a better look at Charlie McKay, son of Andrew, who was tracking well at the start of last season before the NAB League shutdown. Tom Silvagni (son of Steve), Thomas Gleeson (son of Adrian) and Mackenzie Hogg (son of Matthew) will all get their chance to impress as 19-year-olds, too."

Any draft watchers able to comment on the potential of any of these boys?

I seem to recall an article coming out on McKay a while ago suggesting he was having a great season based off re-committing himself in the off-season. Made a big jump that year, must be the year before last?

edit here it is: https://www.afl.com.au/news/385898/the-penny-dropped-for-him-son-of-a-blues-gun-eyes-draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see EDPS

What smokies do you have penciled in for this year

I like Long and Van Rooyen at this stage
I wouldn’t consider either smokies to be drafted unless you mean players you just want for blues 😂 The Victorian kids will shape the draft as it will be interesting to see how many have improved on their 16s year and if any have regressed. Two names spoken of by players we interviewed on Saturday that haven’t gotten much traction are Finn Callaghan from Oakleigh and Mitchell Knevitt from Geelong.

I wouldn’t consider either smokies to be drafted unless you mean players you just want for blues 😂 The Victorian kids will shape the draft as it will be interesting to see how many have improved on their 16s year and if any have regressed. Two names spoken of by players we interviewed on Saturday that haven’t gotten much traction are Finn Callaghan from Oakleigh and Mitchell Knevitt from Geelong.

Yeah guess the boys I mentioned are more who I think will firm, along with Daicos, who I think will be a top 5 bid, or at least he should

Slim pickings for us compared to other clubs, not including the ones with academies.

Julian Janev is a bit of a jet. Was a very very good junior. Definitely capable of making it but I don't know if there's a need for him at Carlton. He's more suited as a mid/wing, which we have a good number of at the moment. I couldn't see him coming in and replacing anyone.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure he grew up barracking for Carlton so I wish him every success.

Julian Janev is a bit of a jet. Was a very very good junior. Definitely capable of making it but I don't know if there's a need for him at Carlton. He's more suited as a mid/wing, which we have a good number of at the moment. I couldn't see him coming in and replacing anyone.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure he grew up barracking for Carlton so I wish him every success.

Built pretty solidly by the looks. He was draft age last year wasn't he? Our options seem to be guys overlooked in the draft. We are hoping on stellar non-Covid seasons.

Would be nice to have some half decent F/S coming through. seems like we haven't had many other than the SOS boys of late. Not ones that have been a genuine chance to make it anyway. Not that I'm saying any of these are, as I wouldn't have a clue.

Would be nice to have some half decent F/S coming through. seems like we haven't had many other than the SOS boys of late. Not ones that have been a genuine chance to make it anyway. Not that I'm saying any of these are, as I wouldn't have a clue.

We've had shocking F/S luck apart from SOS and (hopefully Jack SOS) and Lance. I know for a fact we are keeping an eye on McKay as an overager however.

We've had shocking F/S luck apart from SOS and (hopefully Jack SOS) and Lance. I know for a fact we are keeping an eye on McKay as an overager however.

Waite as well but yes, it would be nice to have a few more good ones coming through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back