Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
The Northern Knights kicked off its season with a Good Friday win over Western Jets and may have discovered the next excitement machine.
In 30 degree heat at Craigieburn’s Highgate Reserve the Knights outlasted their NAB League rivals to claim a nine-point win, 8.13 (61) to 7.10 (52).

However, it was Dominic Akuei’s performance that had tongues wagging with his marking, athleticism and versatility an intriguing combination.

The 196cm Old Trinity youngster started at full-back and took several intercept marks before being moved into the ruck, showcasing his mobility and leap, finishing with 12 touches, 13 hitouts, three tackles and a goal.
“Dom continues to literally come forward in leaps and bounds, he played full-back and took some amazing marks,” Clarke said.

“We had to swing him into the ruck because Fletcher Parkinson dislocated his shoulder so he stepped in against an AFL-listed ruckman from Geelong (Paul Tsapotolis) and almost jumped clean over him.

“It shows he’s able to impact in multiple roles and his mobility will also allow him to play on the wing, at his height and physiology could become a really exciting prospect.
“He won the 20m (sprint) and jumping at our testing day, which shows the kind of athlete we’re dealing with.”

“He won the 20m (sprint) and jumping at our testing day, which shows the kind of athlete we’re dealing with.”
Just in time for the new rules that would prevent us from matching a bid on him if he went top 20.

What happens in the unlikely event, this Akuie kid goes in the 1st round?

It might not be unlikely, but doesn’t that mean we miss out again?
As above.

Didn’t we hand back the keys to the NGA zone we had?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Every club did, but the academies are still being maintained and each club has a role, along with a blanket ban on being able to match bids on top 20 prospects.

Lace_Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Someone previously asking about Lukas Koutafidies previously. Apparently playing under 11's for Ivanhoe and kicked 11 last week.
He is that much bigger than them all and has zero athletic ability.

A lovely kid but I wouldn't be expecting anything as far as father sons go.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Lace_Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
It's not just that coops, he is just not the natural sporting type imho. Like I said, really nice kid.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Every club did, but the academies are still being maintained and each club has a role, along with a blanket ban on being able to match bids on top 20 prospects.

So clubs can bid on players in our academy but we can't have them if another club want them in the top 20? What if someone bid #20 and we wanted to give up our first round pick for that player?

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
So clubs can bid on players in our academy but we can't have them if another club want them in the top 20? What if someone bid #20 and we wanted to give up our first round pick for that player?
It's live during the draft, so if we have the higher pick we can just select them.

But the idea is that no club can reserve a top 20 draft prospect.

It's live during the draft, so if we have the higher pick we can just select them.

But the idea is that no club can reserve a top 20 draft prospect.

So, if we don't take them with our first pick, we have to hope they get past 20 whereby we can match any bid?

Have them shake hands with Marchbank and get around on crutches for six months before the draft.

Geez, I hope we have Marchbank quarantined while he recovers.

So... when does Lukas get a run out for the club? He has played 2 matches for Ivanhoe U11s, kicked 19 goals
176156917_10215094269830094_4339954556412298171_n.jpg

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
I don’t care what anyone says, if that’s Div 1 U11’s that’s a bloody fair effort and if the kid doesn’t look athletically gifted then imagine if he was....get him in the Academy program and teach him how to get better with his footy and his mind/body

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Akuei is an exciting prospect but he's not top 20 material
Rookie list or a late draft pick at best... that’s how raw he is. Anyone who bids on him for the first 2 rounds is pure speculating on his raw potential

Back