Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

We can add 1. Unless we leave O’Brien and Cottrell in the wilderness.

Your boy Ballenden, northern academy boy is gone in to oblivion. Not up to it.
Schlensog, he of the purple hair, I like the profile and would have thought he warranted a spot, however he has no takers. After a “dominant” period in defence in WAFL, was moved forward later in the season for indifferent at best results. Suggest he has some flaws precluding 18 clubs from picking him up. Perhaps reckons he is a forward and better suited in defence? Off field issues? Potentially wiser and definitely better informed recruiters have thus far overlooked him.

Coona, many players have flaws, just like Arkuei, like Josh Cripps, just like Ballenden and Schlensog

This was your quetiosn

This was also my question -

Name one competing for the same spot as a Cat B rookie

SSP is not a free hit in the exact same way as a ND pick or Cat A pick are not free hits. They each take a spot on the list at the expense of other options.

Cat B is a different story as they fall outside the traditional list and do not count towards overall list numbers.

We have a completely free hit at a kid here if he makes it through the ND. You disagree which is fine, but you're still yet to give me an alternative as to who can fill his spot on the Cat B rookie list.

What about Cat-B eligible for other clubs who aren't picked up? Can we Cat-B them?
Nope, can only be an International or NGA. And had to be nominated by yesterday. We nominated Akuei only - so it's a moot point now anyway. We could have nominated our other two NGA prospects, but we didn't.

So now...
1) If Akuei is nominated in the ND, we have an opportunity to match (if we have a free slot). This is highly unlikely to happen.
2) Otherwise, prior to the Pre-Season Draft, we nominate to pick him up as a Cat-B Rookie. (Secret nomination)
3) If he isn't picked in the PSD by another club, he goes on our Cat-B list, prior to the Rookie Draft.

This was also my question -

SSP is not a free hit in the exact same way as a ND pick or Cat A pick are not free hits. They each take a spot on the list at the expense of other options.

Cat B is a different story as they fall outside the traditional list and do not count towards overall list numbers.

We have a completely free hit at a kid here if he makes it through the ND. You disagree which is fine, but you're still yet to give me an alternative as to who can fill his spot on the Cat B rookie list.

J, It's great that he is a free hit (off the total list numbers, where the maximum is 3), but we have plenty of options for that role, whether thats the main list, rookie Cat A or B, IMHO.

I would prefer we put more time, money and energy in addressing our needs

That's a fair call, but as long as it doesn't hinder satisfying our needs

It can't. Cat B is such a limited talent pool and is in addition to our senior and Cat A allowable numbers. We've had just one Cat B of the 2 allowed for a fair while now.

A lot of our third talls are constantly injured or lack athleticism
Can’t see the downside of free hit that has no effect on our primary or rookie list
If he’s good enough he will find a spot to play
Parks was dropped after some poor games
McGovern is one serious hamstring away from delisting and Marchbank has hardly played a game in two years
Jack doesn’t have an athletic profile
Developing footy iq and skills will be the key looks a great test of our new development program
A third tall that can jump to punch the ball in defence at the height of a ruckman could be very useful

J, It's great that he is a free hit (off the total list numbers, where the maximum is 3), but we have plenty of options for that role, whether thats the main list, rookie Cat A or B, IMHO.

I would prefer we put more time, money and energy in addressing our needs

Think you're possibly mistaken what an actual CATB rookie is..

Who is eligible
  • International players, who are neither Australian citizens nor residents
  • Players from the New South Wales scholarship program
  • Players from the International scholarship program
  • Zone selections by Sydney and Greater Western Sydney from New South Wales or the ACT
  • Zone selections by Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast from Queensland
  • Players from other sports, who have not been registered with an Australian rules football club for three years
  • Indigenous and multicultural players through their Next Generation Academy zones
Akuei wouldn't be taking the position left vacant by Jones, we would still have a SSP or draft (hopefully) pick for Jones retirement..
Hence the free hit comments and you being asked who is better than Akuei that falls under the above categories...

Maximum list number are 42 players + 2 CATB rookies

Nope, can only be an International or NGA. And had to be nominated by yesterday. We nominated Akuei only - so it's a moot point now anyway. We could have nominated our other two NGA prospects, but we didn't.

So now...
1) If Akuei is nominated in the ND, we have an opportunity to match (if we have a free slot). This is highly unlikely to happen.
2) Otherwise, prior to the Pre-Season Draft, we nominate to pick him up as a Cat-B Rookie. (Secret nomination)
3) If he isn't picked in the PSD by another club, he goes on our Cat-B list, prior to the Rookie Draft.
Technically, we could NGA Jamie Koutoufides if he hasn't found a path into the US basketball system and he is agreeable to being selected as a NGA. I don't think that he has played football for about 3-4 years after deciding that he wanted to concentrate on basketball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for Akuei, we get him on our list on a base rookie salary for 3 1 year contracts. If at any time, he doesn't look like he is going to make it. We can delist him and all we have lost is the time and salary we've put into his development.

For the next 3 years, we can train Akuei up as the third tall defender to replace Plowman... if he doesn't put on a couple more cm in height over the next 12-18 months. If he gets up to about 195-196cm in height, he suddenly becomes an intercepting KPD. He is a damned exciting prospect for the future and I can't understand why some people are saying we should look somewhere else as a Cat B rookie.

That's assuming that some other club doesn't decide that he's worth a very late ND pick... which I feel he would be.

Last edited:
If he gets up to about 1950196cm in height, he suddenly becomes an intercepting KPD.

He's going to be a liability when the ball's on the ground.

Technically, we could NGA Jamie Koutoufides if he hasn't found a path into the US basketball system and he is agreeable to being selected as a NGA. I don't think that he has played football for about 3-4 years after deciding that he wanted to concentrate on basketball.
Yes. Tenacious provided a complete list of options (below), I just said International or NGA, which covers the vast majority of options for Vic clubs.

Also, given decision by AFL now, if (unlikely) another club bids on Akuei, then we won't be in a position to match, so only way he comes to us is as a Cat-B rookie. (Well, apart from picking him at 25, which won't happen!!)

Who is eligible
  • Zone selections by Sydney and Greater Western Sydney from New South Wales or the ACT
  • Players from other sports, who have not been registered with an Australian rules football club for three years
  • Indigenous and multicultural players through their Next Generation Academy zones
Akuei wouldn't be taking the position left vacant by Jones, we would still have a SSP or draft (hopefully) pick for Jones retirement..
Hence the free hit comments and you being asked who is better than Akuei that falls under the above categories...

Also, I think we would have had to nominate Jamie (or any other such candidate) by end of Wednesday (17th), so not an option now.

I don't think Arr0w understands what a Cat B rookie is. He seems to think that by taking Dom we can't take another player.

It can't. Cat B is such a limited talent pool and is in addition to our senior and Cat A allowable numbers. We've had just one Cat B of the 2 allowed for a fair while now.

Who is eligible

Exactly! So in a way, Cat B has the largest pool of talent imaginable.

That they also happen to be the least interested in actually playing AFL is a different matter. :p

Yes. Tenacious provided a complete list of options (below), I just said International or NGA, which covers the vast majority of options for Vic clubs.

Also, given decision by AFL now, if (unlikely) another club bids on Akuei, then we won't be in a position to match, so only way he comes to us is as a Cat-B rookie. (Well, apart from picking him at 25, which won't happen!!)
Yeah, he is a fantastic prospect, but I just don't see him as a second round pick. 5th or 6th round project definitely. He is decidedly raw and needs the extra years development before he becomes something special.

He's going to be a liability when the ball's on the ground.
Teach me to touch type, not look at the screen I'm supposed to be looking at while writing the post and then just hitting post without checking.

Is nominating Jamie actually up for consideration? Is he thinking about returning to footy?

Or are we just speaking hypothetically?
It was mentioned to me as a hypothetical by Wickzki one day when we were talking about Lukas. Said it was an option for us if we wanted to go down that route. Don't know if he was thinking about returning to football but it would be interesting if he did. His dad has been doing his fitness training for the last couple of years and complained, I think it was last year, about Jamie running passed from him and he was struggling to keep up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back