Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

BlueTang

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Sorry just caught up on the last 3 pages.
From the discussion about age drafting a few pages back, this would never happen, but would be great for us viewers if it did.

For the draft, the first round, clubs can only select 18 y.o players, second round only 19 y.o players. And third and beyond are 20 y.o plus.
It would make each round really exciting, clubs would work hard to get good talent added to their reserve teams and make sure they had adequate facilities and player payments.
The more I think about the above scenario, the more I like it, but as I said it will never happen sadly!

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
We can add 1. Unless we leave O’Brien and Cottrell in the wilderness.

Your boy Ballenden, northern academy boy is gone in to oblivion. Not up to it.
Schlensog, he of the purple hair, I like the profile and would have thought he warranted a spot, however he has no takers. After a “dominant” period in defence in WAFL, was moved forward later in the season for indifferent at best results. Suggest he has some flaws precluding 18 clubs from picking him up. Perhaps reckons he is a forward and better suited in defence? Off field issues? Potentially wiser and definitely better informed recruiters have thus far overlooked him.
I have no issues leaving Cottrell and LOB out in the wilderness. I like the idea of versatile athletic option of Akuei and seek an SSP option to replace one or both of the other two. Cerra and Hewitt make both obsolete anyway.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
I have no issues leaving Cottrell and LOB out in the wilderness. I like the idea of versatile athletic option of Akuei and seek an SSP option to replace one or both of the other two. Cerra and Hewitt make both obsolete anyway.
Not the thing to do after making a commitment. Get your point though. Really thinking we had huge issues in the coaching area uncovered by the review. Been a LOB supporter since before drafting, but understand the knockers. Kid has skills and can be a weapon. Think he is a good kid, but thinking his “year” was an underwhelming one. Elsewhere Uncle Soapy has stated the advent of Cerra from their year has been an eye opener to LOB and Dow, in that they were not working hard enough. Bit hard to fathom when a machine like Sam Walsh has been with them for 3 years. LOB is gifted skills wise and athletically, yet, despite being a state record holder at 400metres, requiring both speed and stamina he never entered the upper echelon of performers in the running drills. Curnow(s), Cottrell, Walsh, Gibbons, Newnes and even to a lesser degree, but on the tail of the top group Doc and JSOS have been talked about. Have seen LOB seemingly cooked a few times chasing or finding positions in his games, which is more than a little surprising (do know he has had some minor injury niggles). Perhaps lucky to survive given output versus potential, but happy he has the opportunity iunder an “alternate” regime.

Cottrell is lesser skilled, but would be a wonderful role model on the track. Leaves nothing in terms of commitment physically and attitudinally. If drilled relentlessly could become a very important cog, although still leaves me with the impression he is not quite up to the level in terms of aptitude. Can understand his retention, but a bit hard to see him staying in front of the likes of Carroll and Philp, let alone those who have been getting games in the top team along with Cerra and Hewett, now in the equation.

It is a competitive sport and list spots are precious. Fair to say this is not a great year to acquire the talls most of us believe we need, so can see the merit in retaining both youngsters at this stage. Despite losing Jonesy, Charlie is now fit, and despite negative thoughts from many, his issues should be behind him. OMac and Marchy off the injury list leaves us with better competent depth immediately and we have added Young. Adding Kemp to the mix of players who can play tall and perhaps more game time for JSOS and particularly McGovern, with more maturity from our young rucks and we are in a much improved condition. Would like another tall during the SSP window, but some of the names being thrown around here have been ludicrous. And yes, really hoping Crippa’s “little” brother gets a chance to audition if he is not snapped up in the draft (thinking he is a big chance to get to Weagles in rookie draft though)

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Current information, suggests he is a 3rd tall defender, where we have ample option and more pressing needs
In the Northern Knights' games I watched this season he was mostly playing as a half back flanker.

I'd like to see him play as a 3rd tall in our reserves' forward line next season. His leap & agility could be a handful for defenders. Perhaps a bit like Jarrad Waite at his best.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Not the thing to do after making a commitment. Get your point though. Really thinking we had huge issues in the coaching area uncovered by the review. Been a LOB supporter since before drafting, but understand the knockers. Kid has skills and can be a weapon. Think he is a good kid, but thinking his “year” was an underwhelming one. Elsewhere Uncle Soapy has stated the advent of Cerra from their year has been an eye opener to LOB and Dow, in that they were not working hard enough. Bit hard to fathom when a machine like Sam Walsh has been with them for 3 years. LOB is gifted skills wise and athletically, yet, despite being a state record holder at 400metres, requiring both speed and stamina he never entered the upper echelon of performers in the running drills. Curnow(s), Cottrell, Walsh, Gibbons, Newnes and even to a lesser degree, but on the tail of the top group Doc and JSOS have been talked about. Have seen LOB seemingly cooked a few times chasing or finding positions in his games, which is more than a little surprising (do know he has had some minor injury niggles). Perhaps lucky to survive given output versus potential, but happy he has the opportunity iunder an “alternate” regime.

Cottrell is lesser skilled, but would be a wonderful role model on the track. Leaves nothing in terms of commitment physically and attitudinally. If drilled relentlessly could become a very important cog, although still leaves me with the impression he is not quite up to the level in terms of aptitude. Can understand his retention, but a bit hard to see him staying in front of the likes of Carroll and Philp, let alone those who have been getting games in the top team along with Cerra and Hewett, now in the equation.

It is a competitive sport and list spots are precious. Fair to say this is not a great year to acquire the talls most of us believe we need, so can see the merit in retaining both youngsters at this stage. Despite losing Jonesy, Charlie is now fit, and despite negative thoughts from many, his issues should be behind him. OMac and Marchy off the injury list leaves us with better competent depth immediately and we have added Young. Adding Kemp to the mix of players who can play tall and perhaps more game time for JSOS and particularly McGovern, with more maturity from our young rucks and we are in a much improved condition. Would like another tall during the SSP window, but some of the names being thrown around here have been ludicrous. And yes, really hoping Crippa’s “little” brother gets a chance to audition if he is not snapped up in the draft (thinking he is a big chance to get to Weagles in rookie draft though)
Great explanation, thanks. Agree wholeheartedly. Would be a bad look but, timely given this is a new regime who can make a tough stance and just state, "you've had plenty of opportunity..." Cotts in particular is he lacks the potential for above average to elite development ahead of Hewett, Cerra or Evan a Dow/LOB. Great potential to be a solid foot soldier.
LOB has infinitely more potential in terms of skill level and ceiling.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
We have nominated him, so by my understanding if he gets through this evening undrafted, he is automatically Cat B eligible.

Not 100% , maybe has to get through rookie draft, going from memory. Happy to be corrected.
Cheers.

What's he like? Is he anywhere near first team or is he looking at 2-3 years before getting a look in?

My current opinion is that he's athletic and raw, so probably not looking at gametime in the first year as a minimum, but I can't claim to have any actual knowledge on his other than the odd comment in this thread.

PezzDogg95

Debutant
Aug 28, 2013
Princes Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
We have nominated him, so by my understanding if he gets through this evening undrafted, he is automatically Cat B eligible.

Not 100% , maybe has to get through rookie draft, going from memory. Happy to be corrected.
Yep, just has to get through the main draft tonight and will be made a Category B rookie before the Rookie Draft tomorrow.

Pinnell

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
Richmond
AFL Club
Carlton
He's maybe a couple of cm's taller than his dad from the last pic of him I saw on Kouta's farcebook page. Has a very similar build to his dad. I think that if he shows any interest in football, we might be able to NGA him because of his time away from football. And slot him in as a cat B rookie.

Lukas is the one we want. 10 years old, 5'8" tall. At this point in time, just being tall is good enough for him. In a couple of years when sh*t starts getting serious and he starts really training and grows some more and loses all that puppy fat, he is going to be a monster. Think Kouta, but closer to 7' tall. And Lukas is a raving extrovert... the complete opposite of most of our team!
PLayed basketball against my son last year -Cannot move to save himself. .

Lukas ZERO chance of ever playing AFL. Bookmark it.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Cheers.

What's he like? Is he anywhere near first team or is he looking at 2-3 years before getting a look in?

My current opinion is that he's athletic and raw, so probably not looking at gametime in the first year as a minimum, but I can't claim to have any actual knowledge on his other than the odd comment in this thread.
Got a couple of decent reviews from Draft Central boys in the couple of games he played. Was selected for Vic Metro in the preparatory game that got away V vic country and again well reported. Pretty sure played key back, but unless grows more a third tall at higher level. Very athletic undersized key or ruck at lower level with his leap. Would be slow burn, but a free hit and has some quality skills to build on.

PLayed basketball against my son last year -Cannot move to save himself. .

Lukas ZERO chance of ever playing AFL. Bookmark it.
I love how you've written off Lukas at 11 years old. If Lukas wants it bad enough, he will make it. Look at the first two Silvagni boys... Jack... good, not great... but has heart and spirit out of his arse and wants to be a footballer. Ben... talented, supposed to be as good as Stephan, but zero desire.

We'll have to see what happens in a couple of years time as Lukas starts getting older.

Pinnell

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
Richmond
AFL Club
Carlton
I love how you've written off Lukas at 11 years old. If Lukas wants it bad enough, he will make it. Look at the first two Silvagni boys... Jack... good, not great... but has heart and spirit out of his arse and wants to be a footballer. Ben... talented, supposed to be as good as Stephan, but zero desire.

We'll have to see what happens in a couple of years time as Lukas starts getting older.

He won’t make it. Has no athleticism at all. My son is way more athletic, and he has no chance. If his name wasn’t koutifides he would never be known of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He won’t make it. Has no athleticism at all. My son is way more athletic, and he has no chance. If his name wasn’t koutifides he would never be known of.
His name isn't Koutifides.

At 11 years old when you are a rapidly growing kid, you never look athletic. We'll find out how good he is when he's around 15-16 years old and is playing high school sports.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
His eldest son was a bit pudgy and unfit at a similar age but has fittened up massively as he's gone through puberty, which incredibly common.

I'm sure most of us know someone who was pudgy and seemingly overnight turned up to school one day fit as anyone at around 13-15 yrs old.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Cheers.

Definite project player.

Aug 20, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
The HUN online yesterday had a database of the >1,000 players that have nominated for next week's draft. Some of the Blues F/S names included are below. Let me know if I have missed any (Tom Gleeson not there, and I'm not sure whether Hanna and Whitnall boys are draft age).
TSOS, BSOS
Liam and Wil Hickmott
Charlie McKay
Mackenzie Hogg
Archi and Oskar Manton

Do we think there is a sneaky rookie spot available for any of these guys (excluding BSOS)? Are any of them likely to merit a spot?

PS - no mention of Charlie Gibbs or any of the Betts tribe yet - surely they can't be far away!!:laughing:
Archi Manton playing for Port M this year

Just read that we have a NGA player on the Northern Knights' list by the name of Aviela Choka (slightly unfortunate surname). I don't know anything about him, but with the NAB League season starting this weekend I hope to see him in action soon.

At the recent NAB League Boys testing day

Aviela Choka NAB Testing Day March 2022.jpg

Aviela Choka 2 NAB Testing Day March 2022.jpg

Kid already has some muscle on him and the dreads give him instant cult hero status. Doesn't look like a tall so it will be interesting to see where he plays. Kicked 20 goals in 11 matches last season for Eltham so probably a solid Fevola type or an explosive half forward. All speculation at this stage though.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
At the recent NAB League Boys testing day

View attachment 1359970

View attachment 1359969

Kid already has some muscle on him and the dreads give him instant cult hero status. Doesn't look like a tall so it will be interesting to see where he plays. Kicked 20 goals in 11 matches last season for Eltham so probably a solid Fevola type or an explosive half forward. All speculation at this stage though.
Will be easy to spot on the field. Hopefully he will be playing on Saturday when the Northern Knights take on the Swans Academy Team.

On a separate note, Dane Whitnall has been named as part of the Calder Cannons leadership group. He was coming out of his shell a bit & playing good football when the NAB League season ended last year. Hopefully he will continue his development this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back