Best side could look something like:
B: Pound Laloifi
HB: Peterson Trudgeon Dal Pos
C: Guerin Velardo Sherar
Foll: Moody McKay Hill
HF: Walker Gibbs McEvoy
F: Vescio McWilliams
I/C: Skepper Good O'Dea Schaap Plane/Lee

It's still competitive. Just relying on a lot of youth to step up in the midfield in particular.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Might as well make this the list management thread.

Here's my take on our best 22 (positional battles in brackets):

FB: Lee(Plane) Trudgeon
HB: D.Walker Laloifi Pound
C: Guerin Peterson Hill
HF: Vescio Ortlepp(McWilliams) B.Walker(Hammans)
FF: Austin(Milford) Gibbs

R: Moody McEvoy McKay

Int: Sherar, Skepper, Goss, Velardo, O'Dea(Vickers)

Additional Depth:
Jones (KPD), Good (ruck)

Backup: Dal Pos (general defender), Schaap (small forward)

Basically Sherar, Skepper, Goss are part of the on-ball rotation via the bench and the wing. O'Dea can play more of a floating role, but could be pushed out by Vickers as she could shape into a balanced midfielder with the right tutelage. Vickers isn't great by foot, but she wins ground ball, wins aerial ball, and can accelerate well and link decisively by hand. You just iron out the kicking over time.

I'm preferring Lee as that deeper small defender over Plane, but I'm banking on her having gained some pace off the mark as she starts to condition her body more for football.

I'm a big fan of moving Peterson to midfield, as I think she's showed last season that she's got the read and athleticism to accumulate at will inside and outside the contest, while being able to provide an aerial contest at either end. With enough endurance base on her supporting cast (particularly on the outside), she can bulldoze through midfield contests without fearing of leaving a hole in our defensive setup for the opposition to kick the ball through.

Austin, Skepper and Goss weren't my favourite picks considering what we gave up to have the picks that we did, but the latter two can plug straight into our midfield rotations and make strong contributions. Up forward, we can plug Austin straight in as a third tall and some combination of her, Gibbs, Peterson, and Velardo can take 2nd ruck duties as needed.

Velardo is the tall utility who can do a variety of things, but I expect her to be a relieving tall forward and to provide inside midfield pressure when Peterson needs a spell. Mobility is her big weakness, at least for now, so you have to play through her if she's out in space.

Pace and rebound continue to be our concerns, but Guerin, Hill, Walker, Goss and Sherar will hopefully give us a spark, with the expectation that Vescio, B.Walker and Pound can continue to grow that part of their games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back