Carlton AFLW/VFLW Media, Training Reports, Pics etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty rough considering we have built our side to be fierce and hard tackling. Trying to make them a run and spread side won't see us score that much more but will see us scored against heavily.

Yeah that was my first thought too. In this instance entire lists have been strategically picked for a particular game plan. We can't just show up next week with something different without losing effectiveness one would think.

After watching and discussing the game with my children I think this is fair criticism. Let the women play a game that’s attractive to watch. Don’t burden them with the tactics that make the men’s game a rolling maul in a quarter of the ground.

The AFL changed the rules by reducing the interchange by one player and forcing teams to play through the middle for fear of giving away a free kick if they go near the boundary.

Bit rich to then complain about congestion and lack of skills due to fatigue. If they want more attacking footy, get fresh players into the game and don't punish them by giving the ball to the opposition for small errors which cause the ball to go out of bounds.

Here's the AGE equivalent by Jake Nial.

AFL talks to AFLW coaches over defensive tactics

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/womens...s-over-defensive-tactics-20180206-h0uxds.html

Collingwood in particular struggled to score from inside 50s they say.

Hardiman, Stevens, Davey, Brazzale and Gillespie-Jones are the best defensive unit in the game. Should they not defend to their ability?

I think people look at our lack of uncontested ball and we know we lack pace so we s**t down runners very well instead.

Last edited:
Collingwood in particular struggled to score from inside 50s they say.

Hardiman, Stevens, Davey, Brazzale and Gillespie-Jones are the best defensive unit in the game. Should they not defend to their ability.

I think people look at our lack of uncontested ball and we know we lack pace so we s**t down runners very well instead.
Certainly gave the AFL the shits.

I must admit, I watched about 10 minutes of game and turned off. Recorded it to watch later if I felt the need. Is there parts of it worth watching or is this game just worth deleting from PVR straight away?
If there is any play or interview I should fast forward to?
Please let me know which parts of it worth looking at.

I must admit, I watched about 10 minutes of game and turned off. Recorded it to watch later if I felt the need. Is there parts of it worth watching or is this game just worth deleting from PVR straight away?
If there is any play or interview I should fast forward to?
Please let me know which parts of it worth looking at.
Depends what you want to get out of it.

If you are expecting AFL lite, delete now. If you are wanting to watch players go hard at it with all they have, it is worth a look. The skills need work, that is not in dispute. The endeavour was top class.

I only watched the last quarter and a bit. Carlton's hard tackling and defensive desperation made the game a great spectacle for me.
Hilarious over reaction from an administration completely lost peering up it's own clacker.

What exactly can or will the AFL do if we don't start playing a more attacking style of footy?
Sulk, pout and whinge.

I'm going to re-watch the game to check out the inside 50s. I suspect skill level and slow ball movement allowed us to get players back to help out more often than not.

It really is ludicrous when you stop and think about it. The rules will dictate the spectacle you end up with so maybe work on them if you're not happy with the end result. Telling a team that is playing within the rules and winning that they need to play a different way within the rules is pathetic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It really is ludicrous when you stop and think about it. The rules will dictate the spectacle you end up with so maybe work on them if you're not happy with the end result. Telling a team that is playing within the rules and winning that they need to play a different way within the rules is pathetic.

Good point.

Umpires went whistle happy in the first minutes, which essentially set the standard.

Gotta let the game sort itself out.

Never gunna happen, thank god a sobered up Gil stepped/stood/alighted?? off his polo horse to deliver an edict.

The AFL changed the rules by reducing the interchange by one player and forcing teams to play through the middle for fear of giving away a free kick if they go near the boundary.

Bit rich to then complain about congestion and lack of skills due to fatigue. If they want more attacking footy, get fresh players into the game and don't punish them by giving the ball to the opposition for small errors which cause the ball to go out of bounds.

Had the same thought. Lots of players lacking the confidence to go near the boundary with their disposal effectively reduces the size of the ground = more congestion.

Maybe these ****en idiots at AFL house should get down to training and practice matches over the preseason and see what the coaches game plans actually are....there’s no way a real coach would change those tactics when the season has started.

Amateur hour

Completely.

There should be two scenarios which can occur here

1) Our defensive gameplan is good enough to beat everyone and win the premiership. If this is the case and the AFL don't like it, they can change the rules for next season to force us to change our gameplan (highly unlikely.)

2) Our defensive gameplan has weaknesses which will be figured out and exploited by other teams, forcing us to tweak and change it in response to them - that's natural evolution (highly likely.)

Or if you're the AFL then there' s....
3) The AFL intervening after one round telling us our completely legal gameplan needs to change.

Total crap.

Depends what you want to get out of it.

If you are expecting AFL lite, delete now.
No, I just want to know if there is any part of game truly worth watching. There are some mens games I do not bother with after seeing them once. When we beat Essendon in 2016 that game I did not want to see a second time. Some of womens games were decent to watch last year. Was there any of the game from Friday I would be missing out on if do not look at in next day or two before clearing space of drive ?

Gil needs to shut the * up and go watch the first half again. Collingwood turned it into a scrap after we got ahead of them.

Or does he think 27 free kicks paid to one team in a 90 minute game sounds normal?

Had the same thought. Lots of players lacking the confidence to go near the boundary with their disposal effectively reduces the size of the ground = more congestion.
Yeah I think this last-touch rule might actually produce the opposite effect to what they were hoping.

Kicking in the AFLW is a lot more mistake-riddled than the men's game, and the gap between the good kicks and the bad is a chasm in comparison too. Some are beautiful kicks of the ball, most are average, and a significant number can shank it pretty hard under pressure. It's no surprise the rule has led to strategies that try to reduce the chances of turning it over, and it's also meant that there are fewer throw-ins from kicks that sail wide into the F50. Reckon someone like Vescio was given fewer opportunities to score from stoppages because of it.

No, I just want to know if there is any part of game truly worth watching. There are some mens games I do not bother with after seeing them once. When we beat Essendon in 2016 that game I did not want to see a second time. Some of womens games were decent to watch last year. Was there any of the game from Friday I would be missing out on if do not look at in next day or two before clearing space of drive ?
I would recommend watching, but you won't really know until you do.

The AFL ****ed up by changing the rules without understanding the consequences.

Now the AFL want to shift the responsibility for fixing the problem to the coaches who are simply following the rules as set out by the AFL.

If nothing happens and the games stay low scoring, the AFL can now blame the coaches for the consequences of the AFL decisions.

Win/win for the AFL.

After watching and discussing the game with my children I think this is fair criticism. Let the women play a game that’s attractive to watch. Don’t burden them with the tactics that make the men’s game a rolling maul in a quarter of the ground.

Hang on, we want to create a professional national football league for women, but they shouldn't be allowed to develop, learn and employ defensive tactics because the game won't be pretty enough?

Bollocks, sir.

I understand the AFL has invested money in the AFLW and want it to succeed...but at the end of the day it's a professional sporting code and coaches/teams/players should be allowed to determine which gameplan they believe to be best suited to their list and their chances of winning.

Footy is sport, not theatre. May the best team win.

The AFL will be writing scripts for games soon the way it's going. They change the fundamental rules of our game more than any other competition in the world does.

It's ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back