Welcome to East Germany Carlton and Collingwood - who finishes higher in 2023?

Who finishes higher?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

BringouttheGimp

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
The Gerard and Andy double act was a thing of beauty...

Look.. he's always been a talented caller.. you know.. with the Makybe Diva calls and that in the Race that stops a nation.. but that call man.. but that call man.. mate.. that call.. propelled him to absolute superstar status man.

Last edited:

JyeDye

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Hollands gets picked by Carlton. Double fist pump, massive smile, hugs from all the family. He's just ecstatic to be joining such a great club.

Allen gets picked by Collingwood. Literal tears down his face, parents are clearly upset. Going to be going home in a couple years, I don't know why they would pick a WA boy when their culture is so s**t they can't even maintain someone from Geelong.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hollands gets picked by Carlton. Double fist pump, massive smile, hugs from all the family. He's just ecstatic to be joining such a great club.

Allen gets picked by Collingwood. Literal tears down his face, parents are clearly upset. Going to be going home in a couple years, I don't know why they would pick a WA boy when their culture is so s**t they can't even maintain someone from Geelong.
Yep, that's how I saw it too...

😮😮😮

BringouttheGimp

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

How many Collingwood players.. of their own volition.. requested a trade back home to WA SA NSW etc?

JyeDye

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
How many Collingwood players.. of their own volition.. requested a trade back home to WA SA NSW etc?
Don't know, don't care. Glad you added the 'of their own volition' part though, good to see some semblance of self awareness in your terrible list management strategies. But ask me again in 2 years and we can add another to the tally.

Sky

Prince Pretty
Feb 14, 2021
ADL
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
Yes, it was disappointing we lost a player who was ranked in our 24th to 28th best back to Geelong, but I think we'll survive.
What’s your thoughts on Beau McCreery dude? Seems to be the only Collingwood player under 22 that I enjoy watching play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kreuuuzeurns

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

Not only that, they then go and trade Carlton the rights to the best Tasmanian prospect since Ian Stewart for pick 36 in 12 months time.

Is Ned Guy still calling the shots?

BringouttheGimp

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Don't know, don't care. Glad you added the 'of their own volition' part though, good to see some semblance of self awareness in your terrible list management strategies. But ask me again in 2 years and we can add another to the tally.

You don't know?

Ok

Will you at least acknowledge it is a rare event?

manicpie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Our terrible list management has had us playing a s**t load of finals in the last few years, remind again why your list management is better?

JyeDye

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Our terrible list management has had us playing a s**t load of finals in the last few years, remind again why your list management is better?
Congrats on participating in a few finals, guess that puts you up there with some absolute powerhouses of the competition in the last 6 years like the Brisbane Lions or Port Adelaide. Don't see those teams paying any other teams to play their players though, so I guess they're still ahead.

manicpie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Congrats on participating in a few finals, guess that puts you up there with some absolute powerhouses of the competition in the last 6 years like the Brisbane Lions or Port Adelaide. Don't see those teams paying any other teams to play their players though, so I guess they're still ahead.
Let's go back to the goal posts. Have we played in a s**t load of finals in the last few years?. 2= how many finals have you even made in the last few years. Remember, you said our list management is poor yet here we are

JyeDye

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Let's go back to the goal posts. Have we played in a s**t load of finals in the last few years?. 2= how many finals have you even made in the last few years. Remember, you said our list management is poor yet here we are
So you've been able develop a somewhat better then mediocre list that has been slightly better then 10 other clubs. Congrats, I'm sure that's what every list manager sets out to do when they get the job. Strive for some genuine success ffs.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Carlton's great list management strategy:

1. Pay a handful of players a truckload of money to keep them satisfied despite not playing finals.

2. Fill the remainder of your list with players who feel fortunate to be on an AFL list, and are not attractive to opposition clubs.

3. Continually fail to make finals so as to avoid the salary cap pressures experienced by better clubs.

Has worked a charm in recent times!

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
So you've been able develop a somewhat better then mediocre list that has been slightly better then 10 other clubs. Congrats, I'm sure that's what every list manager sets out to do when they get the job. Strive for some genuine success ffs.
Every list manager strives to build a list to contend for a premiership/s.

Once you're in contention, it all boils down to how it all comes together in September.

The only team in recent times that has been materially better than all opposition clubs has been Geelong between 2007 and 2011.

manicpie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

1. Pay a handful of players a truckload of money to keep them satisfied despite not playing finals.

2. Fill the remainder of your list with players who feel fortunate to be on an AFL list, and are not attractive to opposition clubs.

3. Continually fail to make finals so as to avoid the salary cap pressures experienced by better clubs.

I'm just having a bit of fun but old mates theory about list management is really bad

JyeDye

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton

These players that are getting paid a 'truckload of money' are 22, 24, 25, 25 and Cripps being the oldest at 27. But sure, it's all failed, even though it's barely even started.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
These players that are getting paid a 'truckload of money' are 22, 24, 25, 25 and Cripps being the oldest at 27. But sure, it's all failed, even though it's barely even started.
Before the current crop - Williams, McGovern, Martin, Cripps.

And before that - Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer.

There's a distinct pattern there - shallow lists do not contend.

BringouttheGimp

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cam Cloke for 36 pearlers. Daisy.. 101.. albeit.. it did take him a while to get going.. he did play reasonable footy for Carlton in the end after finding his niche in a back pocket. 3 of the best from Mick Mcguane. 3 1/2 great years of the Malt. We've played our little part to keep the rivalry alive. It's not as if we.. doon't care.. it's not as if we.. doon't care.

Last edited: