Welcome to East Germany Carlton and Collingwood - who finishes higher in 2023? Collingwood Ofcourse

Who finishes higher?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope these two teams make finals next year. Both play exciting football.

Blues have two capable forwards to destroy a game on their own. Plus a solid mifield, Cripps is amazing to watch when on song.

I didnt expect pies to have a year like they did this year. Despite no "big name" signings coming to us. I feel like we are plugging some holes/adding depth with the recruits in

Hill - Works in with ginni up forward as another style of small forward with pace. Pushes McCreery up the ground hopefully. Will fit our run and gun/space style perfectly.
McStay - Gives us versatility , plus puts Mihocek down a rung in the forward pecking order to not have to cop the number 1 key defender week in week out
Frampton - Massive hit with no risk in bringing in.
Mitchell - This one would improve us , we get killed in clearances , if we have T Mitchell roaming around dishing out to De Goey & the Daicos bros , it will improve us hugely.
Hayes - Gives a bit of ruck depth if required , see Frampton

Losing Grundy whilst hurts , we had him for stuff all this year, does he get us over the line in the prelim? Possibly. Does the offset of losing his contract and paying out a portion to another club make us better? Probably not. I can see where the club is going though in releasing him. Has a bit of Treloar feel about it. Eddie really made a mess of this club in the later years.

Blues top 4

Pies 3 to 6

2022 was amazing footy , hope 2023 brings it also
I wouldnt be surprised if eddie had the inside track heads up on what the new salary cap would be and collingwood signed its stars in that year based on that.

Nek minut covid hit and the next salary cap was way less that he had guys already signed up to and the collingwood fire sale began….

No doubt - Saad does a lot that the stats sheet doesn’t show. My point was more so that Noble is viewed as a bottom 5-6 player, and still provides really good output. Just wanted to validate the point of how even our 22 is more so than making it about Noble v Saad. Noble’s numbers are pretty decent whilst not even being a top 10-15 player for the Pies.

Taking nothing away from Pittonet, but surely you can acknowledge having guys like Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra and Kennedy crumbing yours or the opposition ruckman’s taps, you’re going to look like a bloody superstar. You’re probably giving Pittonet far too much credit for what those midfielders are delivering for the Blues out of the middle.

As a comparison, we’re not a strong clearance side, and with one of the better ruckmen in the competition in Grundy, we still didn’t have great clearance numbers. A ruckman’s role is important, but a ruckman is only as good as the inside mids around him and they glorify the stats you just shared.

Cox has been a better ruckman than Cameron this year (Cameron has been better around the ground) and for Collingwood to be willing to trade out Grundy and rely on Cox/Cameron tells you just how dependable those guys are in the ruck, without being spectacular.

Cox has had an alright season and I’d go with him over Pittonet because he probably offers abit more around the ground on top. Not a big deal which way you/I go, as neither are even top 10-15 for either of their respective sides.

Ginnivan would probably be a more accurate comparison to Motlop and that’s a non-contest based purely on the vastly superior goal kicking difference alone.

Fair enough re McCreery vs Fisher but just like you mentioned the age/games difference between Motlop/McCreery, the same applies with Fisher/McCreery. Fisher has been in the system for 6 seasons and has almost 100 games to his name. This is probably as good as we’ll see from Fisher whereas McCreery just played his first full AFL season and only turned 21 in the middle of the season.
Noted and accepted your point about Saad/Noble, but you're way off the mark with Pittonet.
Our midfield was humming with him as the ruck. We were one of the best clearance sides in the league and I think the best from scores off stoppages. When he was out that changed dramatically. TDK had the same guys crumbing to him and was clearly struggling to get anywhere near the level of Pitto.
While I'd like to see him do it over a full season, I reckon he was every bit of a top 5 ruck before injury.

Point off a grannie and you think there's no depth and substance to the list. You sure you know what your talking about. Can I remind you the Blues haven't been in finals since 2013. Pies since then have been in 5 with 3prlims and 30seconds from premiers. Man wake up your club is s**t.
I don't want to take away from what Collingwood achieved this year, because it was good, but it should have been good. Forget about their finishing position last year and where a lot of people thought they might finish. They were fielding one of the oldest and most experienced sides most weeks, with around 8-12 players most weeks who had played in a GF in recent times.
Being 1pt off a GF means literally nothing in regards to their depth this year.
Although it's funny that you're claiming 1pt away from a certain achievement with an experienced list as a positive victory, while dismissing Carlton being 1pt away from another achievement while fielding one of the youngest and least experienced sides.

Although it's funny that you're claiming 1pt away from a certain achievement with an experienced list as a positive victory, while dismissing Carlton being 1pt away from another achievement while fielding one of the youngest and least experienced sides.
You really want plaudits for Carlton being one point off scraping into the Top 8 when you have a Brownlow Medallist, the last two Coleman Medal winners, a handful of All-Australians, and as I have just read, a top 5 ruck in the comp?!?

What do you think the gulf is between missing out on the top 8 by a point and missing the Grand Final by a point?

😮😮😮

What do you think the gulf is between missing out on the top 8 by a point and missing the Grand Final by a point?

😮😮😮

Experience. Which did show in round 23 when we shat the bed.

Four of the top five in the Copeland 29 or older.

Seems the club rates the contributions of Pendles, Sidebottom and Howe slightly more than those supporters on BigFooty who have suggested they’ll be easily replaced by the likes of Poulter, Ruscoe and Dean.

Interested to see how that transition plays out.

You really want plaudits for Carlton being one point off scraping into the Top 8 when you have a Brownlow Medallist, the last two Coleman Medal winners, a handful of All-Australians, and as I have just read, a top 5 ruck in the comp?!?

😮😮😮
Not much mate and deep down you would know that.

Noted and accepted your point about Saad/Noble, but you're way off the mark with Pittonet.
Our midfield was humming with him as the ruck. We were one of the best clearance sides in the league and I think the best from scores off stoppages. When he was out that changed dramatically. TDK had the same guys crumbing to him and was clearly struggling to get anywhere near the level of Pitto.
While I'd like to see him do it over a full season, I reckon he was every bit of a top 5 ruck before injury.
You guys won your fair share of clearance differentials but the ones with Pittonet were your better numbers 👌🏼

Experience. Which did show in round 23 when we shat the bed.

Four of the top five in the Copeland 29 or older.

Seems the club rates the contributions of Pendles, Sidebottom and Howe slightly more than those supporters on BigFooty who have suggested they’ll be easily replaced by the likes of Poulter, Ruscoe and Dean.

Interested to see how that transition plays out.
Fly and has his coaching staff have played experience over youth majority of the season and rewarded experience over youth consistently in the selection committee week after week - they were clearly playing to win whilst maintaining some element of youth in 22. There were times where you could push a strong case for a Fin Macrae or Ollie Henry to come back based on VFL form but they’d get overlooked - almost like he didn’t want to gift games without extended VFL form.

In all honesty, I was surprised to see Howe and Sidebottom finish so high in the B&F, but follows the theme of the coaches wanting to reward these experienced guy for their effort. I don’t think Sidebottom or Howe had better seasons than Daicos or Maynard for example. That’s with all due respect for the seasons Sidey and Howe had.

Who are Collingwood’s bottom 6 chunkylover , Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods , WalshistheGOAT ?

FB - Maynard, Murphy, Howe
HB - nDaicos, Moore, IQ
C - Sidey, Mitchell, jDaicos
HF - Johnson, McStay, Elliott
FF - Ginnivan, Mihocek, Hill
R - Cameron, Crisp, JDG

Int - Noble, Lipinski, Adams, Pendles

Let’s compare the two side’s bottom 6 to see who has better quality ‘depth’ in the 22.
Someone in SEN is reading BF 😂

A14F3545-EBEC-47D2-8669-B0F739CFB11D.jpeg

Almost identical team to mine minus rearranging the back 6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you think luck had any baring in what your and my team achieved this year, then fairytales do come true in your world. Pies will strengthen their position further whilst the sainters will be digging for gold in a sewerage farm as per usual. Enjoy.

Of course luck plays a part, especially when games are close. Normally, close games run at a 50/50 win/loss over 2-3 seasons.

Team/player mindset, momentum, belief does play a role, and the Pies showed plenty of those traits this year, but it is not a given for any side from year to year

😮😮😮

Not sure how long you will keep rolling out the same rhetoric, without considering all factors, nor is it a viable analysis as to what will play out next year

Team/player mindset, momentum, belief does play a role, and the Pies showed plenty of those traits this year, but it is not a given for any side from year to year
It affected the opposition too. The longer that weird streak went on, the more you could see oppo teams crapping themselves in the last quarter as the Pies closed in

That bubble burst in the finals though, losing two close ones, we're back to square one

But we're in great shape... active in the trade market, finally ditched the insipid Browns and N Daicos and Ginny on the rise

We're gonna be hard to stop, looking at another top 4 finish and flag run

It affected the opposition too. The longer that weird streak went on, the more you could see oppo teams crapping themselves in the last quarter as the Pies closed in

That bubble burst in the finals though, losing two close ones, we're back to square one

But we're in great shape... active in the trade market, finally ditched the insipid Browns and N Daicos and Ginny on the rise

We're gonna be hard to stop, looking at another top 4 finish and flag run
Geelong handled it extremely well, that’s why they’re premiers, they’re the best. Sydney on the other hand absolutely s**t the bed, and would’ve lost that Prelim with one more minute to play. They couldn’t get it passed the half way line, like so many other teams, in that last quarter. To reel them in from 6 goals down to 1 point is evidence of that.

I wouldnt be surprised if eddie had the inside track heads up on what the new salary cap would be and collingwood signed its stars in that year based on that.

Nek minut covid hit and the next salary cap was way less that he had guys already signed up to and the collingwood fire sale began….

Could be right. Thats where he lost the plot , thought he was above everything/everyone/rules , put pies in a hole really

Geelong handled it extremely well, that’s why they’re premiers, they’re the best. Sydney on the other hand absolutely s**t the bed, and would’ve lost that Prelim with one more minute to play. They couldn’t get it passed the half way line, like so many other teams, in that last quarter. To reel them in from 6 goals down to 1 point is evidence of that.
Pretty brittle - but they are also a young team.

No doubt ten more minutes would have had a oies win by a few goals and another quarter would have been embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back