Welcome to East Germany Carlton and Collingwood - who finishes higher in 2023? Collingwood Ofcourse

Who finishes higher?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well we beat this years runner up, came within a goal x2 against the Pies and Dees and had a couple of stinkers against the Lions and Cats - it’s a decent indication of our form and capability as a team.
You also lost to Gold Coast, St. Kilda and Adelaide, which also gives some insight into where you're at as a team.

Middle of the road.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Pies won 16 games and lost by a kick during the finals series to both Grand Final sides. That's where we're at.
Or in other words you scraped over the line in a stack of games including against some decidedly average teams and then lost the majority of your finals matches.

All a matter of perspective.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Shows how even the comp is. Anyone can beat anyone on their day
They sure can.

But the better teams find ways to win enough games to qualify for finals/top 4 and give themselves a chance at the pointy end.

The lesser teams reflect on their occasional good wins they have throughout the season and watch others contend in September.

carlton_99

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal & NY Knicks
They sure can.

But the better teams find ways to win enough games to qualify for finals/top 4 and give themselves a chance at the pointy end.

The lesser teams reflect on their occasional good wins they have throughout the season and watch others contend in September.
Has anyone here said Carlton were better then Collingwood in 2022? Seems two different points are being argued here

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Why are you comparing Carlton 2022 to Melbourne 2021?

There are zero parallels.
Because you listed 3 mediocre teams we lost to in 2022 - I countered that by stating last years Premiers lost to 3 sides - in their premiership year - that were even worse than some of the mediocre teams we lost to this year.

That’s an incredibly obvious parallel.

Surely you’re not that dense.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Because you listed 3 mediocre teams we lost to in 2022 - I countered that by stating last years Premiers lost to 3 sides - in their premiership year - that were even worse than some of the mediocre teams we lost to this year.

That’s an incredibly obvious parallel.

Surely you’re not that dense.
But they countered it by beating enough good sides to firstly finish top 4, and ultimately win the flag.

Carlton lost to good teams, and bad teams, and found themselves watching from the stands in September.

No parallels.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
But they countered it by beating enough good sides to firstly finish top 4, and ultimately win the flag.

Carlton lost to good teams, and bad teams, and found themselves watching from the stands in September.

No parallels.
Our performance floor in 2022 was higher than Melbourne’s performance floor in 2021 - the year they won the flag.

We also beat 4 of the Top 8, including this years runners up, so we were capable of beating good sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
So you were missing:
1 of your top 5;
1 of your players ranked 6 to 10;
3 players ranked somewhere between 11 and 22.

How did you even field a team?

🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️
Maybe go back and read the post I was replying to. Context is key.
The poster claimed Blues supporters were storming out of the G after 'watching the best side they had fielded in 20 years'.
If 5 best 22 players are missing, how can it be the best side we've fielded?

Attempting to rank the players is pointless in the context of the comment. As long as they are ranked 1-22, the original comment I replied to is incorrect.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maybe go back and read the post I was replying to. Context is key.
The poster claimed Blues supporters were storming out of the G after 'watching the best side they had fielded in 20 years'.
If 5 best 22 players are missing, how can it be the best side we've fielded?

Attempting to rank the players is pointless in the context of the comment. As long as they are ranked 1-22, the original comment I replied to is incorrect.
Yep sorry, I forgot.

Carlton are the only team in the competition who get injuries.

If you're talking context, I suggest the original poster was referring to Carlton's current list, allegedly being the best list you've had in two decades, not specifically the team you fielded in round 23.

May 16, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm so thankful for the Collingwood supporters presence on this website. To have such insightful commentary about how to be successful in the modern game, how to develop a club to be such a powerhouse like theirs is so valuable. It doesn't matter that they've only won 2 premierships since 1960, they lost in some finals by close margins! How cool is that, they really know what they're doing over there.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm so thankful for the Collingwood supporters presence on this website. To have such insightful commentary about how to be successful in the modern game, how to develop a club to be such a powerhouse like theirs is so valuable. It doesn't matter that they've only won 2 premierships since 1960, they lost in some finals by close margins! How cool is that, they really know what they're doing over there.
To be fair, Collingwood do know how to build a team to contend in the modern era, something Carlton haven't shown since they had to dispose of their stock of brown paper bags.

27 years since their last flag, 23 years since their last Grand Final. Sad to think there are some Carlton supporters posting on this website who have never seen their team legitimately contend for a premiership, let alone win one.

:sadv1::sadv1::sadv1:

May 16, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
To be fair, Collingwood do know how to build a team to contend in the modern era, something Carlton haven't shown since they had to dispose of their stock of brown paper bags.

27 years since their last flag, 23 years since their last Grand Final. Sad to think there are some Carlton supporters posting on this website who have never seen their team legitimately contend for a premiership, let alone win one.

Arggh, the second paragraph is a little to close to home. You should be bowing down to me as someone who has watched us finish last half my life. I've overcome the feelings of sadness or feeling let down. I've transcended the human mind to become such a powerful force in the world. That's what Carlton FC has done for me. It's enabled me to become such a resilient and strong person. What has Collingwood done for you? Made you feel a little bit excited when you make another prelim to just lose again? We are not the same.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Yep sorry, I forgot.

Carlton are the only team in the competition who get injuries.

If you're talking context, I suggest the original poster was referring to Carlton's current list, allegedly being the best list you've had in two decades, not specifically the team you fielded in round 23.
The mental gymnastics you do to get to your conclusions is honestly astounding. I'm not sure if that's an insult, or a compliment, because it's impressive in a 'banging your head against a brick wall' kind of way.

I never claimed Carlton are the only team that have injuries, but even the dumbest person could agree that the quality and number of injuries varies greatly from team to team and can make a significant difference. Just because two teams have 10 injuries each, doesn't mean both will cover those injuries the same. Having players 31-40 injured is a lot different to having players 4-13 injured, regardless of depth.

As for the original comment, he was very specifically talking about the round 23 game. Having our best overall list in 20 years is great if the best players from that list are available for key games.

Missed finals by one point, but missing our #2, #3 and #5 mids, #2 ruck (who also happens to be the #3 tall forward) and a rebounding half back who averages 20 disposals a game had nothing to do with that.

Thanks for that. Every now and then you just need a reminder of why you had someone on ignore.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arggh, the second paragraph is a little to close to home. You should be bowing down to me as someone who has watched us finish last half my life. I've overcome the feelings of sadness or feeling let down. I've transcended the human mind to become such a powerful force in the world. That's what Carlton FC has done for me. It's enabled me to become such a resilient and strong person. What has Collingwood done for you? Made you feel a little bit excited when you make another prelim to just lose again? We are not the same.
They spent the 2nd half of the season on a crazy winning streak, playing some exciting footy in tense, close games, but constantly sooked every week and played the victim. A couple of them around here spent all their time talking about Carlton...

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond

Yep 100%, you just ‘contend’. Carlton are a better club than you. They actually win when they up are there instead of choking. 16 flags to 15 as well. Pies are literally just a b grade Carlton and I can’t stand the blues. They will also finish higher than you next year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Yep 100%, you just ‘contend’. Carlton are a better club than you. They actually win when they up are there instead of choking. 16 flags to 15 as well. Pies are literally just a b grade Carlton and I can’t stand the blues. They will also finish higher than you next year.

Most reasonable, well thought out post in this thread.

May 16, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton

I have always thought you were the smartest and most knowledgeable poster on this website, and this just confirms it. I think we can end this argument now, sorry Collingwood supporters, the GOAT Falcon has chimed in.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood

Difference between Pies and Blues is that in AFL era only one club has actually been able to get it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back