Welcome to East Germany Carlton and Collingwood - who finishes higher in 2023? Collingwood Ofcourse

Who finishes higher?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I won't lie - I haven't seen enough of Dow to pass judgement. To be fair to Bianco, Carmichael and Macrae, they are fighting with the likes of Sidebottom, Daicos and Crisp for positions in the midfield and haven't had a proper crack at senior level to be written off. I think the most amongst them is Bianco with 22 games, and he showed glimpses this year.

Even Dow - pretty harsh to be written off after just 63 AFL games. He is older than the guys at Collingwood, so they do have at least another 12-24 months before they can be deemed as busts.

Re Frampton - he is purely coming as depth/emergency in case of injuries. If he is holding down a spot in our back 6, I would be incredibly surprised, or he is incredibly better than I thought he was.

Thats just our list profile though - so the exercise you've gone with isn't exactly fair. We don't have as many youngsters as you guys do. Neither does Geelong - doesn't mean you're automatically better than Geelong in '24-'25.

A more accurate one is the 2023 sides we had going earlier - that is reflecting everything we know WILL be on the list. Collingwood's is ALOT more balanced than Carlton's, which drops off very quickly after the top 5 or so players.

Same could've been said about Richmond a few years ago about their KPF stocks. Fast forward to 2022, they have one of the best contested marking forwards in the game and one of the more exciting potentialed younger KPFs in Cumberland. In an era of FA, it isn't hard to address this fairly quickly.

In regards to midfielders, well that isn't exactly fair. We've probably got the most exciting young prospect in the competition in Nick Daicos. His brother is 23 and was in an AA squad, and Lipinski is a quality midfielder, similar vein to Crisp a few years ago.

Re the 'good young flanker options' comment - Thats where good young players start their AFL careers before transitioning to their rightful positions. Daicos is a prime example of that.

War between clubs was for pick 7, not for Jack Bowes. Going on exposed form, Fiorini is around the same level as Bowes. Pretty tough on one or the other to be saying definitively they aren't even close. You're just being a bit biased against the Pies with that comment because you don't want to rate the one going to the Pies.
Top 5 players? Saad, Curnow, Docherty, Walsh, Mckay, Weitering, Cripps, Hewett, Cerra, Williams... That's 10 who are genuine guns and walk into any team in the league when healthy... Then our next tier below that is still of good quality in Kennedy, Acres, Young, Motlop, Fisher, Mcgovern, Marchbank, Newman, Martin, Dekoning. Most of those players above would be playing in most teams and at worst fringe best 22 players. Our tier below that unfortunately wouldn't get a game at any team in the comp outside of North and maybe West Coast and they make up the last 2-3 players in our 22 as well as some areas of the ground's depth. Half of them are young and improving so hopefully they'll be moving out of that bracket and into the 2nd tier as they mature being highly rated draftees, half of them are mid age plodders who have/are being moved on now to minimize the amount of players in that tier.

Cumberlands 183cm tall so I'm not sure what you're on about there with young KPF?? Also Tom Lynch's almost never just become available like you make them out to... Clubs move heaven and earth to make sure players of that ilk never see a trade period without multiple years left on their contracts. The Tigers got very lucky given the circumstances surrounding Gold Coast at the time and it syncing up with being the most recent premiers to attract his talents.

Your point about the Bowes deal is bizarre. Collingwoods paying to get Fiorini across... Geelong is being paid to take Bowes. There's almost no similarities and just about every club in the league would prefer to be taking on the Bowes deal for access to pick 7. So back to my point, Geelong's continually bringing in quality in the form of pick 7, Bruhn, Henry etc in their deals... Pies are bringing in Mcstay, Fiorini and Frampton on premium contracts.

Carlton look so much better on paper, but pies are tough and their coach looks great.
But have to say Carlton.
Both defences good
Carlton forward line better
Carlton mids and depth better
Carlton rucks better (if Grundy stays this would change to even)
It’s the forward and mids where the difference is. If Carlton had had Walsh, Hewitt, Kennedy playing in last round they couldn’t have lost. Collingwood would have had to kick 10 goals in the last 5 minutes. That can’t be done.
And Carlton also had crazy amount of injuries all year. At one stage that North guy Durdin was the only defender and Cripps had to ruck. Even run with injuries and they were top 4 this year.
Carlton 1-5
Pies 5-10

....Geelong's continually bringing in quality in the form of pick 7, Bruhn, Henry etc in their deals... Pies are bringing in Mcstay, Fiorini and Frampton on premium contracts.
Got to love this point.

Pick 7, Bruhn and Henry are all 'quality' despite all being unproven? Particularly Henry - it would be 'nice' if Collingwood could retain him, but he fell down the pecking order over the course of the season with Johnson and Carmichael being given a chance, so he will likely be superflous to Collingwood's needs going forward.

But the players we are looking to bring have been targeted to help with obvious deficiencies we currently have - that is how a team improves.

I'm pretty confident we'll get more return from McStay despite paying him less than Carlton have got from Williams on his $800K to $900K salary, who was picked up by Carlton despite already having a glut of half-back flankers.

Got to love this point.

Pick 7, Bruhn and Henry are all 'quality' despite all being unproven? Particularly Henry - it would be 'nice' if Collingwood could retain him, but he fell down the pecking order over the course of the season with Johnson and Carmichael being given a chance, so he will likely be superflous to Collingwood's needs going forward.

But the players we are looking to bring have been targeted to help with obvious deficiencies we currently have - that is how a team improves.

I'm pretty confident we'll get more return from McStay despite paying him less than Carlton have got from Williams on his $800K to $900K salary, who was picked up by Carlton despite already having a glut of half-back flankers.
No doubt Williams on his contract has been a blunder, but our teams ability to improve doesn't rest almost at all on Williams. He's an added bonus if he's healthy whereas Collingwood's desperate need for a quality KPF is in the hands of a proven average/mediocre 3rd tall option in Mcstay...

64 years of contending for 2 premierships must be quite depressing.

There are North Melbourne and Melbourne supporters in aged care homes that have seen twice the success of the Colliwobbles.

It’s all relative.

All this discussion is extremely reassuring in that there are bound to be plenty of avenues for me to clean up again in 2023 on my standard bets:
1. Carlton to miss the top 8
2. Collingwood to finish above Carlton.

Bloody hell, I might as well print the $$$ bills myself..

Thought you picked us for the spoon this year and next. Tigers to beat us by 60+ in round 1, Pies to finish above Demons and Blues in 2021

I really have lost count
How much you putting on? Might join you going the other way.

The usual, $1 then claim he won heaps
Gotta love Carlton supporters crying foul year on year. Their incompetence is never the club's or player's fault, it's always somebody else's!

Ah yes, but same amount of flags in the last 3 and 4 decades, 6 more over the last 6 decades.

Love that level of incompetence

Or injuries.

Or unfair draws...
So injures are an excuse for us this year, yet a valid reason for you finishing bottom 4 last year

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought you picked us for the spoon this year and next. Tigers to beat us by 60+ in round 1, Pies to finish above Demons and Blues in 2021

I really have lost count

The usual, $1 then claim he won heaps

Ah yes, but same amount of flags in the last 3 and 4 decades, 6 more over the last 6 decades.

Love that that level of incompetence

So injures are an excuse for us this year, yet a valid reason for you finishing bottom 4 last year
None of these trollers ever reply to a question mate - perhaps they have no answers.

Pies finished bottom four last year because they had a crap year. Lost a couple of early close games, failed to gain any momentum, and clearly there were problems at the club that needed resolving.

It was great to see them being able to turn it around so quickly, despite all and sundry assuring us over the off season that we were set for years in the bottom four.

All teams get injuries, it's how you deal with them that sort the contenders from the pretenders. As we saw in 2022.

64 years of contending for 2 premierships must be quite depressing.

There are North Melbourne and Melbourne supporters in aged care homes that have seen twice the success of the Colliwobbles.

It’s all relative.
There are Carlton fans currently at university who enjoyed 5 spoon years and bought into the SOS rebuild.

Even I feel for those fans, no supporters deserve that.

Pies finished bottom four last year because they had a crap year. Lost a couple of early close games, failed to gain any momentum, and clearly there were problems at the club that needed resolving.

It was great to see them being able to turn it around so quickly, despite all and sundry assuring us over the off season that we were set for years in the bottom four.

All teams get injuries, it's how you deal with them that sort the contenders from the pretenders. As we saw in 2022.

Yet, many of your supporters were blaming injuries, as a reason, for your season and I believe rightful so

It's a valid reason for all clubs that have a larger number of injuries to core players

There are Carlton fans currently at university who enjoyed 5 spoon years and bought into the SOS rebuild.

Even I feel for those fans, no supporters deserve that.

And there are currently elderly Pie supporters that have seen only 2 flags, while the equivalent Carlton supporters have seen 4 times the success

"Even I feel for those fans, no supporters deserve that"

Carlton look so much better on paper, but pies are tough and their coach looks great.
But have to say Carlton.
Both defences good
Carlton forward line better
Carlton mids and depth better
Carlton rucks better (if Grundy stays this would change to even)
It’s the forward and mids where the difference is. If Carlton had had Walsh, Hewitt, Kennedy playing in last round they couldn’t have lost. Collingwood would have had to kick 10 goals in the last 5 minutes. That can’t be done.
And Carlton also had crazy amount of injuries all year. At one stage that North guy Durdin was the only defender and Cripps had to ruck. Even run with injuries and they were top 4 this year.
Carlton 1-5
Pies 5-10
Pittonet and De Koning would be Collingwood’s 4th and 5th best rucks and that is not an exaggeration. Fortunately Grundy is leaving so they can both jump a spot.

Also our forward line is at worst, on par, with Carlton’s if not ahead

Also our forward line is at worst, on par, with Carlton’s if not ahead
Goals per game averages:
2.90 Curnow
2.40 McKay

1.85 Mihocek
1.80 Ginnivan
1.70 Johnson
1.50 Elliott
1.40 Henry
1.0 Martin
1.0 Motlop
0.95 Cripps

0.95 De Goey
0.85 Cameron

Carlton - Fisher, Silvagni, Owies and Durdin all with more than 10 goals.
Collingwood - J. Daicos, N. Daicos, WHE, Crisp, Sidebottom and McCreery all with more than 10 goals.

2023 Upside for Collingwood - McStay, Hill, Carmichael, Kreuger
2023 Upside for Carlton - ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back