Welcome to East Germany Carlton and Collingwood - who finishes higher in 2023? Collingwood Ofcourse

Who finishes higher?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pretty brittle - but they are also a young team.

No doubt ten more minutes would have had a oies win by a few goals and another quarter would have been embarrassing.
They still s**t the bed though but got over the line regardless.

Carlton lacked leadership and the same argument could’ve been made for them in R23 but no-one does. Not affording Sydney that if I don’t for other teams who had close losses to us.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Geelong handled it extremely well, that’s why they’re premiers, they’re the best. Sydney on the other hand absolutely s**t the bed, and would’ve lost that Prelim with one more minute to play. They couldn’t get it passed the half way line, like so many other teams, in that last quarter. To reel them in from 6 goals down to 1 point is evidence of that.
And if Reid doesn’t go down the margin is probably 10 goals. Changed the game totally.

Chasing down 6 goal margins is not sustainable.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Might be crazy but I’m tipping and Rich v Carlton GF. Would be pretty epic. Taranto and Hopper are massive gets and Carlton will be really hungry like tigers 2016 and Dees 2020 were and rocket up the ladder.

I’m tipping pies to finish 6th.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
And if Reid doesn’t go down the margin is probably 10 goals. Changed the game totally.

Chasing down 6 goal margins is not sustainable.
And if we had Grundy and Adams playing we’d win. The hypotheticals are great but doesn’t change the fact that Sydney shat the bed in reality though.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
And if we had Grundy and Adams playing we’d win. The hypotheticals are great but doesn’t change the fact that Sydney shat the bed in reality though.

I believe injuries are the biggest factor to team success or failure, but i think in-game injuries are tougher to deal with, if, that player is a vital cog and or a point of difference

beerbandit

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pretty brittle - but they are also a young team.

No doubt ten more minutes would have had a oies win by a few goals and another quarter would have been embarrassing.
10 more minutes. Please, 1 more minute, and the footballing world knows this.

It also would of provided a better spectacle on GF day.

beerbandit

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
I believe injuries are the biggest factor to team success or failure, but i think in-game injuries are tougher to deal with, if, that player is a vital cog and or a point of difference
I agree and disagree. The biggest factor to a team success is momentum. It is very hard to stop once going, look at Cats 16 in a row.

Injuries play a significant part. Trust us in saying that, Collingwood have probably had the worst run over last 10 years on this front, but if the team and lesser likes buy in, momentum can take you a long way. AKA Pies of 2018, injury riddled all year and where 90 seconds from being premiers.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Says the guy stating if the game goes 10 more minutes Pies win. That sounds like a hypothetical.

Swans did enough to play in a gf. Very difficult to keep winning from that far back.

Dec 9, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes but that's the risk you take with certain players

Reid is injury-prone and you can never bank on him lasting a full game

For us it's Adams, he's always getting injured

For Carlton... well, it would be quicker to list the guys who are NOT injury-prone

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree and disagree. The biggest factor to a team success is momentum. It is very hard to stop once going, look at Cats 16 in a row.

Injuries play a significant part. Trust us in saying that, Collingwood have probably had the worst run over last 10 years on this front, but if the team and lesser likes buy in, momentum can take you a long way. AKA Pies of 2018, injury riddled all year and where 90 seconds from being premiers.

Momentum does play a big part, but with the 666 and stand rule, we now see massive momentum shifts, especially with sides like the Pies and Tigers that take the game on at all costs, no matter the score

You also had injuries to vital cogs last year, plays a massive part and i can't remember the last time we had a "normal" run of injuries. Hopefully that changes next year

Yes but that's the risk you take with certain players

Reid is injury-prone and you can never bank on him lasting a full game

For us it's Adams, he's always getting injured

For Carlton... well, it would be quicker to list the guys who are NOT injury-prone

One of a few criticisms I have with us. Taking on and or retaining too many injury prone types, which incorporates a number of factors. Lax preseasons, playing underdone and or coming back too soon. Then add a couple that just can't stay on the park.

I know for a fact that Voss was pissed that the group wasn't fit enough when he arrived and workloads have been tailored for the long term, even affecting performances this year, but would rather take the hit, for long term sustainability

Along with going into the season with a thin spine and needing more speed and better users by foot

Wheels will turn

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can work the other way too.

James Podsiadly was Geelong’s spearhead in 2011 and went into that GF with 52 goals v a young Hawkins who hadn’t exploded yet (had 24 goals until the GF).

We were looking good in the 2011 GF v the Cats before James Podsiadly did his shoulder late in the second quarter. Hawkins, now their sole target came out in the third, announced himself and tore the game apart with 3 goals.

We were holding Pods/the Cats well up until he did his shoulder. The rest is history, and Tomahawk then came out the following year as their #1 and became the best power forward in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Says the guy stating if the game goes 10 more minutes Pies win. That sounds like a hypothetical.

Swans did enough to play in a gf. Very difficult to keep winning from that far back.
I answered one hypothetical with another. I’ve never said Sydney didn’t deserve to win, I said they shat the bed. Stay on topic and don’t nitpick to try and prove me wrong.

4tone

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Of course luck plays a part, especially when games are close. Normally, close games run at a 50/50 win/loss over 2-3 seasons.

Team/player mindset, momentum, belief does play a role, and the Pies showed plenty of those traits this year, but it is not a given for any side from year to year
Don't think so, the Essendon game, set play the ball went the length of the ground within 15 seconds the same with the last round blues game. 6 of the other games the pies were in control for the majority of the games only to have late goals to make the scoreboard tell a false story including the first blues game. The 2nd Dees games the ball didn't leave the pies forward line for the last 6 minutes of the game. you are saying its luck, here's a secret for you it was all coaching, what you think it's under 9; s out there, millions of dollars are getting spent and time put in to get results. I understand your confusion, the blues look good on paper, and the Pies look like dog s**t to you. 2018 GF 2019 PF 2020 SF 2022 PF, Blues have been the dog s**t team. Thats reality Bro.

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Don't think so, the Essendon game, set play the ball went the length of the ground within 15 seconds the same with the last round blues game. 6 of the other games the pies were in control for the majority of the games only to have late goals to make the scoreboard tell a false story including the first blues game. The 2nd Dees games the ball didn't leave the pies forward line for the last 6 minutes of the game. you are saying its luck, here's a secret for you it was all coaching, what you think it's under 9; s out there, millions of dollars are getting spent and time put in to get results. I understand your confusion, the blues look good on paper, and the Pies look like dog s**t to you. 2018 GF 2019 PF 2020 SF 2022 PF, Blues have been the dog s**t team. Thats reality Bro.

Wizard Of Oz Dorothy GIF

4tone

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't want to take away from what Collingwood achieved this year, because it was good, but it should have been good. Forget about their finishing position last year and where a lot of people thought they might finish. They were fielding one of the oldest and most experienced sides most weeks, with around 8-12 players most weeks who had played in a GF in recent times.
Being 1pt off a GF means literally nothing in regards to their depth this year.
Although it's funny that you're claiming 1pt away from a certain achievement with an experienced list as a positive victory, while dismissing Carlton being 1pt away from another achievement while fielding one of the youngest and least experienced sides.
Correct, ill dismiss at my own discretion / pleasure. The Blues have done absolutely nothing for 10 years and 10 years before that. I have zero respect until they show something apart from making long sleeve jumpers fashionable. Probably the first thing Voss did at the club was to ban them, I would have done the same. Clubs s**t till then.

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Correct, ill dismiss at my own discretion / pleasure. The Blues have done absolutely nothing for 10 years and 10 years before that. I have zero respect until they show something apart from making long sleeve jumpers fashionable. Probably the first thing Voss did at the club was to ban them, I would have done the same. Clubs s**t till then.
Collingwood in the last 10 years....

1556243695488_GMK26BT0R.1-0.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Ffc1d69cd-c665-4b54-959f-96f164dbf1d6

254150eba70c3d17f4148bdeceffea77

fb985619afc5f983e87fb5ba0cafc61ed141ba3b

Soon to come...

6bf1239f74bc425cc49c2ea888b1837049457a42

FeNA23HVUAEbUdZ

e5799e8038e7425de9532afef11a8710

jail-prison-1.jpg

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
I can watch this one on repeat all day 🤣

Will never forget watching streams of grown ass Carlton supporters storm out of the MCG, many of them in tears, after watching the best side they have fielded in 20 years choke at the last hurdle and miss finals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back