Welcome to East Germany Carlton and Collingwood - who finishes higher in 2023? Collingwood Ofcourse

Who finishes higher?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Things look really bright for both teams.

Collingwood may have a few holes in their list but they have this cracking good pressure orientated game plan that suites the players they have and a good mix of young and old talent. They went so far in 2022, but like all clubs a few injuries to the wrong player could cause issues.

Carlton have this cracking good list that many are expecting to explode and for a brief period in 2022 it did. Injuries again the issue and the only thing which will hold it back from exploding in 2023.

Can see both sides playing finals and they should expect to. Can see both sides being top 4. Both are good sides, whoever is above the other will come down to luck.

Will never forget watching streams of grown ass Carlton supporters storm out of the MCG, many of them in tears, after watching the best side they have fielded in 20 years choke at the last hurdle and miss finals
Our best side in 20 years didn't have Walsh, Hewett, Kennedy, DeKoning or Newman?
Most people would have them in our 22. That's nearly a quarter of our best side missing.

So you were missing:
1 of your top 5;
1 of your players ranked 6 to 10;
3 players ranked somewhere between 11 and 22.

How did you even field a team?

šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø
How do you think Collingwood would go without Adams, Crisp and Pendlebury all at once? Or Melbourne without Viney, Petracca and Brayshaw?

So you were missing:
1 of your top 5;

Hewett and Kennedy are both comfortably in our best 10 - not sure which one you are excluding?

They are also our 2nd and 3rd best inside midfielders, meaning we had to play Will Setterfield and even played Paddy Dow towards the end of the year.

Both those guys were a major reason for our hot start to the year.

Hewett and Kennedy are both comfortably in our best 10 - not sure which one you are excluding?

They are also our 2nd and 3rd best inside midfielders, meaning we had to play Will Setterfield and even played Paddy Dow towards the end of the year.

Both those guys were a major reason for our hot start to the year.
1 - 5: Cripps, Walsh, Curnow, McKay, Weitering
6 - 9: Saad, Cerra, Docherty, Hewett.

I forgot your depth dropped away so quickly. Guess Kennedy would be fighting for #10, based on form/fitness, with Williams.

So you were missing:
1 of your top 5;

Again it comes back to looking at injuries in context. We have 5 main centre square mids that start every game when fit - Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra and Kennedy. It doesn't matter whether you think they are top 5 or top 30 because that is purely opinion - what is fact however is that it is 60% of our core midfield was out for Rounds 22 and Rounds 23. No matter how good your team is losing 60% of your core mid will have a significant impact and considering we played two top 4 teams it made it even more difficult.

I forgot your depth dropped away so quickly. Guess Kennedy would be fighting for #10, based on form/fitness, with Williams.
Old mate Kennedy battling it out for #10 who would statistically be your best inside midfielder... Righto.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So based on your own list heā€™s clearly in there.

Classic Fudge up.

Kennedy is currently better/more important than Cerra IMO as well. Iā€™d have him as our 9th best.

Old mate Kennedy battling it out for #10 who would statistically be your best inside midfielder... Righto.
So based on your own list heā€™s clearly in there.

Classic Fudge up.

Kennedy is currently better/more important than Cerra IMO as well. Iā€™d have him as our 9th best.
Suggest it says a lot about where Carlton's list is at if old mate Kennedy is 'comfortably in the top 10'...

A midfielder with 5 Brownlow votes in over 70 games and 7 years in the system.

Suggest it says a lot about where Carlton's list is at if old mate Kennedy is 'comfortably in the top 10'...
1664954046673.png

1664954084364.png

Yep really diabolical top 10 player. Kennedy was phenomenal this year as a our 4-5th best midfielder.

When his stats are better than or match up to your two best mids I think that says more about Collingwood's list if he's that bad doesn't it?

Last edited:

A midfielder with 5 Brownlow votes in over 70 games and 7 years in the system.
Would have finished equal 4th in Collingwoodā€™s Brownlow leaderboard this year, but understandably had more competition at the Blues.

Very, very nice player.

View attachment 1527708

View attachment 1527709

Yep really diabolical top 10 player. Kennedy was phenomenal this year as a our 4-5th best midfielder.

When his stats are better than or match up to your two best mids I think that says more about Collingwood if he's that bad doesn't it?
You judge by a stats sheet, I'll judge by their contribution to the game.

You won't get too far telling people Matt Kennedy is the equal of Jack Crisp, and 2022 was Taylor Adams' worst year since he's been at the club, finishing outside of the Top 10 in our Copeland Trophy. But Pies still had a top 4 finish, a bee's dick from a Grand Final.

But you keep looking at the stats sheets.

You judge by a stats sheet, I'll judge by their contribution to the game.

You won't get too far telling people Matt Kennedy is the equal of Jack Crisp, and 2022 was Taylor Adams' worst year since he's been at the club, finishing outside of the Top 10 in our Copeland Trophy. But Pies still had a top 4 finish, a bee's dick from a Grand Final.

But you keep looking at the stats sheets.
I watched every game he played this year to judge his contribution to the games, did you?

And going back to my original question - How do you think Collingwood or Melbourne would go missing Crisp, Adams and Pendlebury or Petracca, Viney and Brayshaw? You're making out as if every team in the comp can cover for 3 of their first choice midfielders missing at once. I don't think you'd many that would support that.

I watched every game he played this year to judge his contribution to the games, did you?

And going back to my original question - How do you think Collingwood or Melbourne would go missing Crisp, Adams and Pendlebury or Petracca, Viney and Brayshaw? You're making out as if every team in the comp can cover for 3 of their first choice midfielders missing at once. I don't think you'd many that would support that.
Your original question? Big deal?

You honestly think Carlton are the only club to get injuries? Or to get multiple injuries to their defence, midfield, or forward line at the same time?

You guys need to get your head out of the sand and understand all teams deal with injuries, they just don't spend the whole season squealing about it and using it as excuses as to why they're going to be 'so much better next year'.

The funny thing is, if your team delivers, you no longer need excuses.

Your original question? Big deal?

You honestly think Carlton are the only club to get injuries? Or to get multiple injuries to their defence, midfield, or forward line at the same time?

You guys need to get your head out of the sand and understand all teams deal with injuries, they just don't spend the whole season squealing about it and using it as excuses as to why they're going to be 'so much better next year'.

The funny thing is, if your team delivers, you no longer need excuses.
^This post has huge squealing vibes.

I canā€™t recall a lot of ā€˜squealingā€™ when we were 8-2 and had few major injuries. Pittonet and Williams were the only losses at that stage, but they could be covered.

When you play a pretty basic but effective game plan centred around stoppage dominance there shouldnā€™t be too many surprises when the next best inside midfielders go down and the side starts to struggle.

Hewett was arguably our biggest loss for the year with his clearance work and collaboration with our midfield group. Then Kennedy went down and our next best were guys we are now actively trying to move to other clubs.

I canā€™t recall a lot of ā€˜squealingā€™ when we were 8-2 and had few major injuries. Pittonet and Williams were the only losses at that stage, but they could be covered.
'When we were 8-2', which could be otherwise interpreted as 'Before we played the likes of Geelong, Melbourne, Brisbane and Collingwood'...

'When we were 8-2', which could be otherwise interpreted as 'Before we played the likes of Geelong, Melbourne, Brisbane and Collingwood'...
Well we beat this years runner up, came within a goal x2 against the Pies and Dees and had a couple of stinkers against the Lions and Cats - itā€™s a decent indication of our form and capability as a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back