Strategy Blues to trade first round pick - who do they target?

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally i dont think either of Billings or Gresham will be looking at Carlton being a top 2 team and rushing out the door to get to Carlton unless there is very very serious money upgrade and im talking about $700k+ which i think the saints could easily match if they rate them that highly. Then it brings in the question of what the trade would be for a player thats going to be paid that much

Both players i think are still required and rated highly with Gresham looking like a gun in some games i have watched, Personally i rate Carlton slightly higher looking foward 2-3 years but that would and could change very quickly as both teams do have talent and would depend on how they develop and which free agents the 2 clubs could attract in the coming years.

Personally i think attracting free agents of quality Kelly/Coniglio would be the priority and getting cheaper options to fill small foward roles would be better, The Crows were into Tyson Stengle and traded for him at #64 i think it was and he looks to be a decent sort and perhaps you guys might do similar

Kelly is not a FA.
Absolutely would be into Coniglio (along with every other club) as a FA who would round out our midfield beautifully.
A classy small forward is a glaring deficiency and i would happily trade adelaide's pick to secure the right one ...

Kelly is not a FA.
Absolutely would be into Coniglio (along with every other club) as a FA who would round out our midfield beautifully.
A classy small forward is a glaring deficiency and i would happily trade adelaide's pick to secure the right one ...
Adelaide's first pick probably would be #14+ as i see them easily making the 8 and could go top 4 , Depending on which free agents leave and Father sons / Academy picks could get blown out even further and in a draft which many watchers rate as being weak i dont think #14+ is going to be overly attractive

If Billings has another bad year that also brings up the question at 24/25 is he really the right trade and being a free agent the following year you would think he would be looking to wait and see.

Sorry Gun i meant who will be better. Saints or Blues.

In 2019 i think its pretty even with probably saints in front but after that as i mentioned it would depend on development of young kids and who the club brings in as mature players. I know the carlton supporters are up beat with all the young talent thats come into the club the last 3 years but they are still mostly unproven and just looking at the young talent that the Suns,Giants & Dee's have had over the last 6/7 years its no guarantee that its going to go to plan.

I do spend alot of time on the Carlton board and remember all the excitement a few years ago with the Murphy/Gibbs/Kreuzer/Judd being added to the 3 amigo's and the players like your walkers & Robinson's on the list and Carlton playing well under ratten they looked like a list full of young talent and even remember the media saying how in 2 years time they would be primed for success. Things dont always go to plan and other teams just get 2-3-4 player in that click and bang they are top 4
Doggies,Richmond,Pies all jumped up the ladder without being expected to whilst Melbourne/Saints/Port/Giants all with better younger talent struggled

Personally i expect Brisbane to be the team that jumps up from the bottom and starts knocking on the door of the 8

Adelaide's first pick probably would be #14+ as i see them easily making the 8 and could go top 4 , Depending on which free agents leave and Father sons / Academy picks could get blown out even further and in a draft which many watchers rate as being weak i dont think #14+ is going to be overly attractive

If Billings has another bad year that also brings up the question at 24/25 is he really the right trade and being a free agent the following year you would think he would be looking to wait and see.

Impossible to predict where adelaide will finish.
Point is , if say Billings were to request a trade to Carlton , the saints would have little choice other than to work a deal around adelaide's pick as that is what we will hold and give or take , around about what he might be worth.

Not that I would want him to leave my club, but Carlton should definitely be targeting Taylor Adams with a big contract. Coming out of contract at a club with a bulging cap, he is a prime-age blood and guts, heart and soul midfielder who plays well on the big stage and puts in 100% every single week. There would also be the incentive of robbing the arch enemy and collecting another former SOS recruit.

Shiel = Essendon, did they finish in the 8? Polec wanting to go to North?

Of course we would have to improve, which we will, so it is not out of the realms of impossibility

To be fair Essendon will be in the 8 next year and Polec is not the type of big name that you'd want to be attracting I'm guessing? He just took his payday and ran.

Either way both were traded.

We need an FA and trade first pick. My first choice is Ben Ainsworth.

We need an FA and trade first pick. My first choice is Ben Ainsworth.

Ainsworth is unlikely to leave Gold Coast.
Seems to have worked his way into a good position there and good on him.
Would make for a damn fine get for the CFC, but it's not going to be Ainsworth.

I just keep coming back to Billings.
He may well not want to go to Carlton, but he is something I see the CFC being keen on, by way of player type, age profile etc.
Given there's a strong likelihood that tAdelaides first was already being earmarked for a player, a pick ~12 to 15 should do the job.
Some will say that's too much for Billings (not Saints supporters) but if he had a good season, it may just fall right.

We want a free agent and a trade, with at least one of those two being Elite, and the other A grade (or at least solidly best 22 in a good side). Preferably in the 24-26 year old age range.

2019 and 2020's 1sts on the table.
  • Tall forwards that look like they'll make it (or are already there) include Curnow and McKay, with McLovin a swingman (primarily a forward). Kerr, BSOS and DeKoenig in the 2's developing (but jury is out). Finally looking OK for KPFs.
  • Small/ medium forwards are Pickett (and he's likely to be delisted now after seriously injuring himself again), Polson who hasnt shown anything to date, JSOS (who is stagnating) Garlett (borderline best 22) and LeBois (not looking like he's going to make it) and pretty much... no-one else. Fasolo was brought in to plug a hole for a few years. Remains a priority.
  • Tall defenders include Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman, Jones (plus Macreadie, and H Goddard as back ups). Well stocked.
  • Rebounding defenders/ Wingmen are Simpson (and he's one season at a time at 34) Docherty (2nd knee injury) and OBrien (2nd year player). Byrne picked a shitty time to get homesick and head back to Ireland. Thomas has been filling in last year (and he's so-so) and we also had to plug this spot with C graders last year (Oshea, Mullett etc). What was once a strength with Simpson, Docherty, Byrne etc is now a weakness. Newman has been recruited to fill this role this year, and we were grooming Williamson for the role as well. We'll know more at the end of the year if we have this position covered or not.
  • Mids/ HFF are Cripps, Walsh, Dow, SPS, Fisher, Stocker, Setterfield and Kennedy - plus Ed Curnow and Murphy (for a few more years). Well stocked for mids, but young. Adding an experienced hand in here would be welcome. Aside from being young, they're probably a bit slow or one paced. No-one in this group screams outside run and carry.
  • Kruezer, Phillips and Lobbe are our three main ruck options and they're all constantly injured and/or getting old and/or both. Kruezer is among the first picked when fit, but is nearing 30. Need to get someone in here soon.
The way I see it, our priorities are 1 x small forward, 1 x ruck, and 1 x damaging outside play-maker with speed/ meters gained (midfield or rebounding defender or even on the Half forward line). Like every side, I wouldnt mind adding an Elite mid to the mix as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We want a free agent and a trade, with at least one of those two being Elite, and the other A grade (or at least solidly best 22 in a good side). Preferably in the 24-26 year old age range.

2019 and 2020's 1sts on the table.
  • Tall forwards that look like they'll make it (or are already there) include Curnow and McKay, with McLovin a swingman (primarily a forward). Kerr, BSOS and DeKoenig in the 2's developing (but jury is out). Finally looking OK for KPFs.
  • Small/ medium forwards are Pickett (and he's likely to be delisted now after seriously injuring himself again), Polson who hasnt shown anything to date, JSOS (who is stagnating) Garlett (borderline best 22) and LeBois (not looking like he's going to make it) and pretty much... no-one else. Fasolo was brought in to plug a hole for a few years. Remains a priority.
  • Tall defenders include Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman, Jones (plus Macreadie, and H Goddard as back ups). Well stocked.
  • Rebounding defenders/ Wingmen are Simpson (and he's one season at a time at 34) Docherty (2nd knee injury) and OBrien (2nd year player). Byrne picked a shitty time to get homesick and head back to Ireland. Thomas has been filling in last year (and he's so-so) and we also had to plug this spot with C graders last year (Oshea, Mullett etc). What was once a strength with Simpson, Docherty, Byrne etc is now a weakness. Newman has been recruited to fill this role this year, and we were grooming Williamson for the role as well. We'll know more at the end of the year if we have this position covered or not.
  • Mids/ HFF are Cripps, Walsh, Dow, SPS, Fisher, Stocker, Setterfield and Kennedy - plus Ed Curnow and Murphy (for a few more years). Well stocked for mids, but young. Adding an experienced hand in here would be welcome. Aside from being young, they're probably a bit slow or one paced. No-one in this group screams outside run and carry.
  • Kruezer, Phillips and Lobbe are our three main ruck options and they're all constantly injured and/or getting old and/or both. Kruezer is among the first picked when fit, but is nearing 30. Need to get someone in here soon.
The way I see it, our priorities are 1 x small forward, 1 x ruck, and 1 x damaging outside play-maker with speed/ meters gained (midfield or rebounding defender or even on the Half forward line). Like every side, I wouldnt mind adding an Elite mid to the mix as well.

We'd need to show a bit this year to convince best 22 players from any Vic based sides to join us. Fellow strugglers have as much cash as us to retain their players, and some of our young guys could be targets themselves.

It is feasible we use the Crows first and our 2020 first in separate trades to address the needs with quality role players instead of one gun.

What we'd give to have another Yarran off half back. Jayden Hunt has the speed but needs to be used in a way that his kicking isn't a liability. We know that teams like Melbourne and Collingwood are going to have players looking for more game time. Both have a heap of A graders or soon to be A graders and good depth. I don't see Richmond players spilling out. They have had their spill and the second half of their best 22 are very even role players so no standout targets there. They also seem more closely knit. Essendon are building so I don't see any decent players leaving.

If our defence struggles, I'd take a look at Tom Jonas, although he doesn't fill one of your needs above. Experienced backline steel is needed with Doc no certainty going forward.

No Eagles are going to come to us but if we could extract a youngster who may become homesick down the track, then Daniel Venables is one I'd want. There's your small/medium forward who is also a burst midfielder, but he's not adding any experience (despite a premiership medallion).

Would a fall from the Swans shake some previously unlikely players loose for big coin? Heaps on the wanted list there. I'd kill for a Hayward and Parker for the experience.

We'd need to show a bit this year to convince best 22 players from any Vic based sides to join us. Fellow strugglers have as much cash as us to retain their players, and some of our young guys could be targets themselves.

It is feasible we use the Crows first and our 2020 first in separate trades to address the needs with quality role players instead of one gun.

In order to get talented players in through the door, we need on-field performances we can sell.

Players are smart; they know which sides are on the rise, and which ones arent. We need to start tracking in the right direction so potential trades and F/A see a realistic possibility of a flag or two within the 5 years they have left in the game.

For Vic based sides Im intrested to see where Stevens from the Saints winds up at the end of the year. He openly (and fairly) had a sit down with Richardson last year, and called the rebuilding and direction of the list into doubt.

I personally see the Saints list in a bit of bother and in a state of Frankenstein's monster. Several blown early picks (McCartin, H Goddard, Billings) and an inability to attract quality in trades and FA (only North has been snubbed more). Yet last draft they picked up a KPF coming off a knee (King will take a few years before he's performing most likely) and a mature ager who is one one leg in Hanners.

For mine they'd have been better off trading Stevens for 2 x 1sts (he's an absolute gun) and loading up on the draft again. It'll be intresting to see what happens with him this year if they have another stinker.

He's 28 (29 this year in March I think). Maybe a bit too old for us (and maybe our list is a bit too young for him).

What we'd give to have another Yarran off half back.

This. He was exactly the bloke I was thinking of when assessing our needs (fast, high metres gained attacking flanker/ defender/ small forward). I was hoping Pickett might be trialed in this role this year (he's probably the quickest we have on the list, and doesnt mind going for a run) but then he did his knee.

Newman maybe. He plays a bit like this.

Jayden Hunt has the speed but needs to be used in a way that his kicking isn't a liability. We know that teams like Melbourne and Collingwood are going to have players looking for more game time. Both have a heap of A graders or soon to be A graders and good depth. I don't see Richmond players spilling out. They have had their spill and the second half of their best 22 are very even role players so no standout targets there. They also seem more closely knit. Essendon are building so I don't see any decent players leaving.

Richmond, when I see them play, they play for each other. Quick hands and they back each other. Full of confidence. It would be a good side to play for and I'd happily take less money to play there.

Now excuse me while I wash out my mouth with bleach and battery acid.

No Eagles are going to come to us but if we could extract a youngster who may become homesick down the track, then Daniel Venables is one I'd want. There's your small/medium forward who is also a burst midfielder, but he's not adding any experience (despite a premiership medallion).

Interstate players who already have the Premiership medallion are a good target to look at.

That said, Id rather we kept West Coast at or close to the Cap so they have less room for a certain WA born inside midfielder we have on our list who's a free agent in 2 years.

Would a fall from the Swans shake some previously unlikely players loose for big coin? Heaps on the wanted list there. I'd kill for a Hayward and Parker for the experience.

Swans, Cats and Hawks are nearing the end, and the Cats in particular were tossing up whether to go 'full rebuild' mode (they've heavily gone down the top up angle in recent years, and have had a lot of 1st round picks not come on). The Hawks looked to have already started a mini rebuild, but then they trade out a gun youngster (and an early pick) and get in Scully and Wingard seeming to do a bit of an about face.

For mine, sides like that are likely hunting early draft picks and are prepared to let older 28+ experienced players go for extra picks (like we did with Gibbs, and the Saints did with Goddard).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back