Mod. Notice Carlton Board Questions & Suggestions

Remove this Banner Ad

What Coona said.

There will never be a standalone thread to discuss bets people put on, and mostly it is a throwaway line as part of a football discussion.

If someone is always throwing it in there, you can always block their content. I don't gamble but I'm not about to ostracise or demonise those who spend their own money on a legal activity.

We will monitor such things as always and look at it if it becomes too prevalent.
I don't think a specific thread does either of those things. It just creates a place for such things to be posted and discussed by those who want to, without those discussions popping up in front of people who'd be better off not seeing them.

I've never been a gambler either, but have watched several seemingly intelligent, rational friends lose everything to gambling. Like the whole mental health thing, I think every little bit counts.

But it was just a suggestion. Obviously you guys will do as you see fit ...

I don't think a specific thread does either of those things. It just creates a place for such things to be posted and discussed by those who want to, without those discussions popping up in front of people who'd be better off not seeing them.

I've never been a gambler either, but have watched several seemingly intelligent, rational friends lose everything to gambling. Like the whole mental health thing, I think every little bit counts.

But it was just a suggestion. Obviously you guys will do as you see fit ...
There is a Gambling thread in the Blue Room I'm pretty sure

I thought there was one about 7 or 8 years ago where people would post what they were betting on that weekend and any interesting odds they found.

Been a while since that thread has seen any action.

Interesting. I was actually going to suggest that the Blue Room is probably a good place for such a thread, but I thought the Blue Room was for more "off topic" ... umm ... topics :)

If there is actually one The Old Dark Navy's, perhaps posters who want to discuss such things could be pointed there?

Interesting. I was actually going to suggest that the Blue Room is probably a good place for such a thread, but I thought the Blue Room was for more "off topic" ... umm ... topics :)

If there is actually one The Old Dark Navy's, perhaps posters who want to discuss such things could be pointed there?

I'm not aware of it. Search function works I think.

Yeah I'd say if it starts up, move posts there and direct people there.

Perhaps you could include a link in the OP of game threads.

Hey mods, any chance we can have the "General AFLW discussion" thread moved to, and stay on the main board?

There's this weird phenomenon where a particular "main board worthy" AFLW thread is started, and then it becomes a thread for "all things AFLW at the time". Then eventually it is moved to the AFLW board and disappears into obscurity. For example, the latest "2022 NAB AFLW Preliminary Draft Order as at 31st May" thread is now getting posts about players re-signing with the club.

Doesn't it make more sense that those re-signing posts go into a general thread (as well as the individual player thread in the AFLW sub-board, obviously) and the draft order thread be left for discussions about the draft?

If you were to consider the recent threads that have been main-board-thread-worthy:
  • Maddy Prespakis and Georgia Gee request trade to Essendon & other possible player movements, and;
  • 2022 NAB AFLW Preliminary Draft Order as at 31st May
  • And I think there was another thread on the main board recently, but it was probably merged into the MP/GG thread, given the change in that thread's title.
There are more posts in those threads about AFLW generally than about the actual thread topic. So the general discussion type conversations end up being disjointed because folks just post their thoughts in whatever AFLW thread happens to be on the main board at a given time.

We bemoan the treatment of the women's game by the AFL and yet it doesn't seem to be supported any more cohesively in forums like this one.

Hey mods, any chance we can have the "General AFLW discussion" thread moved to, and stay on the main board?

There's this weird phenomenon where a particular "main board worthy" AFLW thread is started, and then it becomes a thread for "all things AFLW at the time". Then eventually it is moved to the AFLW board and disappears into obscurity. For example, the latest "2022 NAB AFLW Preliminary Draft Order as at 31st May" thread is now getting posts about players re-signing with the club.

Doesn't it make more sense that those re-signing posts go into a general thread (as well as the individual player thread in the AFLW sub-board, obviously) and the draft order thread be left for discussions about the draft?

If you were to consider the recent threads that have been main-board-thread-worthy:
  • Maddy Prespakis and Georgia Gee request trade to Essendon & other possible player movements, and;
  • 2022 NAB AFLW Preliminary Draft Order as at 31st May
  • And I think there was another thread on the main board recently, but it was probably merged into the MP/GG thread, given the change in that thread's title.
There are more posts in those threads about AFLW generally than about the actual thread topic. So the general discussion type conversations end up being disjointed because folks just post their thoughts in whatever AFLW thread happens to be on the main board at a given time.

We bemoan the treatment of the women's game by the AFL and yet it doesn't seem to be supported any more cohesively in forums like this one.

I agree the threads being used aren't organised properly. Potentially, we mods should have moved posts into a proper thread with an appropriate title.

I'd prefer a model where we guide people to the AFLW board so that thrives in itself, rather than use the AFL team board as the main discussion point for AFLW. It feels more disrespectful to contain AFLW discussion to one thread, rather than put more work into the AFLW board.

What do you think about an AFLW gateway on the AFL board, so we can link to the various threads on the AFLW board including any breaking news? It could be a no discussion links thread potentially.

I agree the threads being used aren't organised properly. Potentially, we mods should have moved posts into a proper thread with an appropriate title.

I'd prefer a model where we guide people to the AFLW board so that thrives in itself, rather than use the AFL team board as the main discussion point for AFLW. It feels more disrespectful to contain AFLW discussion to one thread, rather than put more work into the AFLW board.

What do you think about an AFLW gateway on the AFL board, so we can link to the various threads on the AFLW board including any breaking news? It could be a no discussion links thread potentially.
I have a differing POV. I am not fanatical on AFLW, but keep abreast of things and follow the girls (don’t know why that term evokes disdain from some). Agree we need a seperate strain for potential expanded general AFL discussion, but we need topical threads on our main board. I would also prefer a more vivid colour to flag AFLW threads. I am perplexed by the “Women’s Footy” banner. Women’s Footy maybe heads a stand alone sub board, but we should be listing our relative news as AFLW.

I also question you calling the “main board” the AFL team board. Surely it is the CARLTON BOARD.

More respect for them as part of our club please. Many posters do not journey from our “Main Board”. The game and team related threads should be visible there. The Blue Room is not a normal destination for me bar word association or conversations re-routed by mods. Not sure of the intricacies, but would be surprised if AFLW. threads could not be paralleled on the “main board” as well as a Women’s Footy sub board.

I have a differing POV. I am not fanatical on AFLW, but keep abreast of things and follow the girls (don’t know why that term evokes disdain from some). Agree we need a seperate strain for potential expanded general AFL discussion, but we need topical threads on our main board. I would also prefer a more vivid colour to flag AFLW threads. I am perplexed by the “Women’s Footy” banner. Women’s Footy maybe heads a stand alone sub board, but we should be listing our relative news as AFLW.

I also question you calling the “main board” the AFL team board. Surely it is the CARLTON BOARD.

More respect for them as part of our club please. Many posters do not journey from our “Main Board”. The game and team related threads should be visible there. The Blue Room is not a normal destination for me bar word association or conversations re-routed by mods. Not sure of the intricacies, but would be surprised if AFLW. threads could not be paralleled on the “main board” as well as a Women’s Footy sub board.

Calling the main board the AFL team board as opposed to the AFLW team board. We also have a VFL team board mixed in with our player profiles. Just differentiating.

Threads sink quickly on the main board and I don't want that to happen to the AFLW content.

To keep the AFLW news on the main board, to the detriment of the AFLW board because many posters don't journey from the main board, when the AFLW board is just as Carlton friendly and one click away, seems to just encourage fleeting interest, rather than trying to expand and encourage AFLW.

I am okay with AFLW content on the main board, just as I am happy with VFL content but only to grow the other boards. Catering to casual interest and laziness instead of converting that to passion isn't the goal.

We will discuss and find the best option. It will take some moderator discipline, just as we have developed with rumours and other specific topics over the years.

How about Carlton AFLW in the media as a separate thread, linking to threads on our AFLW board. There would be some discussion in that media thread but the main discussion would be on that board?

As for thread labels, that is a sitewide design. We don't control those but can make suggestions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about Carlton AFLW in the media as a separate thread, linking to threads on our AFLW board. There would be some discussion in that media thread but the main discussion would be on that board?

As for thread labels, that is a sitewide design. We don't control those but can make suggestions.
You raise some interesting points ODN. And I totally agree that it's a tricky one.

I get what you mean about threads on the main board moving down rapidly, but as soon as something of interest is happening in the world of Carlton's AFLW team and someone posts in whatever thread you create, that will bring it to the fore again. If there's enough interest though, it will stay on the front page anyway.

But yeah, my main concern is trying to keep Carlton AFLW discussions more coherent, and it seems like you're trying to come up with a way to achieve that, so that's the main thing. Thanks.

As long as AFLW discussions aren't in the same thread as mens it shouldn't matter where they are pinned.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Do we have an existing unpopular opinions thread on our board? I think it could make for some interesting discussion but wanted to check here before making a new thread.

Do we have an existing unpopular opinions thread on our board? I think it could make for some interesting discussion but wanted to check here before making a new thread.
We do. Probably a few pages back. Should be findable using search?

Seem to be copping a repetitive redirect from a lot of BF pages in the last few days. Only happens from BF on mobile, no other sites are giving me the same issues, nor does it happen on a desktop device. Anti-popup and redirect settings are in place. Has something changed recently that might be causing this?

Screenshot_20220713-182155_Chrome.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back