Coach Carlton Coaching Group 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Could we bring in both Selwood & Ratten as assistants?

Would be great for both Ratten and the club to bring him home...

Yes to Ratts

Very capable assistant but mediocre head coach.

Would love to have Ratts back at the club, he has a pretty good footy brain is a decent coach and would be a great addition to our coaching panel. Plus I hated the way we treated him when he left, would be nice to heal that rift

Appointing Ratts would be a really good move. So much experience and could really add something as a senior assistant and midfield coach. There appears to be room to shuffle things around so it could be done

The fact that it may heal some old wounds at the same time would be a bonus.

Ratts might want some time out.

If he did want to come back, which is still a big ‘if’, we’ve currently got Hansen as senior assistant. Ratts would either be taking a regular assistant role or we’re demoting Hansen, which might make him look for other senior assistant offers elsewhere or even start throwing his hat in the ring for senior coach roles.

I’m not sure how the club would rank the pair, but it felt like getting Hansen was seen as a bit of a coup, and we might be looking for some stability in the coaching ranks after last off season.

There’s a lot of ‘if’s’ in there, but it’s an interesting situation if Ratts does indeed want to return to Princes Park.

Everyone has an opinion, and we all know what opions are... but IMO, I'd rather us get Selwood as a Development/Skills Coach rather than Ratts back... Wishing Brett Ratten all the best, but it feels a bit like back to the future. The great thing is that overall I feel our footy department is in a good space, so whatever happens (even if it's essentially staying with the same), I think we're in a good place moving forward...

Everyone has an opinion, and we all know what opions are... but IMO, I'd rather us get Selwood as a Development/Skills Coach rather than Ratts back... Wishing Brett Ratten all the best, but it feels a bit like back to the future. The great thing is that overall I feel our footy department is in a good space, so whatever happens (even if it's essentially staying with the same), I think we're in a good place moving forward...
How about Ratten gets the female coach role and out goes harfs

How about Ratten gets the female coach role and out goes harfs

Dunno why Aph has given this a thumbs down without commenting, I don't think it's the worst move for us. Harford has been in charge if the women's team a long time, and I don't see that we've really progressed at all compared to other sides. Skills and cohesion are poor, retention is poor, results are poor.

Now....would Ratts want to pivot into the AFLW? Dunno. Gut feel is probably not, I'd assume that even the senior coach of an AFLW side is probably earning less than most experienced AFL assistants, and I'm not sure how clubs view experience with the women's league on a CV.

Pass on Selwood - ducking is no longer rewarded in AFL - and his 'glory' is a manufactured circus event by the AFL and its media machine. He should stay at Geelong and enjoy Carlton pantsing them in years to come as order is restored.

Ratts might want some time out.

If he did want to come back, which is still a big ‘if’, we’ve currently got Hansen as senior assistant. Ratts would either be taking a regular assistant role or we’re demoting Hansen, which might make him look for other senior assistant offers elsewhere or even start throwing his hat in the ring for senior coach roles.

I’m not sure how the club would rank the pair, but it felt like getting Hansen was seen as a bit of a coup, and we might be looking for some stability in the coaching ranks after last off season.

There’s a lot of ‘if’s’ in there, but it’s an interesting situation if Ratts does indeed want to return to Princes Park.
If he was keen, Ratts as a line coach for a bit with less pressure.

Hansen continues senior assistant until he leaves in the next year or two. Ratts, if cohesive with Voss, moves up to senior assistant when takes up a senior role (my bet is on Port after they fail dramatically again).

Hansen is loved as a senior assistant but his line was God awful in terms of structure and coaching.

Pass on Selwood - ducking is no longer rewarded in AFL - and his 'glory' is a manufactured circus event by the AFL and its media machine. He should stay at Geelong and enjoy Carlton pantsing them in years to come as order is restored.

I'm a pass on Selwood, Ratten and Betts to be honest. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can't be to complacent with our coaching. Think there's a bit missing with the midfield and forward line in regards to coaching. Still not sold we have a game plan that can adapt. Having only one obvious game plan. Seeing good sides have two, one which is attacking ball hunting less accountable which is us and another which is about pressure around the ball while still hunting the ball and rebounding from behind the ball which should suit us but we don't do it. Still being vulnerable to lose rebounding defenders.

IMO we are a good side but poor with our game plan in a sense where we don't have a second game.

We need to invest more into strategy and the forward line. But the midfield, it was caught out at times when teams applied defensive pressure.

Our lack of game plans cost us finals. I need to see that it's evolved next year.

Selwood would be a priority, need to get onto sourcing coaches from successful clubs and there is none more successful than Geelong. Ratten is twice failed, not overly his fault but his resume is unappealing. Betts would be good, from a year at Geelong different perspective.

Three flags at Hawthorn not enough?
Was he there for the three? It's not bad I suppose.

I think he will get a job somewhere.

I would not be against him, just would like that Geelong influence. I think we can't be too complacent with our coaching. Need to see what styles of footy we can produce next year.

We failed to play a pressure game around the ball with good team cohesion. We will be presented more and more with teams who won't allow us to exit stoppages with ease and who will bring high pressure next year. So we need to adapt to that which means our midfield, backline and forward line need to adapt. I don't think we instigated this or dealt with this well at all last season. IMO it's the main reason we missed finals.

We can't be to complacent with our coaching. Think there's a bit missing with the midfield and forward line in regards to coaching. Still not sold we have a game plan that can adapt. Having only one obvious game plan. Seeing good sides have two, one which is attacking ball hunting less accountable which is us and another which is about pressure around the ball while still hunting the ball and rebounding from behind the ball which should suit us but we don't do it. Still being vulnerable to lose rebounding defenders.

IMO we are a good side but poor with our game plan in a sense where we don't have a second game.

We need to invest more into strategy and the forward line. But the midfield, it was caught out at times when teams applied defensive pressure.

Our lack of game plans cost us finals. I need to see that it's evolved next year.

Our game plans, or some pretty friggen poor attempts at goals at key moments, by key players, in very important games??? :think::think:

I dont disagree our game plans need evolving.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back