Backline coach: Aaron Hamill
Midfield coach: Tim Clarke
Coaching and Performance Manager: Aaron Greaves
Ruck coach: Matthew Kreuzer
Head of Development: Luke Power
Development and Talent Manager: Tom Lonergan
Development coach: Brad Ebert
Development coach: Torin Baker
Ffs, can any of them go through the midfield? Well M Vo…

I think the 'tactics' side has been a work area, but I saw it in 2022 as a bunch of new coaches coming together, having to get to know one another as well as players, and unpacking and redrawing game plans, all in a few weeks before a pre-season, and then having to build on the fly as dealing with injuries. I look forward to continual improvement, building on some positives from this past year.

As an aside, is there anything else you would've like Vossy to have sent in his recent email? I reproduce from his email below what I saw as some of his key points:

"On the field, we’ll look to grow our contested game even more, while adding layers to our transition, both with and without the football.

Off the field, it is continuing to establish our culture, based on selflessness and being a good teammate.

A strong connection to one another is a trademark our playing group is beginning to wear with pride. There is a growing understanding that you put the hard work in for your teammates, not just yourself.

These innate behaviours are developed over many pre-seasons, not just one.

Given our lack of continuity during last season, our group as a whole didn’t get the chance to spend extended periods together on the field, however this pre-season gives us that opportunity – to build depth to our game plan and have that natural growth that will come as we spend more time together."
No doubt it has and it did evolve during the season, we did improve our team defence, but I would say our forward line's ability to switch to a more accountable structure, which you have to do in modern footy, did not improve at all, that lingered all the way through until it was an aspect which cost us a win in the last round. There are certainly some areas which never budged while others did. The new group is no excuse for mine, Collingwood had a new coaching group and IMO where one of the better coached teams in the league. Injuries is no excuse either, it was the early games where we let ourselves down the most in regards to game plan and we weren't overly affected by injuries then. Injuries should not really matter with game plan anyway, these are professional players who all should know the game plan. To be honest I did not see injuries have any affect on game plan a lot of the time, how we defend and apply pressure etc was affected by how our players as a group were playing, not who they were. It just saw the quality of the team we fielded fluctuate it shouldn't have affected the game plan.

In the end we were the best team outside the 8 by a mile, it saw teams who were lesser teams go ahead of us to play finals. Despite injuries, the vast majority of teams we fielded were top 8 quality and many top 4 quality. That one stings.

I think the message reads well and I expect positive things going forward. There was no doubt we entered 2022 underprepared and full of holes, we dropped the ball there and it cost us finals. 2023 will give everyone a chance for redemption.

Most certainly I will be keen to see how we have changed our game plan and our ability to switch from one structure to another. If it doesn't evolve it's another lost year when we are in our window and that stings.

Carlton 2023 coaching group:

AFL Senior Coach:
Michael Voss
Senior Assistant coach – Forward line and offensive coach: Ash Hansen
Backline coach: Aaron Hamill
Midfield coach: Tim Clarke
Coaching and Performance Manager: Aaron Greaves
Ruck coach: Matthew Kreuzer
Head of Development: Luke Power
Development and Talent Manager: Tom Lonergan
Development coach: Brad Ebert
Development coach: Torin Baker
Who is the VFL coach

From a development point of view, VFL is critical and should have the same game plans as the seniors

I reckon it would have been an interesting review at the end of the season. Obviously develop was a focus, and I love the inclusions. It looks like a really well-resourced program now.

The make-up of the senior/assistant coaching group would have provided the football department with an unenviable call to make. There were obvious tactical/game-plan limitations this year, but working out where those issues were isn't straightforward. The call could have been something like:
  • Do we think that the tactical/game-plan issues were a deficiency of the personnel on the team, and therefore need to bring in someone with that expertise?
  • Or, are we confident in the personnel, but they haven't had enough time to bring about the changes needed?

It's a big call to make, because if you get it wrong it could put you one year behind schedule. It looks like we've gone with the latter option (although, we can't rule out that we chased someone for option 1, but no one was available). In any case, given the overhaul we went through at the end of last year, and the complete lack of a program/game-plan that the new coaches inherited, I can see why the energy might have been put into development rather than tactics. Just hope it's the right call.

I hope we don’t get complacent given our turnaround in form in the 2nd half of the season because i feel it’s vitality important that we make some changes to our football department this offseason.

Brad Lloyd time has surely come to an end. We need a fresh experienced look.

The assistants also need a refresh. Surely we are getting into Andrew McQualters ear about coming across.

It’s vital that we put some tacticians around Voss

I hope we don’t get complacent given our turnaround in form in the 2nd half of the season because i feel it’s vitality important that we make some changes to our football department this offseason.

The assistants also need a refresh. Surely we are getting into Andrew McQualters ear about coming across.

It’s vital that we put some tacticians around Voss

Why?

Beat me to it. Probably because people believe the BS in the media about Voss being a poor tactician. Unless you are in the coaching group inner sanctum, you wouldnt know. As for Lloyd, why is his time "surely up"? Whats he done wrong? He was part of a leadership team (led by Sayers and Cook) who steered the Club through a difficult period and onto making a PF.

Because people want to justify their delirious mid-season rantings. Let's just sack everyone and start again, most successful season in 23 years and we are looking to invent issues and search for a scapegoat, Brad Lloyd's turn I guess.

It’s vital that we put some tacticians around Voss.

Would hope that there's some forced movement, never a good sign when no one is trying to poach your assistant coaches...

Because people want to justify their delirious mid-season rantings. Let's just sack everyone and start again, most successful season in 23 years and we are looking to invent issues and search for a scapegoat, Brad Lloyd's turn I guess.
He didn't seem to say sack everyone from my quick read through. He mentioned a refresh of the assistants and specifically references one potential in McQualter. Unless we have the best 9 people in the assistant positions available we absolutely should be looking to improve on any we can. He also mentioned Lloyd who the same criteria should apply to. If he's the best, keep him, if not, try and get the best.

Best year in 23 years is a decent starting point, but we made a prelim. There is many areas we can and should improve on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He didn't seem to say sack everyone from my quick read through. He mentioned a refresh of the assistants and specifically references one potential in McQualter. Unless we have the best 9 people in the assistant positions available we absolutely should be looking to improve on any we can. He also mentioned Lloyd who the same criteria should apply to. If he's the best, keep him, if not, try and get the best.

Best year in 23 years is a decent starting point, but we made a prelim. There is many areas we can and should improve on.
who?

We've finally got a sense of stability & results have followed.
There's no doubt that the performances of the Assistant Coaches & all staff are reviewed on an ongoing basis.
The discussion around Lloyd has often been baseless sniping & the remark about his time having surely come appears to be an attempt to justify the notion that he is in some way not up to the task at hand.

I think it's become fairly clear that the "lack of tactical nous" from Voss earlier in the year was more likely evidence that he simply wanted the team to bed down certain aspects of the gameplan, and that process took a bit longer than hoped for.

He showed late in the season that he was willing to make significant tactical moves within games, in response to the game state. Curnow back, Martin back, Kemp and Gov forward. These may not have been his ideas, and could have come from one or more of the assistants, but either way we clearly have a coaching group who are adding layers and levers to our game.

Assess the market and pick up a quality assistant if they're available, sure. But if we're beaten to the punch on certain names, I think we have a group that can take us the next step.

No-one predicted our horrendous start to last season, and no-one predicted our staggering improvement and streak in the 2nd half.

No-one predicted we'd reach a prelim final either.

Are there any coaches in the firing line or are we comfortable with what we've seen the 2nd half of the season will take us where we we need to be?

I don’t know how good the coaches are. I’m sure they know what they are doing 😎

What I do know is our game plan, style so far has been about bedding down a base to develop further. The coaches were very much around getting a defensive structure in place along with work ethic, culture etc. When Voss arrived there were more problems than most realise

I really believe even the coaches were surprised how far we got this year. There is very much a long term view to develop sustained success. Our defensive structure was excellent and got us a long way

The difference between us and Collingwood is McRae walked into a good culture, a mature list, and a very good defensive structure. He then built on it. Plus got N.Daicos. I see us about 12-18 months behind them in terms of game style and list profile

I am sure the pre season will now be about connection and balance of when to attack and when to defend and pace of play.

That’s what’s exciting

Last edited:

What I do know is our game plan, style so far has been about bedding down a base to develop further. The coaches were very much around getting a defensive structure in place along with work ethic, culture etc. When Voss arrived there were more problems than most realise

I really believe even the coaches were surprised how far we got this year. There is very much a long term view to develop sustained success. Our defensive structure was excellent and got us a long way

The difference between us and Collingwood is McRae walked into a good culture, a mature list, and a very good defensive structure. He then built on it. Plus got N.Daicos. I see us about 12-18 months behind them in terms of game style and list profile

I am sure the pre season will now be about connection and balance of when to attack and when to defend and pace of play.

That’s what’s exciting

You missed all the hullaballo about Voss being too defensive-minded on here - when the team was not kicking well and losing games...

agree with your summary statement above 100% - only people that compared good teams to Carlton understood how crap Carlton's whole of field defensive effectiveness was and how much work had to go into fixing the issues and how the coaching group tried a lot of different player combinations to get the beginning of a strong team balance right.

Still reading stuff on here about how Voss has no clue about what 'modern football' is and Carlton winning close games is just luck.

Tom Morris
@tommorris32

The WESTERNBULLDOGS
are chasing Justin Leppitsch to fill a senior role in Luke Beveridge’s coaching setup

That’s what’s exciting

Just to add to this, the Pies didn’t just bring McRae in to that, they added Bolton and Leppitsch to the group.

Both with senior coaching experience and lots of premiership experience as assistants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back