Resource Carlton College of Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Impressive work. Links to the community are extremely important, gives us access to the latest research, students get practical experience while effectively in a job interview.

Nice

Impressive work. Links to the community are extremely important, gives us access to the latest research, students get practical experience while effectively in a job interview.

Nice

If it takes off, we can really increase numbers. Definitely a side earner, much like Liddle overseeing gyms and recreation centres as an alternative source of revenue for the Tigers.

I can see it now...

"Welcome to the Carlton College of Sport, our motto is 'non enim illi qui docent': those who can't do, teach."

In all seriousness, if the diploma is highly specific then I'm OK with the partnership as it presents as a commercial venture, but La Trobe doesn't dazzle me from an academic perspective.

I can see it now...

"Welcome to the Carlton College of Sport, our motto is 'non enim illi qui docent': those who can't do, teach."

In all seriousness, if the diploma is highly specific then I'm OK with the partnership as it presents as a commercial venture, but La Trobe doesn't dazzle me from an academic perspective.

Well, plants a few seeds, which can't hurt. The harvest is theoretically a number of years down the track. It's a nice initiative, there might be a few in year 12 who suddenly know what they want to do next year.

Well, plants a few seeds, which can't hurt. The harvest is theoretically a number of years down the track. It's a nice initiative, there might be a few in year 12 who suddenly know what they want to do next year.

I wish this was around when I was 30 ... err when I was 10 years younger.

Like say, pay a company 20 grand a head to study a little then work an unpaid internship for the Carlton Football Club, with something like a 1 in 12 chance at getting a job?

Like say, pay a company 20 grand a head to study a little then work an unpaid internship for the Carlton Football Club, with something like a 1 in 12 chance at getting a job?

The people applying have a desire to be involved in the industry, so they get the involvement. Most clubs have a few coming through as exercise science students etc. I'm not sure why you have an issue with Latrobe-tertiary education is largely about offering access and opportunity rather than holding people hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The people applying have a desire to be involved in the industry, so they get the involvement. Most clubs have a few coming through as exercise science students etc. I'm not sure why you have an issue with Latrobe-tertiary education is largely about offering access and opportunity rather than holding people hands.
I had an issue with the quality of the research partner from the perspective of advancing our high performance unit, but now I've got a separate and more significant issue with the fee structure given the entry requirements and outcomes.

Wasn't there a massive national conversation in the last 12 months about exactly this kind of predatory practice with diploma courses?

Take a look for yourself:
https://carltoncollegeofsport.com.au/course-info/
https://www.latrobe.edu.au/courses/diploma-of-sports-coaching-and-development

Last edited:
I had an issue with the quality of the research partner from the perspective of advancing our high performance unit, but now I've got a separate and more significant issue with the fee structure given the entry requirements and outcomes.

Wasn't there a massive national conversation in the last 12 months about exactly this kind of predatory practice with diploma courses?

Take a look for yourself:
https://carltoncollegeofsport.com.au/course-info/
https://www.latrobe.edu.au/courses/diploma-of-sports-coaching-and-development

Well education isn't free. $19,500 for a year doesn't sound ridiculous to me considering it's an elite sporting environment entry level. I guess we'll know more at this time next year as to value for money/slave labour questions.

Centuries worth of enlightened individuals are spinning in their graves right now, slowly sending the planet off-axis.

Let's hope their karma allows rebirth in a university with a high world ranking. For the health of the planet.

I can see it now...

Nah depends what field. My brother is a Physio, studied at Monash, but said Latrobe is actually the best Vic uni for Physios.

Melbourne and Monash are better in 95% of courses compared to Latrobe, but perhaps their health and sports sciences can leading edge?

The Carlton link can't hurt to attract the top talent anyway!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back