Prediction 2018 Carlton Consensus Best 22 [Done and Dusted]

Who should be our 2018 Captain, 2 x Vice-Captains and 2 add. Leaders for Season 2018? (PICK FIVE)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
IT'S BACK FOR 2018!

We now have our Best 22 for Round 1, 2018 and our Preferential Captain choice is none other than Patrick’s Cripps.

Our 2 x Vice-Captains were voted as incumbent Marc Murphy and young gun Sam Docherty.

Experienced duo Ed Curnow and Kade Simpson round out the five-man Leadership group for Season 2018.

Thabks to all who voted and contributed this year and especially to Aphrodite and Jeremias for their help in keeping things flowing.

Until next year!

Here's how it played out this year.

Given it’s impossible to predict who will be here (let alone in our 22) long-term or when we’re challenging, we voted on a Consensus best 22 for Round 1, 2018 – using a few assumptions as guides:
  1. All players barring Sam Docherty (sad face) will be fit and eligible for the round one side
  2. We will need a healthy balance of players in each part of the ground i.e. balance of talls/smalls to make a realistic starting side
  3. There are no indiscretions among players leading to disqualification from selection
  4. Rookies [A + B] can be selected
  5. You should independently choose who you believe will be the best players in each respective position to help us win Round 1 against the old enemy – and likely to continue to be a big part of our team for 2018
As a comparison, here’s what we voted last year – a solid indication of how we rated last year’s squad.

Consensus 2017 Lineup
FB: Ciaran Byrne (83) - Caleb Marchbank (93) - Lachie Plowman (101)
HB: Sam Docherty (108) - Jacob Weitering (106) - Kade Simpson (101)
C: Marc Murphy (119) - Ed Curnow (102) - Sam Petrevski-Seton (60)
HF: Charlie Curnow (107) - Harry McKay (93) - Jack Silvagni (117)
FF: Liam Sumner (69) - Levi Casboult (73) - Matthew Wright (80)
R: Matthew Kreuzer (83) - Bryce Gibbs (120) - Patrick Cripps (120)
I: Sam Rowe (38) - Rhys Palmer (26) - Jarrod Pickett (65) - David Cuningham (49)
Emg: Sam Kerridge (34) - Dennis Armfield (32) - Andrew Phillips (31)​

2018 Voting
  1. We will vote for the 6 best backs (starters). The 7th player will get bench spot #1 (Completed)
  2. We will vote for the 7 starting mids (including one ruckman). The 7th highest voted player will get bench spot #2 (Completed)
  3. Will vote for 6 starting forwards. The 7th player will get bench spot #3 (Completed)
  4. The remaining interchange position (22nd spot) will be open slather depending on team mix, whilst the next three players will make up our emergencies. Given the amount of talls already voted in, this player should be a smaller type (Completed)
  5. NEW in 2018: We will vote on the Captain and 2 x Vice Captains plus 2 x additional players to make up a FIVE MAN Leadership Group for 2018. ALL Players are eligible, including Doc.
Thus begins the 2018 Consensus Best 22 Voting.

Consensus 2018 Lineup
FB: Ciaran Byrne (98) - Liam Jones (156) - Lachie Plowman (161)
HB: Caleb Marchbank (164) - Jacob Weitering (156) - Kade Simpson (150)
C: Sam Petrevski-Seton (175) - Ed Curnow (157) - Marc Murphy (175)
HF: Charlie Curnow (150) - Levi Casboult (108) - Jarrod Pickett (143)
FF: Matthew Wright (119) - Harry McKay (101) - Jack Silvagni (135)
R: Matthew Kreuzer (181) - Patrick Cripps (183) - Matthew Kennedy (177)
I: Tom Williamson (76) - David Cuningham (67) - Zac Fisher (64) - Paddy Dow (67)
EMG: Darcy Lang (66) - Jarrod Garlett (39) - Aaron Mullett (19)​

*Players were ruled out for following position/s once successful in a particular area of the ground of account of us not being able to have two of the same player (amazing as that would be #Cripps2Cripps2Cripps).

Last edited:
Well if it is round 1, this would do nicely

Plowman Jones Simpson
Byrne Wetering Marchbank

Matty411 hope you have Willo in the list of midfielders, like him on a wing this year
Absolutely... the mids list is a long one, likely to include guys like Willo, Shaw, Garlett and Schumacher - all types that can play anywhere between the arcs.

Jones
Weitering
Plowman
Marchbank
Simpson

The above all just about pick themselves IMO.

Last spot comes down to Byrne vs Williamson and I'd expect to see both regularly at senior level in 2018.

I'll go with Byrne as Williamson will be included in the mids poll as well and should feature on the bench regardless.

Is Plowman considered a tall?
I'd say so yes, but imo he can play on both talls and smalls - huge plus for us versatility-wise.
Like that you have included Garlett as a back, think he may play a similar role to what he did in the WAFL this year, great work Matty
Cheers mate - we've got heaps of options down back this year. The focus on versatility and flexibility in our recruiting is really clear when doing this exercise.

Is Plowman considered a tall?
I have tended to think so, but SEN player ratings name him playing mostly on smalls.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/117259/Lachie-PLOWMAN

Rich Hands were full all night with variety of opponents, including Martin
Ess Beat Fantasia hands down
StK Had his hands full with the quicker Jack Billings
GWS Had the task on Greene
GCS Did what he needed to do, and kept Matera's influence to a minimum
Rich Followed Rioli as well as other Tiger smalls
Bris Had a failed stint on Zorko
Geel Defender was under siege Italian Army style. Couple of times late he defender Dangerfield really well.

The only talls they mention are Peter Wright & Mitch McGovern.

Jones
Weitering
Plowman
Marchbank
Simpson

Last spot comes down to Byrne vs Williamson and I'd expect to see both regularly at senior level in 2018.

I'll go with Byrne as Williamson will be included in the mids poll as well and should feature on the bench regardless.
I went with the same 6 but I have to say I think a lot of ppl forget how good ASOS was before he got injured.
He was excellent for almost all his games both in marking and restricting his opponents.
Funny that he got injured the game Jones came in. Would've been interesting to see them both in the same side....
Might have to move him into those 6 if he gets another chance and reproduces that form

Last edited:
I went with the same 6 but I have to say I think a lot of ppl forget how good Asos was before he got injured.
He was excellent for almost all his games both in marking and restricting his opponents.
Funny that he got injured the game Jones came in. Would've been interesting to see them both in the same side....
Might have to move him into those 6 if he gets another chance and reproduces that form
And lets not forget his job on Buddy (maybe tough to compare to later in the season considering the Swans of r23 vs Swans of r6) but he kept him to 1 goal....ad opposed to 10 the next time around

Sen player ratings fell off a cliff last season. Used to be handy but i got a strong impression they didn’t watch many, if any Carlton games and just stat watched.
Maybe, I'd be surprised if they invented match ups though.

I went with the same 6 but I have to say I think a lot of ppl forget how good Asos was before he got injured.
Strongly considered putting him in. He's decent in the air, but fantastic at ground level which is what makes him such a good match up on Buddy. More & more forwards have that combination now too.

I'm against him & Jones in the same side though, just because we'd have to drop one of the younger guys.

Jones
Weitering
Plowman
Marchbank
Simpson

My thoughts exactly. Picked Byrne as the sixth but expecting Willo to nab a spot on the bench (or perhaps even wing?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strongly considered putting him in. He's decent in the air, but fantastic at ground level which is what makes him such a good match up on Buddy. More & more forwards have that combination now too.

I'm against him & Jones in the same side though, just because we'd have to drop one of the younger guys.
I think they play almost the exact same way, so I agree only one in the team. Both have great speed, strong in the contest and would play on the biggest defender.

What are the chances, the two of them making a rebirth of their careers within 6 weeks of each other.
Who would've thought at the start of last year...
Oh well im sure they"ll work something out. Good problem to have

i think there needs to be at least Rowe, Silvagni or Plow in there, they are big boys need to line up against the big boys, Weiters Marchy & Jones are pretty moveable and still get shafted around in the contest. All very good at peeling off and taking a grab, which is infact needed, but you still need the big man workhorse of Rowey or Silvagni, I'd go Silvagni over Rowe simply because he is a better user of the footy, then again we do have Plowman which probably trumps both. Every time Rowey gets it deep in the back pocket i have multiple nervous breakdowns, but for punching it out of contests i'm quite contempt with him, ahhh the joys.

on another note *WHERE DID ALL THESE RUNNING DEFENDERS COME FROM*

got a headache.

I went with the same 6 but I have to say I think a lot of ppl forget how good ASOS was before he got injured.

Alex was very good but I have him as a depth option for us next year.

As a pure stopper though I'm not sure I see room for both he and Jones in the same side, and I'd definitely be giving Jones first go in that key defensive spot.

The only way I see both coexisting in the same side is if we move Weitering forward and use Jones in a more attacking role, which certainly wouldn't be my preference.

I've gone with:-

Marchbank
Weitering
Jones
Plowman
Simpson
Williamson
Ditto. I feel it's potentially a bit tall, but with Doc out...
I'd happily move Willow to a wing or the bench and bring one of O'Shea, Garlett, Mullet or Byrne in. I know we're assuming that all are fit if they aren't currently known to be injured, but I just can't bring myself to give Byrne a solid spot. I hope for the best, but fear for the worst with his history.

EDIT: And Jonesy gets the benefit of the doubt for now, but I fear he'll be in and out of the side.

It seems like the O'Shea recruitment was all but confirmed a while ago. He's 25 & he's been right in the clubs face for 12 months. I expect him to be best 22 next year.

Probably 7-8 defenders in the team, we're pretty tall in defence which is fine. Our backline looks pretty decent, no doubt SOS has focused on that for starters and Jones bobbing up is a good find. Some excellent depth with Silvagni, Macreadie, Rowe, O'Brien, Shaw and O'Shea and Garlett who can play there. Docherty is a big loss but there are hands up for that spot.

It seems like the O'Shea recruitment was all but confirmed a while ago. He's 25 & he's been right in the clubs face for 12 months. I expect him to be best 22 next year.
Given our original plan was to rookie him, I don't.

Loving that Marchbank is currently the only guy to have 100% of the votes. Incredible (and absolutely warranted) that he's become so important so quickly.

Back