Prediction Carlton Consensus Best 22 (RESULTS ARE IN)

Who should take the final spot in our Consensus Best 22 for 2017? (PICK FOUR)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Could take a mark.

Couldn't kick over a lolly tin.

Won our goalkicking one year.

Kicked 40 odd....98 points....and 36 on the full.
Sounds like Brad Fisher. Still stuck on 99 games too.

41. did bugger all. more a decoy for the mosquito fleet.

francis unlucky not to be bog with johnston

Keogh a matchwinner as well.

Jawed Russell Olsen, who was cutting us up, just before half time. He didn't touch it after.

Was part of the game back then.

I remember Rod Galt. Used to spend vast amounts of time leaning on the goalpost watching the game upfield.

Well we're learning that a lot of people are nervous about playing kids in all the key posts, but the proposed alternatives are Rowe and Levi...

I think Levi has to play at first Jim. The forward alternatives in key positions are Jones and McKay. I'd love McKay to be the one, but the ask is too much for a guy in his second season who hasn't played a senior game. Hopefully by the end of the year he is starting 18. So fingers crossed a fit Levi with kicking assisted by Sav can show a significant improvement on 2016.

Of course, the poll doesn't provide the option, but I'd be amazed if one of Marchbank or Weitering doesn't play forward. I know there's a whole thread dedicated to just that. But Rowe playing allows one of the other two to rotate forward. So Rowe and Levi are both in my round one team. Levi goes if Harry comes good, and Rowe plays most of the season to provide us with flexibility for Marchbank and Weitering.

Jesus the old days were good, here we are rattling off a best 5 in a grand final like it was yesterday.

That's it.

Am now an old man.

me too. what was good about then was we had a great defence, a handy ruckman, a dominant midfield all over the ground and very average tall forward line options. sound familiar?

Last edited:
for all the discussion about our best forward line its in late 2017 I want to see

Silvagni McKay Pickett*
Rowe# Kerr LeBois*

*midfield rotations with murphy cripps gibbs charlie sumner sps fisher & polson. cuningham & curnow through the bench
#replaced by Peter Wright in 2018 (our big fish target)

My thoughts are these;

1. IMHO - Jaksch is the most 'natural / experienced' forward we have on our list. His marking and kicking is very, very good and he knows where to run and lead as a forward. Better than Jones & Casboult.
2. He's another versatile, young athletic tall and therefore should be played after being in the AFL system for that long. We can switch him back as needed to replace say a Rowe or Marchbank or Weitering....that is a big weapon to have.
3. Unlike some others, I want to give McKay and Kerr time to develop, so we need our best in our 22 in 2017 until such a time these boys are ready.
4. We need to play him and see if I am right or not. We need to make a call on him in 12 months.

It would be a shame if he spent the year in the NB's kicking 2-3 per game, and then was delisted. I agree he needs to be put into the seniors and given 4-5 games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just want to see the highly rated, top end talent coming through and establishing themselves in 2017. This means some of the old stalwarts will have to make way and become handy depth players.

If Carlton finish next year winning games with the following top 22 I think it would mark a giant leap forward in the team's development.

FB: Plowman Rowe Simpson
HB: Docherty Weitering Marchbank
C: SPS Cripps Sumner
R: Kreuzer Gibbs Murphy
HF: SOS McKay C. Curnow
FF: Smedts Gorringe Fisher

Int: Jaksch, Pickett, E. Curnow, Cuningham

It's also really pleasing to see that there is now good coverage in nearly every position.

I just want to see the highly rated, top end talent coming through and establishing themselves in 2017. This means some of the old stalwarts will have to make way and become handy depth players.

If Carlton finish next year winning games with the following top 22 I think it would mark a giant leap forward in the team's development.

FB: Plowman Rowe Simpson
HB: Docherty Weitering Marchbank
C: SPS Cripps Sumner
R: Kreuzer Gibbs Murphy
HF: SOS McKay C. Curnow
FF: Smedts Gorringe Fisher

Int: Jaksch, Pickett, E. Curnow, Cuningham

It's also really pleasing to see that there is now good coverage in nearly every position.

mostly like it. i'd have palmer ahead of smedts easily. here's hoping jaksch does stand up but i really have my doubts.

OP Updated - Forward poll completed. Final poll will go up tomorrow at some point and will see us voting for the final spot - not just the best player, but the one who'll bring the greatest balance and value to this team that has been voted in.

Forward Review
SOS joins the 100% club with Doc, Gibbs and Cripps - our favourite quartet at the club.

In the end, the consensus favoured 3 x 2015 draftees in SOS (100% of the vote), Charlie (91.5%) and McKay (79.5%) despite only playing a handful of games between them - such is the hope and faith we're placing in them.

Inaccurate battler Levi Casboult garnered enough votes to snag his spot near goal with 62.4%, while Matthew Wright (68.4%) rightly keeps his spot after leading our goal-kicking in 2016. Liam Sumner (59%) surprising garnered enough votes to take the position of designated small forward alongside Wright - resigning newcomer and excitement machine Jarrod Pickett to the bench with a narrow downgrade of 55.6% of the votes.

Billie Smedts (20 votes), Sam Kerridge (14) and Dennis Armfield (18) were the most popular of the rest and secure their spot in the final poll - featuring the 22 next most voted from the previous 3 votes.

mostly like it. i'd have palmer ahead of smedts easily. here's hoping jaksch does stand up but i really have my doubts.
Yes, I agree but I'm really looking for the young talent to stand up and Smedts is one of those. Hopefully he has shown enough by the end of next year to earn selection. He showed some terrific skills before all the injuries.

Or maybe he is another mathew hayden

No chance in hell. Least Hayden was piling on runs in Sheffield Shield and probably averaging over 55 at the time. I doubt Maddinson averages 40 in shield cricket but got picked in Test side. It's not like he had played 5 shield games and his shield average meant nothing and they picked on potential. It had destined to fail all over it.

Forward 6 tally results:-

1. Jack Silvagni
    117 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Dylan Buckley
    2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. Harry McKay
    93 vote(s)
    79.5%
  4. Sam Kerridge
    14 vote(s)
    12.0%
  5. Blaine Boekhorst
    3 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. Jed Lamb
    7 vote(s)
    6.0%
  7. Liam Jones
    3 vote(s)
    2.6%
  8. Billie Smedts
    20 vote(s)
    17.1%
  9. Kristian Jaksch
    6 vote(s)
    5.1%

10. Liam Sumner
    69 vote(s)
    59.0%
  11. Charlie Curnow
    107 vote(s)
    91.5%
  12. Matthew Wright
    80 vote(s)
    68.4%
  13. Dennis Armfield
    18 vote(s)
    15.4%
  14. David Cuningham
    5 vote(s)
    4.3%
  15. Cameron Polson
    2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  16. Nick Graham
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Jarrod Pickett
    65 vote(s)
    55.6%
  18. Andrew Phillips
    4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  19. Simon White
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Daniel Gorringe
    1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  21. Dale Thomas
    4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  22. Levi Casboult
    73 vote(s)
    62.4%

FINAL POLL IS UP, seeing the final position on the bench filled. Think about the current balance of the side (noted in OP) and think about the best player to make up the last spot.

The three next highest vote-getters will make up our emergencies.

Get voting - will close on Wednesday at 1pm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back