List Mgmt. Carlton Draft 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

After watching his highlites reel, I'm surprised he wan't picked up in the drafts.
What I like more than anything is that most of the highlights were of marking and tackling. Both really good traits. When he didn't have the ball he seemed to fight for it pretty well. Only a highlights reel but if he can do these things consistently in games he should make it.

Get in line!!
I should back my initial judgement more and not listen to BF as much sometimes.
(This is all from my draft board in their draft years)

"Darcy Fogarty is going to want to show something soon.
If Rayner produces a decent beep test/2km time trial, I could see him moving into position 1. He probably deserves it a little more than Cerra.

Stephenson is moving closer to where I thought he should have been at the before the championships, just has that element of burst speed that you have to love. Looking more comfortable on the wing.

I have a watch this space on Dow and his kicking, it worries me a little. "

"

Jordie_tackles said:
What do you love so much about Cerra consistently having him top of your rankings?
The main game that stands out for me is the WA game.
He tackled insanely hard, worked well in close and has some of the best hands in the championships. Seems to be a one touch player that also has a defensive side to his game. Spreads well from the contest and always looking to create space.
He moved into the forward line and looked dangerous there as well, loved his leading patterns. I was attempting to look at a heap of other players but he just stood out to me.
If Rayner records a decent endurance score before the draft camp, I could see him being picked with the first selection.
Fogarty - Every game I've seen he has looked bad.
LDU - I had him around the pick 1 mark, but his kicking is a slight worry for me.
Hayes - Not worth a pick 1.
Stephenson - Very outside, kicking has some issues so I would prefer that inside/outside midfielder.
LOB - Very outside as well, I prefer the more inside player.

Not sure what other players people are considering with pick 1, but for me other than Rayner, I think Cerra can do it all. "

"I'd have to see more of Dow, his kicking at times seems to be a long bomb it out of a contest. Those were my initial thoughts but on another viewing it did not seem as bad as my first thoughts. Still, I'd like him to be a little more composed when kicking."

If Rayner produces a decent beep test/2km time trial, I could see him moving into position 1. He probably deserves it a little more than Cerra.

Stephenson is moving closer to where I thought he should have been at the before the championships, just has that element of burst speed that you have to love. Looking more comfortable on the wing.

"

He tackled insanely hard, worked well in close and has some of the best hands in the championships. Seems to be a one touch player that also has a defensive side to his game. Spreads well from the contest and always looking to create space.
He moved into the forward line and looked dangerous there as well, loved his leading patterns. I was attempting to look at a heap of other players but he just stood out to me.
If Rayner records a decent endurance score before the draft camp, I could see him being picked with the first selection.
LDU - I had him around the pick 1 mark, but his kicking is a slight worry for me.
Stephenson - Very outside, kicking has some issues so I would prefer that inside/outside midfielder.

Not sure what other players people are considering with pick 1, but for me other than Rayner, I think Cerra can do it all. "

"I'd have to see more of Dow, his kicking at times seems to be a long bomb it out of a contest. Those were my initial thoughts but on another viewing it did not seem as bad as my first thoughts. Still, I'd like him to be a little more composed when kicking."

Most, if not all of BF, seem to want to emulate where a player is going to get drafted, rather than looking at traits and characteristics of what they could be long term.

No one gets it right everytime, not even recruiters, so best to back in your judgement and keep highlighting the players you believe will impact the game

"

I had some similar thoughts about some of those players at draft time.

My thinking at the time of that draft was that Cerra and LDU were more rounded players than Dow.

The impression l got was that we were looking for some speed and that was a very appealing attribute of Dows. Unfortunately Dows endurance was very poor and this has gone on to be a significant issue. I think Cerra and LDU were the lower risk options.

I also remember watching the draft and being concerned about taking such an outside player at pick 10. Another risky move as outside players at u18 level quite often don’t translate well to AFL .

To me Carlton went searching too hard for specific types.

In saying all that Dow could still end up a very dynamic and valuable player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Most, if not all of BF, seem to want to emulate where a player is going to get drafted, rather than looking at traits and characteristics of what they could be long term.

No one gets it right everytime, not even recruiters, so best to back in your judgement and keep highlighting the players you believe will impact the game

Not ever year I have strong feelings against the grain compared to what Carlton draft. I just remember the Dow year being super upset about the concept of missing Cerra.

In saying that, I was completely against the Cripps pick, so sometimes you nail it other times you miss the mark massively.

Not ever year I have strong feelings against the grain compared to what Carlton draft. I just remember the Dow year being super upset about the concept of missing Cerra.

In saying that, I was completely against the Cripps pick, so sometimes you nail it other times you miss the mark massively.

I too wanted Cerra before Dow, but would have also taken Constable (still would). You know my thoughts on Rivers, Jackson Denver-Barass and not having Rowell in the top 6 long term.

Always best to back your own judgement

I wanted LDU and Cerra before Dow. My only issue with Cerra was he doesn't have a lot of pace and I thought we needed that.

Let's see if Dow rises to Cerra's level with some friendly same draft rivalry.

IIRC Dow's sample size was a bit smaller than others and there was a fair bit of hype after his promising championships as one of the younger players in his draft.

Also have to look at the dominant players of the time to understand why we went that way - Dangerfield backed up his 2016 in 2017 and there quite a few similarities down to his inconsistent kicking. He was also a low possession winner as a junior and young player, and we thought Dow would eventually build his stats once he entered the system.

I thought Cerra looked pretty generic in his draft footage. Had a decent football brain, neat kick, but nothing that really stood out. I do recall he was pretty decent overhead for his size. My main concern was he'd come into the system and his smarts just wouldn't much of a point of difference at the next level and he'd be another Reece Conca or Jimmy Toumpas.

There has been some good progress in his game since arriving at Fremantle. His kicking, which was always a strength, went up another couple of gears. He developed more X-factor and more urgency in the way he played. Still looks like he's cruising, but there's a bit more resolve to his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wanted LDU and Cerra before Dow. My only issue with Cerra was he doesn't have a lot of pace and I thought we needed that.

I did originally but I knew we'd be chasing a bit of speed and thought we couldn't go wrong with that pick. It was the O'Brien selection that I dreaded, even well before I knew we were going to have a pick at around that range. He had Carlton written all over him, figuratively speaking.

Good signs from Dow at times last year but has no idea when not in possession and doesn’t work hard enough to make himself a marking option, has put in the extra work on his kicking which was very good last year especially his inside 50 kicks which were 1000% better.

let's say "has no idea when not in possession and doesn’t work hard enough to make himself a marking option" is for real - where do people think he goes? in his head? in his thinking? in his planning for the next possession? I'm bullish on paddy this season, perhaps out of a desperate hope he finally smashes out.......

let's say "has no idea when not in possession and doesn’t work hard enough to make himself a marking option" is for real - where do people think he goes? in his head? in his thinking? in his planning for the next possession? I'm bullish on paddy this season, perhaps out of a desperate hope he finally smashes out.......
I'd like to see him spend a bit of time tagging the number one mid in the VFL for a few months. Best way to get the defensive running up to scratch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back