List Mgmt. Carlton Draft 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

The club would be crazy not to consider Ronny FRJ (Ronny Fejo Jnr) with a later pick or if we trade upwards.

Moves like a more flashy, agile and better kicking version of SPS.

Has benefitted from SANFL experience and game time this year also.

Like it, but will we have the list spots?

Minor phrasing error/mislead.

We have no reason to delist Cottrell just to re-select him in the rookie draft. If we do that, we could've just offered him a fourth year rookie deal and saved the hassle and risk. The rules literally changed this year to allow a fourth year rookie deal without the need to delist and re-draft, yet we are delisting and re-drafting...

It's because he needs to be of the list come lodgement day end of November.

Some time between Dec 1 and mid-March when the SSP closes. Doc will go onto the inactive list and Cottrell will be his SSP rookie replacement.

A decision on Doc's season wouldn't be too outlandish considering the significant health journey he is on and its effects on the human body, particularly in a high performance environment.

Further, it would be an absolute joke if we only took 1 kid in this draft pool. You need a consistent stream of youth coming in on a yearly basis - which is why the 3 picks in the ND was mandated in the first place.

2 ND picks and Akuei as Cat B, should be the absolute minimum for fresh blood in the team.
A second pick in the 60's this year might be more speculative than leaving room for a mid-season pick next year.

Yes...
But, the club has publicly stated O’Brien and Cottrell will be picked up via the rookie draft

Minor phrasing error/mislead.

We have no reason to delist Cottrell just to re-select him in the rookie draft. If we do that, we could've just offered him a fourth year rookie deal and saved the hassle and risk. The rules literally changed this year to allow a fourth year rookie deal without the need to delist and re-draft, yet we are delisting and re-drafting...

My thoughts as well - i fully expect we will select 2 in the draft, upgrade Kennedy, LOB in the Rookie draft and Cottrell to be added later for a LTI

The occasional hit but lots of misses there.
In a draft pool like 2021 when many of youngsters not had much footy in last two years, it going to be almost pure luck if you hit or miss I would think.
I just doubt the recruiters could have much confidence in their rankings of the draft pool as they would have pre-2020.
The thing is, with pick 25, you might fluke on a guy that should have been top ten in past but because the lack of footy played compared to past pool groups, I doubt anyone can be sure either way so it scary to have an early pick and bugger it up.
25 is not early enough to be scared of stuffing up. Expectations not that high to begin with.

James Rowbottom might prove to be best 25 in years to come.
Probably Nick Stevens has been to this point in draft history.

What is it about pick 6 ?
In Numerology the number 6 is the embodiment of the heart. It represents unconditional love and the ability to support, nurture, and heal. In the Bible 666 is the number of the beast. In statistics there can be outliers (data that deviates by a factor of more than 1.5, which pick 6 does compared to picks 5 and 7). However...

If you don't include first 15 years of the draft (where perhaps not same attention to drafting), the last 25 years or so for pick 6 is pretty much to the norm...

If you don't include first 15 years of the draft (where perhaps not same attention to drafting), the last 25 years or so for pick 6 is pretty much to the norm...
When I look at draft history I personally only start from about mid 1990's like 1994 as it the time the under 19's system is gone and most of the concessions of West Coast, Crows and Bears are gone to leave the draft pool more open to all players in Australia to pick from. Dockers and Port the new clubs in mid 90's still had some concessions but not as crazy good as Eagles to begin with.

A second pick in the 60's this year might be more speculative than leaving room for a mid-season pick next year.
This makes great sense to me.

So... 1 pick in ND, upgrade Kennedy and Honey, LoB and Cotterill on Rookie list, see how things go with Doc etc, and if needed, mid-season draft.

So... 1 pick in ND, upgrade Kennedy and Honey, LoB and Cotterill on Rookie list, see how things go with Doc etc, and if needed, mid-season draft.
Should be noted there is also a de-listed free agency period before the National Draft. Which if did not upgrade both Kennedy and Honey it could mean you get a delisted free agent on primary list and leave one of those guys on rookie list. Probably why not heard them certain upgrades yet as club has to keep options open as need to see what spills out from other clubs as more get delisted.
Example, Pies just de-listed Jay Rantall and Hawks Oliver Hanrahan today.

Delisted Free Agency period
November 11 - November 12

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is also a personal reflection, but I am going through a paradigm shift when it comes to the draft. In the past I have had a hope from as soon as possible after draft day, draftees will debut and contribute. But the situation is different now.

We have a solid and relatively young playing list. We can see something of what the future holds. We don't have to ask players to be ready for AFL from day 1. We are finally developing an excellent development program.

What this means is that this could be an unusual year of taking only 1 new player in the ND. And given it is 25, we could have unrealistic expectations. I will still have expectations of players being held to high standards, but I don't want to have unrealistic expectations...

Yes and have a maximum list number allowed of 42 + 2x Cat B rookies

Currently we have
33 senior list
+ 6 already signed rookies
+ 2 committed to rookies (LOB & Cottrell)
= 41 listed players + 1x Cat B

Leaves us 1x Draft list spot and 1x Cat B rookies available

To get to the required number of
36x Senior list spots
6x Rookie list spots
2x Cat B spots

we will need to

Main Draft
1x Draft and 2x Rookie Upgrades (Kennedy & Honey?)
= 36x Senior list spots

Rookie Draft
Pick 6 - LOB
Pick 25 - Cottrell
= 6x Rookie list spots

1x Cat B
= 2x Cat B spots

AFL rules state (which were posted here a couple of days ago) any LTI spots that need to be filled can only be done, after the rookie draft..
In the Pre season or in MSD

Whatever the AFL rules say, there is always exceptions and exemptions, with what’s happening with Doc, we may be planning on asking the AFL for some leeway.

Whatever the AFL rules say, there is always exceptions and exemptions, with what’s happening with Doc, we may be planning on asking the AFL for some leeway.
Certainly a possibility. Though, given we have already made commitments to LOB & Cotts, if we were planning to take two picks, you'd think we would have sought an exemption from the AFL already. And perhaps we have, just not announced it. Obviously a very sensitive matter, and Doc's welfare needs to be at the top of everyone's concerns.

Yes and have a maximum list number allowed of 42 + 2x Cat B rookies

Currently we have
33 senior list
+ 6 already signed rookies
+ 2 committed to rookies (LOB & Cottrell)
= 41 listed players + 1x Cat B

Leaves us 1x Draft list spot and 1x Cat B rookies available

To get to the required number of
36x Senior list spots
6x Rookie list spots
2x Cat B spots

we will need to

Main Draft
1x Draft and 2x Rookie Upgrades (Kennedy & Honey?)
= 36x Senior list spots

Rookie Draft
Pick 6 - LOB
Pick 25 - Cottrell
= 6x Rookie list spots

1x Cat B
= 2x Cat B spots

AFL rules state (which were posted here a couple of days ago) any LTI spots that need to be filled can only be done, after the rookie draft..
In the Pre season or in MSD

We have 33 on the senior list now and must start next season with a minimum of 36.

2 x ND picks + 1 rookie elevation = 36 on the senior list

We have 6 on the Cat A rookie list currently. 5 when you take into account the elevation mentioned above. This gives us one pick, which will be LOB given we have committed to taking him.

This gives us a 36/6/1 split, and the required 42 on the senior + Cat A rookie list.

There is no reason for us to have delisted Cottrell unless we already know we are moving someone to the LTI/Inactive list. My guess is this will be Doc, and will allow us to take a rookie via the SSP period. This will be Cottrell.

End result:

Senior list: 36 (+1 inactive)
Cat A Rookie list: 7 (6 + 1 SSP)
Cat B Rookie list: 1

Might be only minor but our pick 64 will go out a couple for father sons but will come in by up to 10 picks when Collingwood and bulldogs give up later picks to make up the points when Daicos and Darcy get bidded on. 64 might end up being 56.

The club would be crazy not to consider Ronny FRJ (Ronny Fejo Jnr) with a later pick or if we trade upwards.

Moves like a more flashy, agile and better kicking version of SPS.

Has benefitted from SANFL experience and game time this year also.

Brilliant interview done with Nick Austin on CFC website by CFC media team - re List our management.

Key observations:
- list is pretty much settled with really only 1 more addition via national draft
- Mirkov and Boyd are effectively our rookie selections this year
- very comfortable taking pick 25 to the draft. Feel there’s are large group of kids in the 10-40 range
- targeting a mid-fwd who complements our midfield and uses the ball well
- we’ve been approached by clubs wanting our pick 25. May be willing to downgrade slightly…assume this could happen on draft night if there’s a few kids available
- likely to only use 1 pick and upgrade 2 players (assume this is Honey and Kennedy)
- makes sense why we were indifferent about the pick we received for SPS
- key gaps for us are our defensive effort and ball use all over the field

We have 33 on the senior list now and must start next season with a minimum of 36.

2 x ND picks + 1 rookie elevation = 36 on the senior list

We have 6 on the Cat A rookie list currently. 5 when you take into account the elevation mentioned above. This gives us one pick, which will be LOB given we have committed to taking him.

This gives us a 36/6/1 split, and the required 42 on the senior + Cat A rookie list.

There is no reason for us to have delisted Cottrell unless we already know we are moving someone to the LTI/Inactive list. My guess is this will be Doc, and will allow us to take a rookie via the SSP period. This will be Cottrell.

End result:

Senior list: 36 (+1 inactive)
Cat A Rookie list: 7 (6 + 1 SSP)
Cat B Rookie list: 1

Slight edit to this.

From the Nick Austin interview posted on the CFC website, sounds like we're pretty happy to take just the one pick into this national draft. So that may mean 1 x ND and 2 x upgrades.

Not expecting much from us re: trading picks either, sounds like we're very content picking where we are and more importantly very keen to attack next year's draft.

Slight edit to this.

From the Nick Austin interview posted on the CFC website, sounds like we're pretty happy to take just the one pick into this national draft. So that may mean 1 x ND and 2 x upgrades.

Not expecting much from us re: trading picks either, sounds like we're very content picking where we are and more importantly very keen to attack next year's draft.

What was that I was right :winkv1:

Might be only minor but our pick 64 will go out a couple for father sons but will come in by up to 10 picks when Collingwood and bulldogs give up later picks to make up the points when Daicos and Darcy get bidded on. 64 might end up being 56.
Pick 56 is not a bad pick to have. If we are not using it, maybe we can trade it for a F2... :tonguewink:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back