List Mgmt. Carlton Draft 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Rookie upgrades have not been done via the draft for quite a few years now.
But you still needed to "pass" on two of your draft picks to keep them for the promotion of two rookies as they were regarded as list spots, otherwise you could have traded them both to other clubs, so that`s where it seems different now. I had not seen it done until today (with Port) that you could trade one of your picks that was actually not "live". Why did so many clubs "pass" on their picks in the draft if they are not for rookie spots?

Last edited:
Who does Motlop play like?

For mine he's one of those next generation Cyril Rioli types in that he can punish you even when the stat sheet says he's had 10-12 touches.

Turned effectively a late 3rd round selection into a late future 4th. I still don't understand how we could book out or list before the draft is even run.

Was probably the weakest such trade of all that followed it, and we did it almost a full round before we needed to...
It looks like Austin doesn't have a clue; it's too early to know if our talent identification is up to scratch but our performance in the recruiting equivalent of 1%ers so far has been pathetic. Someone at the club needs to seriously look him in the eye and tell him to buck up.

SOS's Achilles Heel was his addiction for so-called trade 'bargains' and ignored the warning signs that the players were 'damaged goods' in regards to their suitability to playing football at the highest level. This left us bereft of a lot of second-round picks, which would have improved our chances of finding good players, both in a tactical sense and in practice. Austin's seems to be that he doesn't know how to create opportunity. I shudder to think how we are going to 'attack the draft' next year if Austin doesn't know how to make the most of our playing list or draft stocks. Speed and Key Position depth will be our weaknesses going forward and we have chosen to keep so many mediocre at best players on our list 'just in case'. One mid-round selection (hopefully) in the first two rounds next year is hardly 'attacking the draft'.

Last edited:

It looks like Austin doesn't have a clue; it's too early to know if our talent identification is up to scratch but our performance in the recruiting equivalent of 1%ers so far has been pathetic. Someone at the club needs to seriously look him in the eye and tell him to buck up.

SOS's Achilles Heel was his addiction for so-called trade 'bargains' and ignored the warning signs that the players were 'damaged goods' in regards to their suitability to playing football at the highest level. This left us bereft of a lot of second-round picks, which would have improved our chances of finding good layers, both in a tactical sense and in practice. Austin's seems to be that he doesn't know how to create opportunity. I shudder to think how we are going to 'attack the draft' next year if Austin doesn't know how to make the most of our playing list or draft stocks. Speed and Key Position depth will be our weaknesses going forward and we have chosen to keep so many mediocre at best players on our list 'just in case'. One mid-round selection (hopefully) in the first two rounds next year is hardly 'attacking the draft'.

We have a lot of players who are better than they are currently valued at. The idea is to get them firing under the new coaching regime and have them looking to leave to get opportunity. Up until now, they've all been comfortable just being on a list.

But you still needed to "pass" on two of your draft picks to keep them for the promotion of two rookies, as they were regarded as list spots, otherwise you could have traded them both to other clubs, so that`s where it seems different now. I had not seen it done until today (with Port) that you could trade one of your picks that was actually not "live". Why did so many clubs "pass" on their picks in the draft if they are not for rookie spots?
PSS selection spots I reckon. Keeping list spots active in the hope of picking up someone who the other clubs completely missed over the course of the ND and rookie drafts.

AFL really does their best to screw us. How on earth were we not allowed an extra pick after the Jones situation will remain a mystery.

Cook said they were setting the standard for all clubs but it only affected us and we had to essentially hand over a pick for nothing instead of using it on a player.

Those criticising Austin... what exactly is he supposed to do with his hands tied?

We were never going to use the pick.

We traded nothing for something.
What I'm saying is that we put ourselves in an awful bargaining position while making panicky moves. Just not smart.

We have a lot of players who are better than they are currently valued at. The idea is to get them firing under the new coaching regime and have them looking to leave to get opportunity. Up until now, they've all been comfortable just being on a list.
Gord, I hope so. I hope it's not just so we can get them up to a sub-optimal level just for the sake of having someone to play in their respective positions. We are at that 'not quite good enough to fully compete, not quite bad enough to provoke a mini rebuild' stage. It's hard seeing the likes of Hawthorn potentially building a midfield in not much more than a single draft and seeing us struggle on the one-note for years on end. We've really only had 2015 where we've attacked the draft in the right spirit (with a little help from it being such a strong draft, admittedly, and from us being so crap at the time). It's just that I see so many other clubs rolling their sleeves up and getting on with it, whereas we tend to dither about in two minds far too often. We've done very well this year at face value but I question whether we've really addressed where we are at as a club.

Last edited:
Rookie upgrades have not been done via the draft for quite a few years now.

What a disgrace. Takes all of the excitement out of it. Typical AFL once again “sanitising” the game!

But you still needed to "pass" on two of your draft picks to keep them for the promotion of two rookies, as they were regarded as list spots, otherwise you could have traded them both to other clubs, so that`s where it seems different now. I had not seen it done until today (with Port) that you could trade one of your picks that was actually not "live". Why did so many clubs "pass" on their picks in the draft if they are not for rookie spots?
I guess the AFL deem it to still be a live pick until it officially passed on. It is weird way of doing it. They seem to do it a bit different every few seasons. Tonight it looks like they allocated between 10 and 11 pm to upgrade your rookies to primary list but to do it that way, you pass on your "live" pick when it comes around in draft to be seen as part of your three compulsory live picks and then when all picks passed and last pick of a player is taken they then got around to the official bit of upgrades processed but not listed in National Draft. Some other years in past they would list upgrades like they were actual picks in draft.

I think in some seasons this upgrade of rookies to primary list was done before the so called live picks and then your picks in draft just left as the ones you actually selecting new players with. So I think some seasons that was done in afternoon before the new kids drafted but this season it was done later at night after new kids drafted. Who knows how they do it next year , given how often they tinker how they do it.

In any case we always knew tonight only one of the three compulsory picks was to be used for a new kid.
I'm very happy with Jesse Motlop now I heard him speak and see he quite a confident young guy and been doing his own podcasts already.
He seems a bit more mature for his years than a normal kid which probably means he will adapt to senior footy much quicker than a normal kid.
Apparently played in WAFL grand final so I will have to see if Kayo have a replay of that grand final and will aim to look at how he played later this week.

Last edited:
I guess the AFL deem it to still be a live pick until it officially passed on. It is weird way of doing it. They seem to do it a bit different every few seasons. Tonight it looks like they allocated between 10 and 11 pm to upgrade your rookies to primary list but to do it that way, you pass on your "live" pick when it comes around in draft to be seen as part of your three compulsory live picks and then when all picks passed and last pick of a player is taken they then got around to the official bit of upgrades processed but not listed in National Draft. Some other years in past they would list then like they were actual picks in draft.

I think in some seasons this upgrade of rookies to primary list was done before the so called live picks and then your picks in draft just left as the ones you actually selecting new players with. So I think some seasons that was done in afternoon before the new kids drafted but this season it was done later at night after new kids drafted. Who knows how they do it next year , given how often they tinker how they do it.

In any case we always knew tonight only one of the three compulsory picks was to be used for a new kid.
I'm very happy with Jesse Motlop now I heard him speak and see he quite a confident young guy and been doing his own podcasts already.
He seems a bit more mature for his years than a normal kid which probably means he will adapt to senior footy much quicker than a normal kid.
Apparently played in WAFL grand final so I will have to see if Kayo have a replay of that grand final and will aim to look at how he played later this week.
His team South Fremantle got a caning in the G.F. by Subiaco, so don`t expect too much.

But you still needed to "pass" on two of your draft picks to keep them for the promotion of two rookies as they were regarded as list spots, otherwise you could have traded them both to other clubs, so that`s where it seems different now. I had not seen it done until today (with Port) that you could trade one of your picks that was actually not "live". Why did so many clubs "pass" on their picks in the draft if they are not for rookie spots?
No, this isn’t right.
We had 3 live picks after we nominated our 2 rookie upgrades (which haven’t required draft picks for a few years). The difference is that we opted to go with a 36/6 split, rather than 38/4 which we are entitled to. That’s why we had to pass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess the AFL deem it to still be a live pick until it officially passed on. It is weird way of doing it. They seem to do it a bit different every few seasons. Tonight it looks like they allocated between 10 and 11 pm to upgrade your rookies to primary list but to do it that way, you pass on your "live" pick when it comes around in draft to be seen as part of your three compulsory live picks and then when all picks passed and last pick of a player is taken they then got around to the official bit of upgrades processed but not listed in National Draft. Some other years in past they would list upgrades like they were actual picks in draft.

Motlop did well in a losing grand final against men, a good sign

Motlop did well in a losing grand final against men, a good sign
Yeah, found the game on youtube. Not got time to watch it now but sometime in next few days will have a good look.
Even without watching him yet, I already feel he ahead of most of Eastern seaboard kids of same age simply because he played three or four times as much footy in last two years and later in this season against senior men. That will fast track his development for sure. Seeing he also outgoing and got his own podcast also tells me he is a self motivated person. Ticking a lot of boxes already for me for a pick out of first round of a tricky draft pool.

For anyone else wanting to check out the grand final against senior bodies here is where to find it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back