List Mgmt. Carlton Draft 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

We should be finally entering our finals window in 2022. I'd be really keen on a good, ready to go KPD next year. Unless young Lewie is that player?
We have to balance things out, though. We are still roughly 7-9 players short of a proven best twenty-two that can compete with the best of them. A lot depends on the Likes of Charlie, Kemp, Young, Carroll, Motlop, and maybe Philp, etc, all coming good. Even then I'm not sure if we have the right mix. That still leaves one to three players still to find, before you even factor in injuries. At the moment our outside game is incredibly open to being exploited and even then we are not going to beat Melbourne's midfield. I'd put my money on us being more than just a key backman away from a premiership threat.

It has been in the past I meant. Players like Dow, Kennedy, Hewitt are nothing type players and similar/inferior to Crouch, Jones, Clarke etc. We will now hopefully have Walsh, Cripps and Cerra to take us to the next level. They don’t have that. They do have some really nice peripheral type players in Billings, Gresham, Hill that we really lack though. On paper they look very solid but just lack the star support for Steele in the middle. If you swap Petracca from Melbourne to St Kilda and I think I’d take St Kilda’s list.

Gee you're under rating George Hewett.

Billings, Gresham and Hill - meh.

Gresham had one brief purple patch.

Hill a shadow of his former self.

Bilings? Meh.

We have to balance things out, though. We are still roughly 7-9 players short of a proven best twenty-two that can compete with the best of them. A lot depends on the Likes of Charlie, Kemp, Young, Carroll, Motlop, and maybe Philp, etc, all coming good. Even then I'm not sure if we have the right mix. That still leaves one to three players still to find, before you even factor in injuries. At the moment our outside game is incredibly open to being exploited and even then we are not going to beat Melbourne's midfield. I'd put my money on us being more than just a key backman away from a premiership threat.

I reckon you'll find our 'new' bottom 6 (in our best 22) stacks up very well with the Dees' bottom 6 players.

One injury to Gawn and the Dees are barely a top 8 side.

We will be a completely different team in 2022.

And a much better one.

Gee you're under rating George Hewett.

Billings, Gresham and Hill - meh.

Gresham had one brief purple patch.

Hill a shadow of his former self.

Bilings? Meh.
Totally agree about Hewett, as he is a real honest player that gives everything for his team and thrives on beating his opponent. In my opinion he was the Swans best in their 1 point loss to GWS in the elimination final this year, and busted a gut trying to get his team across the line!!! No frills at all but he is a junk yard dog type!!! I wouldn`t mind Gresham at Carlton as I think he has been held back by injury, but has some real pace and talent in my book.

To win the flag, you need the injury gods on your side and a bit of good fortune to build up confidence. I believe we would have played finals this year with a less injured list.

I reckon you'll find our 'new' bottom 6 (in our best 22) stacks up very well with the Dees' bottom 6 players.

And a much better one.
I would suggest you are underestimating Melbourne greatly, they have Jackson as a back up to Gawn who was instrumental in turning the Grand final.
They have two absolute A grade mid-fielders, they are in good shape for ongoing success.

I would suggest you are underestimating Melbourne greatly, they have Jackson as a back up to Gawn who was instrumental in turning the Grand final.
They have two absolute A grade mid-fielders, they are in good shape for ongoing success.
Agree.

Melbourne was the stand out team in 2021 with a lot of growth still to come. 8 of their grand final side was 22 or younger. After that it's mainly players in the age bracket from 24-27 with just a couple high 20s. So they should improve over the next few years at least before we see a decline in the likes of Gawn, May, Brown and McDonald.

If I were a betting man, I'd be all in expecting them to finish top 4 at least for the next 4 season and anything less than another 2 premierships in that time may be considered a wasted opportunity.

Injuries play a big part and from what I recall, Melbourne did ok throughout the year so that was on their side also, especially come finals time and May did well to play grand final day.

And a much better one.
Problem is our top 6 is well behind the output of the Demons top 6 on a regular basis.

I am not underestimating them, I'm just being a realist.

I'm not downplaying the ability of Petracca, Oliver, Lever, May, Fritsch (sp) etc. but Gawn is their lynch pin.

Jackson had a good GF, no question, but he's a 21yo, undersized ruck (198cm?) - as talented as he is.

They have plenty of average players in that 22.

Problem is our top 6 is well behind the output of the Demons top 6 on a regular basis.

Again, we have just added Cerra and Hewett to our top 6 - 10.

Noting Cripps needs to rediscover his mojo.

Our midfield will be an entirely different beast come Rd 1 2022.

Weitering is better than May imo (& May will be 30 early next year), I guess Marchy would be our Lever type (if on the park).

Our forward line is potentially way better than theirs.

And yes, we need to play better, more consistent footy - a big part of why we now have a brand new Coach!

Last edited:
I’m going to have a crack at predicting our new and changes to jumper numbers this year:

3 - Fisher (hand over from Murph)
5 - Cerra (keeps his same no.)
14 - Hewett
19 - Motlop (Hanover from Eddie + Locker next to Walsh to keep him under his wing)
* I could also see Martin asking for 19. In that case I think Motlop gets 33.
25 - Young (keeps most of our taller defenders close together)
Akuei - 41

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m going to have a crack at predicting our new and changes to jumper numbers this year:

3 - Fisher (hand over from Murph)
5 - Cerra (keeps his same no.)
14 - Hewett
19 - Motlop (Hanover from Eddie + Locker next to Walsh to keep him under his wing)
* I could also see Martin asking for 19. In that case I think Motlop gets 33.
25 - Young (keeps most of our taller defenders close together)
Akuei - 41
Young wore number 2 at the dogs, I expect he will take number 3 and doubt Fisher will move up

I hope so, but let's wait and see. I'm pretty sure people were saying the same things about Williams and Saad last year. Things didn't turn out so well.
True.

But those 4 players we all know are extremely good players.

For whatever reason/s last year, things didn't go to plan. I expect we will see many of our players back to their best in 2022

I am not underestimating them, I'm just being a realist.

I'm not downplaying the ability of Petracca, Oliver, Lever, May, Fritsch (sp) etc. but Gawn is their lynch pin.

Jackson had a good GF, no question, but he's a 21yo, undersized ruck (198cm?) - as talented as he is.

They have plenty of average players in that 22.

having an opinion on a club that would be against most others opinions, isn’t being a realist, it’s just having a different opinion.

Max Gawn is the best ruck in the league no doubt, but go back over the rucks for the last 10 premierships, they are all serviceable players with very few standouts, losing Gawn wouldn’t cause the Dees much grief.

View attachment 1289330

I understand that the pandemic has affected jobs across almost every industry, but I had no idea that Hewett's hairdresser was so hard hit he had to leave the industry to find other job!

Although if he hasn't, then perhaps he should....
Don't all Victorians look like this during the covid barber shortage?

1638157763273.png

Does anyone know when clubs usually invite undrafted players to train to take a closer look at them for the SSP? I really hope there are a few gems amongst those KPP from VIC who were overlooked due to lack of exposure over the last 2 seasons.

Does anyone know when clubs usually invite undrafted players to train to take a closer look at them for the SSP? I really hope there are a few gems amongst those KPP from VIC who were overlooked due to lack of exposure over the last 2 seasons.
Allowed to start from 1st December. A couple of names have been mentioned for other clubs.
So the inviting would have started straight after the drafts

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back