News Carlton Football Club: Debt free and record membership.

Remove this Banner Ad

i didn’t want to turn my point into a discussion on the particulars of getting a Carlton membership, I merely wanted to point out that a sizeable percentage of the “record breaking membership” are not from newly purchased memberships. I think a more accurate assessment is the revenue from membership numbers and that goes for all clubs.

Although I am not a fan of CFC, and the “Tragic club” comment from a past President can still rancour, a sizeable dose of Schadenfude has caught up with CFC since then. I do agree a strong Carlton is good for the competition and think a lot of work has gone into turning the club around from decent Carlton folk.

I also think Carlton supporters are a lot more likeable these days, as a club like Hawthorn with no success prior to 1961 has become a powerhouse and a foundation club like Carlton had to beg the AFL to bail them out and pay their staff. No club is safe, the old days of brown paper bags and arrogance is outdated, success can swiftly change to failure.
We were given a significantly larger penalty than any other club for doing the same thing as every other club. Guys like Don Scott have admitted that every club was making cash payments outside the cap for years. No one else got a fine in the millions and stripped of the capacity to build a list. Case of taking with one hand and shaking with the other from the AFL.

We then screwed up the draft and free agency for years and compounded the issue with our own futility. Finally got it right and we are being bashed with brown paper bags again. Jeez.

We were given a significantly larger penalty than any other club for doing the same thing as every other club. Guys like Don Scott have admitted that every club was making cash payments outside the cap for years. No one else got a fine in the millions and stripped of the capacity to build a list. Case of taking with one hand and shaking with the other from the AFL.

We then screwed up the draft and free agency for years and compounded the issue with our own futility. Finally got it right and we are being bashed with brown paper bags again. Jeez.

Sorry no, not intending to bash Carlton at all just putting some grounding comments that is all.

However because other ‘rich’ clubs were doing it doesn’t make it right, poor clubs back then like the dogs were losing players to the brown paper bags. You also won the 1995 premiership over the salary cap, Whereas Storm were stripped of their premiership, so it wasn’t a complete punishment.

Last edited:

Sorry no, not intending to bash Carlton at all just putting some grounding comments that is all.

However because other ‘rich’ clubs were doing it doesn’t make it right, poor clubs back then like the dogs were losing players to the brown paper bags. You also won the 1985 premiership over the salary cap, Whereas Storm were stripped of their premiership, so it wasn’t a complete punishment.
The salary cap didn't exist in 1985, and in that year we didn't win the premiership.

However because other ‘rich’ clubs were doing it doesn’t make it right, poor clubs back then like the dogs were losing players to the brown paper bags. You also won the 1985 premiership over the salary cap, Whereas Storm were stripped of their premiership, so it wasn’t a complete punishment.
There were certainly some struggles back then. Some of the Fitzroy stories are the stuff of legend. I’m sure you guys have a similar history. 85 premiership was Essendon. Think you mean 95? Semantics though.

Good on Carlton! that’s always good news+ it was getting boring beating you guys, and as much as I loved it, it was losing its shine and wasn’t fun anymore. at least now with some offfield success Carlton can get going on field and we can have some epic battles in front of huge crowds.

If you mean 1995, can you show some proof of that?

The only club to be found guilty of being over the salary cap in a premiership year is Essendon.

Carlton have become everyone's second favourite club, with most people I know hoping we do well this year. Kind of like what Richmond used to be pre-2017 when they were still likeable
Haha, shut up re......you know we are going to have even more fans jumping on the tigers train.
whats not to like? Great club, huge supporter base, winning formula, Dusty, massive crowds, premiership successes, best song ever......oh and them supporters? you know the ones! 😁

Haha, shut up re......you know we are going to have even more fans jumping on the tigers train.
whats not to like? Great club, huge supporter base, winning formula, Dusty, massive crowds, premiership successes, best song ever......oh and them supporters? you know the ones! 😁

How did this suddenly become about Richmond? Seriously do you wake up every day fearful that it was all a dream and the old Richmond is still here, do you have to reassure yourself by big noting yourself. You just come across as insecure. I don‘t hate Richmond, I look at you fondly the nerdy kid next door that did good. You still need to wipe out 30 years of tryp before you deserve to be hated.

If you mean 1995, can you show some proof of that?

The only club to be found guilty of being over the salary cap in a premiership year is Essendon.
It's really annoying how people persist with this nonsense to try to invalidate one of the best performed seasons of all time. They get asked for proof and they shut up real quick. No news articles, no media statements or reports, no nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stay on topic please, this thread isn’t about Carltons salary cap in the 90’s. Ta.
I respectfully disagree given that historic salary cap breaches are one of the most significant reasons why we were relegated into significant debt. Fines put us back, loss of draft picks lead to a lack of competitiveness which lead to decreased revenue. We dug ourselves out of a deep, dark hole that can be directly attributed to salary cap breaches as a significant factor.

I respectfully disagree given that historic salary cap breaches are one of the most significant reasons why we were relegated into significant debt. Fines put us back, loss of draft picks lead to a lack of competitiveness which lead to decreased revenue. We dug ourselves out of a deep, dark hole that can be directly attributed to salary cap breaches as a significant factor.
No problem at all if in context and part of a reasonable discussion, but not trolling which some of the posts have been.

I feel like you should just post on the Essendon board. Us Carlton supporters have gotten inside your head, and we're living rent free in there!

I enjoy talking football. Unfortunately the majority of threads on the main board end up becoming pot shot central or a dick measuring contest.

I mean, a BigFooty overlord is allowed to start a thread more beftting to the bay and run with it. What sort of example is that setting?

Anyways, Carlton?! It is coming together for them. A few teams to catch up and overtake but the trajectory is moving in the right direction.

Is Harry McKay Carlton’s most important player this year? He probably needs to go fro a 1.5 goal a game forward to a 2.2 (50ish) goal a year forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got it right and we are being bashed with brown paper bags again. Jeez.
Mark Zanotti brown paper bag to play for Fitzroy one of a zillion of such things going on in early 1990's as examples you hear of.
The salary cap was not taken seriously until the late 1990's. Some people like our stupid president at the time essentially thought it a league gimmick that would go away after a decade or two. He was very wrong and we all pay for his stupidity and arrogance.

This has nothing to do with this thread mate, doesn't matter where you get the link from. Tell us how we're going off field and on now.

As I stated, I replied to another Carlton posters post. Maybe you’d like to reply to all the other, including Carlton supporters post on the same.

But it’s good to see Carlton’s improvement on and off the field. It makes it better for the competition as a whole
Its healthy for the competition to have all clubs strong and especially to have traditional rivals at the top of their game.
Better crowds, Tv viewing and more income for the clubs to not only survive but thrive.

Carlton have become everyone's second favourite club, with most people I know hoping we do well this year. Kind of like what Richmond used to be pre-2017 when they were still likeable

and if Carlton ever experiences similar success as Richmond did/has since 2017, I hope the supporters don’t turn into arrogant flogs alongside with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back