Rumour Carlton have the hots for Buckley

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
When did it become 950k pa, and how much could the Pies actually afford to load up this year?

Genuine questions, those 2 points are quite different to everything I had heard up until now.
The reason he was traded was because his contract was going to be $950k pa for the next 5 yrs. His contract had been re-negotiated and backended to fit in Beams etc.
So he was traded to the Doggies who will pay him the $650k pa over the next 5 yrs, while the Pies wear the $300k pa.
The Pies asked the question of Merret, but it didn't work out. I believe we have little salary cap in 2021 as the Pies had the opportunity to then pay a good portion of the $300k pa in 2021, so 2022 should provide more cap space.

May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Carlton, Tennessee Titans
The reason he was traded was because his contract was going to be $950k pa for the next 5 yrs. His contract had been re-negotiated and backended to fit in Beams etc.
So he was traded to the Doggies who will pay him the $650k pa over the next 5 yrs, while the Pies wear the $300k pa.
Yeah I knew about the backending etc, but I had always heard 900kpa over 5, rather than 950k.

And given the fire sale at the end of last year, how could Pies afford to load up on it this year? Surely if they could afford to do that then they wouldn't have needed to get rid of the guys they did for the return they got, even just holding out for one extra year would have given them much more leverage and time to set up better trades.

Chairman Zia

All Australian
Jul 22, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Isnt Ratten coaching again?

but I do agree with a previous poster who said “why would you go to Carlton” they have an unbelievable record of eating their own

They still have a very old italian family business vibe in that they see the coach is someone outside of the family. When you get an outsider, he is supposed to solve all the problems, when the outsider (coach) isn't flying then it must be him doing something wrong. Of course the culture isn't the problem, lol. This external review, i am not too sure how effective it will given the existing culture. It will probably be turned into a half assed s**t show that will ultimately result in a media frenzy achieving nothing.

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah I knew about the backending etc, but I had always heard 900kpa over 5, rather than 950k.

And given the fire sale at the end of last year, how could Pies afford to load up on it this year? Surely if they could afford to do that then they wouldn't have needed to get rid of the guys they did for the return they got, even just holding out for one extra year would have given them much more leverage and time to set up better trades.
I believe they approached Merrett and interested in Gunsten expecting to get one of them. Obviously didn't work out and were already committed to get rid of the others. 3 players in Stephensen at $500k, with Phillips (who was on incredible money) and Treloar saved a few $$. I understand there were issues with Stephensen who had ben warned during the season. Only North were interested and prepared to take his contract. We paid some of Phillips for this year, and Treloar's contribution was more than they expected to pay at $300k pa. Changes needed to be made knowing that the list wasn't going to contend after getting killed by Geelong in the second semi. Treloar getting older on a very big contract would have hamstrung us, and Beams hurt etc etc. Pressure on the cap with these players and we needed to bring in new kids to develop and start the re-build. Pendles and Sidey would only have another year or 2 max. No use pretending. Pendles is on a year by year contract. Went from $1m to $750k. Hopefully it comes down to $500k in 2022.

The Pies asked the question of Merret, but it didn't work out. I believe we have little salary cap in 2021 as the Pies had the opportunity to then pay a good portion of the $300k pa in 2021, so 2022 should provide more cap space.
$900k over five years, of which Pies are chipping in $300k pa.
Our best football this year has been with Treloar in the side and he is aiming for a round 21 return.

Pretty handy to be in top spot and have Dunkley & Treloar ready to come back in for the finals race

May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Carlton, Tennessee Titans
I believe they approached Merrett and interested in Gunsten expecting to get one of them. Obviously didn't work out and were already committed to get rid of the others. 3 players in Stephensen at $500k, with Phillips (who was on incredible money) and Treloar saved a few $$. I understand there were issues with Stephensen who had ben warned during the season. Only North were interested and prepared to take his contract. We paid some of Phillips for this year, and Treloar's contribution was more than they expected to pay at $300k pa. Changes needed to be made knowing that the list wasn't going to contend after getting killed by Geelong in the second semi. Treloar getting older on a very big contract would have hamstrung us, and Beams hurt etc etc. Pressure on the cap with these players and we needed to bring in new kids to develop and start the re-build. Pendles and Sidey would only have another year or 2 max. No use pretending. Pendles is on a year by year contract. Went from $1m to $750k. Hopefully it comes down to $500k in 2022.
Interesting. Thanks for clarifying for me.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hear me out here, If I'm a prospective coach carlton would actually be pretty attractive.

Their list is way better than their performance. A fully fit Cripps, docherty and curnow changes things dramatically plus another season into the kids. They have the likely Coleman medallist too.

Come in, change some game plans and cultural aspects. Make finals first year and look like a superstar?

Am I missing something?
I agree. No certainty that they’ll turn things around quickly. But the talent is there for the right coach. If I’m Carlton I’m looking at Ross Lyon. As Judd said maybe someone not needing training wheels. He copped it over that comment but turns out he was spot on.

kittypurry

Senior List
Oct 2, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
I think he’s pretty happy with his new missus to be worrying about too much
Not sure a face full of botox and a mid-life crisis missus makes up for the fact he spent thirty years trying to win a flag and could never do it. It doesn't really matter how many paparazzi he calls to snap his showmance for the Daily Mail, he failed as a footballer and as a coach. I doubt his ego can handle that imo.

Buckley will coach any team who will have him. Hopefully Carlton note his part in Collingwood's systemic racism and the way he knifed Treloar in the back and stay far away. Given that Treloar is now giving interviews tearing up about how his mental health suffered during the fire sale I don't see any club risking Buckley any time soon.

Prince27

Debutant
Aug 9, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure a face full of botox and a mid-life crisis missus makes up for the fact he spent thirty years trying to win a flag and could never do it. It doesn't really matter how many paparazzi he calls to snap his showmance for the Daily Mail, he failed as a footballer and as a coach. I doubt his ego can handle that imo.

Buckley will coach any team who will have him. Hopefully Carlton note his part in Collingwood's systemic racism and the way he knifed Treloar in the back and stay far away. Given that Treloar is now giving interviews tearing up about how his mental health suffered during the fire sale I don't see any club risking Buckley any time soon.

Chris Scott coaches your side.

Glass Houses my friend.

Coaching changes by all teams over the past 20 years, excluding GWS and GCS.

Essendon - 7
Melbourne - 6
Adelaide -6
Fremantle - 6
St. Kilda - 6
Carlton - 6
Western Bulldogs - 5
North - 5
Brisbane -4
Richmond - 3
Port - 3
Sydney - 3
West Coast - 3
Geelong - 2
Hawthorn - 2
Collingwood -2

Kinda puts the lie to the old where coaches go to die meme to rest - but then again I guess people would have to know how to read and count as well as a 6 year old big ask for BF.

What?

Its where coaching careers go to die for the last 30 years. Pagan, Malthouse, Bolton, Teague, Ratten, Brittain.

Ratten’ s Coaching career didn’t die at Carlton?

But yeah, he’s the exception rather than the rule

same as Bolton's?
He's got 1 year left of a contract that won't be renewed.

If Carlton sign Clarkson and we get the $900k payout taken care of, Bolton is probably then cut also.

Not sure any other clubs will take him, unless Clarkson signs him up again wherever he coaches next.

He's got 1 year left of a contract that won't be renewed.

If Carlton sign Clarkson and we get the $900k payout taken care of, Bolton is probably then cut also.

Not sure any other clubs will take him, unless Clarkson signs him up again wherever he coaches next.
So Hawforn is where coaches go to die - right?

Back