Carlton - How did they get to here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anger? You again with the mind-reading. I'm just really sure he's not worth an avatar!

As for plan B, or the lack thereof, it's simply what I've been able to glean from the Carlton boards. Quite the split opinion. Interestingly the Sunnies seem very unified. Huh, who woulda thought?

Plan B seems to be get him for free. Not a bad plan if it comes off.

Anger? You again with the mind-reading. I'm just really sure he's not worth an avatar!

As for plan B, or the lack thereof, it's simply what I've been able to glean from the Carlton boards. Quite the split opinion. Interestingly the Sunnies seem very unified. Huh, who woulda thought?

It was a question, not mind-reading. Yet another question you haven't answered.

Difference in viewpoint. GCS are unified as he was always gone to them. Now they are loll'ing each other as they made in much harder for Martin to exit your club. Your club sure showed Martin who's boss! Congrats!

Our board is obviously initially shocked by what happened, but as SOS and Martin's manager this morning have both stated, this was a potential situation they expected and prepared for. Off to the draft he goes.

It was a question, not mind-reading. Yet another question you haven't answered.
I'm not exactly sure why I'd answer a question based entirely on a false assumption about my emotional state (ie mind-reading). But if you need me to be more blunt, I'm not angry just trying to put out some sort of online record as to the true nature of SOS's limitations.

When you chase an uncontracted player during the year that is worth a second round pick, you expect to pay a second round pick.
Debatable. He was clearly worth a first to GC. Clubs should not waltz into trade period simply expecting to pay how much they think the player is worth, since clubs can have very different valuations. Carlton knew this when they made him an offer.

Melbourne also would consider Martin too.

Depends on the price he puts on his head.

And I wouldn’t rule out some pretty serious conversations being had with the Demons if he remains keen on joining Carlton, which seems to be the case.

Also, may go into the national draft...

Maybe, not sure why though.

If he still wants to get to Carlton why would he deliberately make that outcome less likely?

Debatable. He was clearly worth a first to GC. Clubs should not waltz into trade period simply expecting to pay how much they think the player is worth, since clubs can have very different valuations. Carlton knew this when they made him an offer.

My point was his worth to GC only shot up after the ridiculous concessions. Any other trade period that deal gets done. Obviously we didn’t have a plan for the off chance GC would get gifted 4 first rounders (who would?). We were right to walk away at that asking price.

He was clearly worth a first to GC.
Everyone knows Martin isn't worth a first, including GC. They were just puffing their chest out and strutting around because the AFL gave them such a ridiculous care package that the outcome hardly mattered to them.

GC is like that rich kid who blows all his money and crashes his expensive cars and thinks he's cool, but everyone else thinks he's just a screw up who is lucky he has Daddy's money to constantly bail him out.

Melbourne also would consider Martin too.

The 22 currently listed Melbourne players with contracts expiring next year, and their managers, would certainly be considering things as well if Melbourne chose to pay $800-$1mil to someone who 1. Doesn't want to go to the club 2. Declares they'll only stay 1 year if drafted.

Should have just done the deal once Papley was off the table.

When a player nominates your club you have to get the deal done if Carlton had to add in a 2020 2nd round then so be it.

Why should we overpay when we are in a strong position to get him for nothing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends on the price he puts on his head.

And I wouldn’t rule out some pretty serious conversations being had with the Demons if he remains keen on joining Carlton, which seems to be the case.

Maybe, not sure why though.

If he still wants to get to Carlton why would he deliberately make that outcome less likely?
Teams are not going to care that a talent wants to go to Carlton.

GC still in the box seat to get a new deal done as they have pick #1 & then you SOS gets a 2nd crack at trading next year.

We have sent a message that clubs will not pay overs for GCS uncontracted players simply because they have a plethora of AFL granted first round picks. Those picks will run out. What then? They'll have players wanting to leave in future.

I hope other bottom tier clubs just walk their targets to the PSD and cut GCS out of the transaction. Seems far easier and benefits everyone (except GCS).

Obviously doesn't matter now but it can be off putting for potential recruits to join Carlton worried they might not get to the club.

Such as Essendon's endeavours to land Martin in 2018? How did that work out for you? Why couldn't Dodoro get that deal over the line?

Teams are not going to care that a talent wants to go to Carlton.

GC still in the box seat to get a new deal done as they have pick #1 & then you SOS gets a 2nd crack at trading next year.

His manager has said he will not go back to the Suns. We can lock that in. It will not happen.

Unlike fans on an internet forum, teams do have plenty to consider, including the welfare of these players. There is a significant human element which is often ignored.

If Martin and his management make it clear he doesn’t want to play for Melbourne, they will not select him.

Obviously doesn't matter now but it can be off putting for potential recruits to join Carlton worried they might not get to the club.

It can, but doubtful in this instance.

Papley’s manager has praised Carlton and said they did everything properly.

Martin’s manager has today reiterated Jack’s desire to get to the club. They knew all along it might be via the PSD.

I don’t think any potential recruit would have been put off by what happened, regardless of what some overly emotive fans say on here.

Correct. And if GC aren't right up against the cap, I'm sure they can pay it.
Sure. I guess there's no limit to the amount of money they could blow on someone who'll never play for them. I wonder if their bank thinks the same.

His manager has said he will not go back to the Suns. We can lock that in. It will not happen.

Unlike fans on an internet forum, teams do have plenty to consider, including the welfare of these players. There is a significant human element which is often ignored.

If Martin and his management make it clear he doesn’t want to play for Melbourne, they will not select him.
We will see in due course.

GC may want to make a statement that their talent can't walk for nothing & are in a position to.

We will see in due course.

GC may want to make a statement that their talent can't walk for nothing & are in a position to.

I just cannot believe people genuinely think this is a possibility.

Melbourne I can see happening.

GC? Forget it. He wants out and has done for two years in a row now. He is not going back.

The AFLPA would have a field day.

I just cannot believe people genuinely think this is a possibility.

Melbourne I can see happening.

GC? Forget it. He wants out and has done for two years in a row now. He is not going back.

The AFLPA would have a field day?
Why would the AFLPA have a field day.

Players often don't get where they want.

Are they going to complain about Papley & Daniher too?

Why would the AFLPA have a field day.

Come on Kane.

Why would they care about blatant mistreatment of one of their members?

Geez I wonder...

Are they going to complain about Papley & Daniher too?

They are clearly very different circumstances. Both are contracted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back