Roast Carlton in no man's land

Remove this Banner Ad

They barely scraped over the line against Gold Coast who had nothing to play for.

Gold Coast's matches at home since Dew was sacked:

Defeated Brisbane by 41
Defeated Geelong by 11
Defeated St Kilda by 26

9 wins in a row. Mostly pretty, this one wasn't but coming off a brusing high last week, to have a poor match, in these circumstances, suggest we are at least heading to the exit of No Mans Land

Take the win and get the hell out of there. Get some decent players back next week as well.
Can't say I'm too disappointed with today's result.
How did Geelong go against the Suns up there ? Oh wait.....
We won the flag last year with the oldest side in history.
Our drop off this year is hardly a surprise as we go through a mini rebuild.

Carlton on the other are primed to strike now.
They should be winning these sorts of games comfortably.

Gold Coast's matches at home since Dew was sacked:

Defeated Brisbane by 41
Defeated Geelong by 11
Defeated St Kilda by 26

9 wins in a row. Mostly pretty, this one wasn't but coming off a brusing high last week, to have a poor match, in these circumstances, suggest we are at least heading to the exit of No Mans Land
"Defeated Geelong by 11"
I think you've confused Brisbane and Gold Coast.
Brisbane defeated us by 11 points at the Gabba the other week.
We played Gold Coast way back in round 3.

"Defeated Geelong by 11"

You are correct, i misread the fixture.

But even going back further you get:
  • lost to Collingwood by a lot (coach killerl
  • beat Hawthorn by 67
  • beqt Adelaide by 26
  • beat Bulldogs by 7
  • lost to Melbourne by 5
  • beat North by 43
  • beat Geelong by 15

Including today, they are 7-3 in their last 10 at home, with losses to 1, 4 and 5 on the ladder and wins vs everyone else. Two of the losses were by less than a goal and they sacked their coach the week after the other.

Point is it is a decent win with half the midfield missing, coming off a very slow start and sore after a bruising game last week.

"Defeated Geelong by 11"
I live in Geelong, have met many of the players on multiple occasions and even have a second membership with Geelong and attend every game at Kardinia (AFL and AFLW) I can get to.
You are the first Geelong supporter I’ve ever come across on here or in real life that is the complete opposite of everything that’s made Geelong a modern powerhouse and so well respected.
Respect, balance, maturity, commitment, professionalism.
Genuinely ashamed of you.

I live in Geelong, have met many of the players on multiple occasions and even have a second membership with Geelong and attend every game at Kardinia (AFL and AFLW) I can get to.
You are the first Geelong supporter I’ve ever come across on here or in real life that is the complete opposite of everything that’s made Geelong a modern powerhouse and so well respected.
Respect, balance, maturity, commitment, professionalism.
Genuinely ashamed of you.
How do you get that from that post? Hahaha wtf

You are correct, i misread the fixture.

But even going back further you get:
  • lost to Collingwood by a lot (coach killerl
  • beat Hawthorn by 67
  • beqt Adelaide by 26
  • beat Bulldogs by 7
  • lost to Melbourne by 5
  • beat North by 43
  • beat Geelong by 15

Including today, they are 7-3 in their last 10 at home, with losses to 1, 4 and 5 on the ladder and wins vs everyone else. Two of the losses were by less than a goal and they sacked their coach the week after the other.

Point is it is a decent win with half the midfield missing, coming off a very slow start and sore after a bruising game last week.
Do you think Carlton are a good shot at beating Brisbane at the Gabba next week?
Last time Carlton beat Brisbane at the Gabba was 2013, ironically Voss was coaching Brisbane at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think Carlton are a good shot at beating Brisbane at the Gabba next week?
Last time Carlton beat Brisbane at the Gabba was 2013, ironically Voss was coaching Brisbane at the time.
Considering no team in the league has beaten them all season at home it will be a monumental effort to roll them.

We are a chance if everything goes right and we play our best footy but the Lions deserve to be heavy favourites and they have been great all year.

I think Carlton are as good a shot as anyone in the finals (which is to say, heavy underdogs).

We're playing a bruising, defensive style that takes a lot of beating. Brisbane, like Melbourne, stand up to contested footy well and play their home ground well but I think we'll be more competitive than, say, Port were. With McKay and Martin back I think we can score enough, but will need to take our chances and have some things go our way.

Strangely, I think it will be good to go on the road after two big wins in front of 95,000 at home. The players froze up a bit under the lights at the start against Melbourne and took a while to settle, and even then the moment got to a few.

They're the only top team we haven't beaten this year. Would be a great time to do it, but a near impossible task.
Going to have a lot of sore players after the Dees game.
Cripps and Acres have been playing sore for weeks. Now Cripps with a possible broken nose. Doc with his dislocated shoulder. Weitering with his hit to the neck (although seemed fine for the rest of the game).

I think whoever wins the Lions and Blues clash goes on to win the flag. Brisbane has long been a team we've matched up poorly against and I think a fair few of the boys are going to incredibly sore after last night, if we pull it off it I'd be amazed and elated.

They're the only top team we haven't beaten this year. Would be a great time to do it, but a near impossible task.
Going to have a lot of sore players after the Dees game.
Cripps and Acres have been playing sore for weeks. Now Cripps with a possible broken nose. Doc with his dislocated shoulder. Weitering with his hit to the neck (although seemed fine for the rest of the game).
Cripps will be fine. Nose is nothing. His ribs would improving week by week. Weitering and Voss have said it was a temporary breathing issue.
Doc and Acres are the injured ones. But Hollands, Harry, Dow and Martin all ready to go.

Cripps will be fine. Nose is nothing. His ribs would improving week by week. Weitering and Voss have said it was a temporary breathing issue.
Doc and Acres are the injured ones. But Hollands, Harry, Dow and Martin all ready to go.
I have no doubt that Cripps and Weiters play.
I'd put money on Doc playing and being fine.
Acres is my only question mark. Wouldn't be surprised if he plays again, but has been in agony for weeks.
My comments are more about how many guys are playing sore and barely hanging on. At some point that will catch up with us against a more rested side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back