Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 2 (cont. in Part 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend, you are what the Labor Party call ....a true believer. Good on you, but you are spot on. Then you can add the jumpers and all of the paranafalia that kids demand.

I look back to my days when I never missed a game in 10 years, and it was so much better. Cold pies or burning hot pies with questionable use by dates, soggy chips, at stadiums that should have been condemned (Vic Park,Linton St, Western Oval, Windy Hill). The cold wintery days with zero comfort, and standing in the outer for 8 hours, colorful adjectives from ladies who should have known better, but the camaraderie was unbelievable. The Blue Army was second to none.
Back in those days you also got to see multiple games without leaving your seat. Harder for fans to connect to the kids if you don’t get to see them play unless you can get to different grounds on different days.

Back in those days you also got to see multiple games without leaving your seat. Harder for fans to connect to the kids if you don’t get to see them play unless you can get to different grounds on different days.
Absolutely spot on. Many of us knew the ressie players just as well as the seniors. I don't understand why the AFL just does not bite the bullett and let the VFL play as a curtain raiser. Big difference playing at Cramer Street versus playing at the G. They get bugger all people to their games.

It is called budgetary restraint. A day at the footy with three kids, is a bloody expensive day! Unfortunately Gil and his AFL Board are sitting in the Corporate box drinking Moet and counting their money.
What we need is a members only food van at every game where prices are 30% cheaper than those inside.

It would only need to break even.

Might make it more affordable to bring the family to the footy.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

What we need is a members only food van at every game where prices are 30% cheaper than those inside.

It would only need to break even.

Might make it more affordable to bring the family to the footy.

Or you could save money by making your lunch before you go.

Yup I didn't include travelling ... bearing in mind I live 600km's from PERTH! So a "Weekend" to watch CFC v Eagles or Dockers, with accommodation/fuel/food etc is closer to $1000 when you check your bank balance after you get home. :(
Perhaps we need a Carlton members version of Airbnb. Where travelling members can stay with other members on the cheap.

Maybe give memberships to the people who are willing to let others stay with them. Or something.

The goal is to lower the total cost of attending games for members, without costing the club an arm and a leg. Crowd-source the resources. Being people together.

If the club can save you $200 for the weekend, then maybe its worth getting that membership that you were contemplating.

I know this is pie in the sky thinking. I havent really thought it through.

Another thing that could be done is bring member who live in the same area together so they can carpool and split fuel costs.

The club has the database, lets utilise it fully.

Why limit it to food vans. Make it across the board.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Use the food vans and other money saving initiatives as a loss leader to sign more members.

Merch etc needs to pay licencing fees to the afl. There would not be as much margin. (I am guessing here).

Also, buy food at every game.

True.

Doesnt matter how much food i take with me, i still need to buy a pie at the footy. Its part of the ritual.

But if the pies are $2-$3 each, then its not so bad feeding 3-4 kids.

Here’s what you do - you buy a frozen pack of 4 (4&20 pies) at the supermarket on the way to the football, keep them on or about your person until ready for use.

Then you get your kids to take them to different food outlets when they’re ready to eat one, and tell the attendant that the pie they sold me was frozen, then they swap your frozen pie for a hot pie.

;):p

Here’s what you do - you buy a frozen pack of 4 (4&20 pies) at the supermarket on the way to the football, keep them on or about your person until ready for use.

Then you get your kids to take them to different food outlets when they’re ready to eat one, and tell the attendant that the pie they sold me was frozen, then they swap your frozen pie for a hot pie.

Typical Greek :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold!

FoxSports said:
The young guns every AFL club must unleash during the 2018 JLT Community Series

The JLT Series is just around the corner.

As always, clubs will be using the pre-season tournament as a means of getting minutes into the legs of some of its most talented young players.

For them, they will be hoping to earn an opportunity to play Round 1.

Here are the players at your club to keep a keen eye for throughout the next three weeks.

FoxSports said:
CARLTON

Zac Fisher

Word out of Carlton is that Fisher has enjoyed a really strong pre-season and is pushing for a permanent spot in the midfield this year. He spent most of his time playing as a forward in his debut campaign, where his natural zip enabled him to become a strong pressure player. He was a prolific ball winner as a junior and should be able to demonstrate those qualities more as he earns increased midfield time in 2018. Look out for him in the JLT Series.

Fish getting some recognition.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/th...s/news-story/0dfa83aa37f6aa9e4b81f101df66dfdd

Awesome stuff my friend.

Heard Cain Little on SEN. Have to say he impresses me.
They picked the right guy there.
Well I hate to be criticle but I've just heard his interview on the website and now I can see why were only at 40K members. The attitude he has just doesn't sit with the lost Carlton fans unfortunately and its true that there are probably more Carlton fans out there than Richmond or Essendon.

The caller made a great point saying that most of the people around him expect 8+ wins this year which is a reasonably tally and Liddle says "we don't want to be defined by wins and losses".

Well I hate to be criticle but I've just heard his interview on the website and now I can see why were only at 40K members. The attitude he has just doesn't sit with the lost Carlton fans unfortunately and its true that there are probably more Carlton fans out there than Richmond or Essendon.

The caller made a great point saying that most of the people around him expect 8+ wins this year which is a reasonably tally and Liddle says "we don't want to be defined by wins and losses".
He has to say that.

Questions and prompting from the media about this kind of thing are setups for later on, when we're sitting on 3-4 wins without much of the season to go. It's to put pressure on Bolts and Carlton; if we're expecting 8 wins, then surely 6 for the season's a failing grade. Better by far to externally be cliched and boring than it is to deviate from what is a pretty clear collective plan to give the vultures nothing.

It may not sit well with some Carlton fans, but those fans are rather the ones that will sign up when things are getting better anyway.

So you can see why we're a couple of thousand up on this time last year?

We're a rebuilding club (albeit year 3 of 3) who are down two of the top 4/5 players from last year. Our list has an average games tally of 56 games but a median of 31. 19 of our list have played less than a H&A seasons worth of games. The BF 'consensus 22' has an average games tally of only 67; 15 of the 22 have less experience than that figure and the average is pushed significantly higher considering the 'elder statesmen' of that team (Simpson, Murphy, Kreuzer, Wright, Ed, Jones, Casboult) of whom some may start disappearing from the 22 in the next year. Hell, swap Simpson for Garlett (named as emg) and the average drops by 18% to 55. Liddle in no way wants to put out a concrete pass/fail mark for this year. Internally they'll be striving to win 22 but the media will eat us alive all year, probably calling for Bolton, SOS and Liddle's head, if he says "we'll win 8 games" and then we fall short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back