Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 2 (cont. in Part 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see it that way at all. It looks more to me like he's just undecided. Now, you could argue that that's not a good sign, as he might not be 100% committed to our vision and plan, but I wouldn't say it's an indication that he's leaving.
He also has his injury recovery to focus on.
It may be he is trying to get his head around a 1 year deal substantially lower than his last. No one likes a pay cut.

It may be he is trying to get his head around a 1 year deal substantially lower than his last. No one likes a pay cut.
Plenty of possibilities at this stage. Nothing points to a decision one way or the other. Although MS3 has mentioned that it would have to be a fairly big swing the other way for Murph to leave and while there's been a little bit of interest shown by other clubs, nothing solid has been offered, with his injury probably contributing to that.
I'd prefer him to stay and be a one club player, but he needs to get his body right and come to grips with where he's at in his career. If that means passing up captaincy, taking less years and less dollars and potentially moving to a forward pocket, then so be it, but it's not my decision to make obviously.

As much as it is great news it is unsettling that both contracts end as they become RFAs. I guess the onus comes onto the club to finally perform in the 3 years that Cripps has on his contract which ends first to get them to see that a flag is coming and to stay on. Thats all you can really do.
You also run the risk that if we see success with Cripps in the mean time, that he might be happy to move on to another challenge, or be ready to move home. You can only hope that WC and Freo are s**t trucks by then and we are showing potential for sustained success.

For Doc to say he's willing to take a pay cut could mean that we have something big going on with Free Agency. I thought we had plenty of room in the cap.
I think it was more a statement of faith from Doc, rather than an indication of salary cap issues. Not sure that Doc would be privy to something like that anyway.

If Charlie is signed up at Carlton, Ed won't be going anywhere unless we really don't want him.
I get that impression as well. It has been great to watch Ed looking after Charlie this year.

Whenever someone takes a cheap shot at Charlie you can almost set your watch that Ed is going to appear within 10 seconds and discourage that type of behavior :handfist:

If I'm honest I thought we could sign Charlie up for less than $800,000.

I know he looks to be a star but he's not quite there just yet...hes probably worth $600k the next two years which means we are paying him around $1 million a season the three years after...thats a lot to be paying Charlie and would put him as one of the highest paid players in the comp.

I know we will front load it, but the above kind of shows a breakdown of his worth.

I think it has become impossible to ignore how s**t St Kilda and Suns have become.

Now Adelaide have entered to the mixing bowl of disappointment.

Carlton is off the hook for now.

Interesting hearing Nick R's comments about how players go into survival mode. It makes BB's performance as a coach so much better appreciated. To get our boys back playing team football after first the crows belting (beating * the next week) and then the hiding from the demons (2 competitive games against cats and swans)

Two weeks ago he made a complete dick of himself by spouting some ill researched crap about “couldn’t see where the improvement was going to come from” - any wonder he felt stupid backtracking,
Poor Gerard. You really do need to sit up and take notice of your capacity for analysis if Robbo's able to clearly critique it after 5 PM on a weekday.

If I'm honest I thought we could sign Charlie up for less than $800,000.

I know he looks to be a star but he's not quite there just yet...hes probably worth $600k the next two years which means we are paying him around $1 million a season the three years after...thats a lot to be paying Charlie and would put him as one of the highest paid players in the comp.

I know we will front load it, but the above kind of shows a breakdown of his worth.
Does seem quite high for a bloke that hasn't got a huge body of work behind him. But I guess that's just a reflection of where the game is at. Someone's value is what teams are willing to pay. If other teams would offer him more as reported, then that is his value.

This pearler from Carlton Media was missed by us all this week:

Bruce: Dockers a threat

How did training go today?
The boys had a really good session today. We trained really hard. It was really intense. It’s great that we have a full week to prepare for Fremantle.

What are the keys to defeating Fremantle on Saturday?
Fremantle showed last week that they’re a threatening side. They can move the ball from one end to the other pretty quickly. They certainly did that against Adelaide so it will be a big focus to prevent that.
Outstanding stuff. For a brief moment, I pleasantly faffed about in an imaginary world where follow-up questions didn't exist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does seem quite high for a bloke that hasn't got a huge body of work behind him. But I guess that's just a reflection of where the game is at. Someone's value is what teams are willing to pay. If other teams would offer him more as reported, then that is his value.
You don't reckon some team out there would pay more than that? People are talking about godfather offers to De Goey, why would they not do the same for Charlie? I reckon a team like Freo would offer in excess of $1m right now for Charlie.

With the raise in salary cap (not to mention the future raising of it) $800k really is the new $600k. The fact it's over 4 years is good too, in 2 years time he could very well be the best player in the comp then suddenly $800k a season looks cheap and very club friendly.

$800 is the new $600.

And while he's not getting heaps of it, you can still see how good he is... Opponents can't handle him, they give away frees, he's that good.

McKay gets frees too. Both will be terrific players.

You don't reckon some team out there would pay more than that? People are talking about godfather offers to De Goey, why would they not do the same for Charlie? I reckon a team like Freo would offer in excess of $1m right now for Charlie.

With the raise in salary cap (not to mention the future raising of it) $800k really is the new $600k. The fact it's over 4 years is good too, in 2 years time he could very well be the best player in the comp then suddenly $800k a season looks cheap and very club friendly.
I do think teams would offer him more. Thats what I'm saying.

Doesn't seem right that such a young player with such little body of work gets such high dollars, but that is where the game is at now. If other clubs will pay him more, then that's his value, and what we have to pay to keep him. We have probably kept him for under based on reports teams would offer him more.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love charlie, but just seems young kids with potential are getting huge dollars now before cementing themselves as certified stars.

I don't see it that way at all. It looks more to me like he's just undecided. Now, you could argue that that's not a good sign, as he might not be 100% committed to our vision and plan, but I wouldn't say it's an indication that he's leaving.
He also has his injury recovery to focus on.

I think he's waiting to see how his foot heals before he makes any contract decisions

If Curnow is getting 800k then we haven’t learnt a thing, hence why I truly believe he’s not getting anywhere near 800k (maybe, very maybe might be close in last year of contract)

If we’ve signed up Crippa for average 800k over the life of the deal then we are ******* geniuses

I call absolute utter bollocks on those figures and completely think Ralphy is making it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back