Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 2 (cont. in Part 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every time I watch a clip from that show, I wonder why I bothered.

4 antagonists, all absolutely chomping at the bit to be the first to stick the knife in.

I like that Judd is there fighting for us, don't get me wrong. I'd vastly prefer, though, that he'd ignored that particular show for one more analysis based, one that isn't seeking to muckrake, one that isn't actively trying to shame people and organisations to sell ad space.

Last edited:
For those with Foxtel, Simmo will be On The Couch tonight.

I expect him not to say a word during the first three questions before ending with one of the great interviews.

Every time I watch a clip from that show, I wonder why I bothered.

4 antagonists, all absolutely chomping at the bit to be the first to stick the knife in.

I like that Judd is there fighting for us, don't get me wrong. I'd vastly prefer, though, that he'd ignored that particular show for one more analysis based, one that isn't seeking to muckrake, one that isn't actively trying to shame people and organisations to sell ad space.

May as well demand he ride in on a unicorn while quoting from Mark Robinson: Sobriety & Me.

May as well demand he ride in on a unicorn while quoting from Mark Robinson: Sobriety & Me.
I get that, but there's something to be said for talking about the actual football, rather than the off-field nonsense that the clubs and players get up to.

It really doesn't help that that show is literally built and marketed towards conflict, hosts and guests taking potshots at each other and talking over each other and not really trying to win the argument but trying to get in as many licks as they can before the subject turns. They can't discuss anything with the right level of expertise due to the amount of time apportioned to each talking point, and while each of them has the credentials towards possessing their expertise in their area - with Caro being the most qualified and Lloyd the least - they don't use their knowledge to illuminate.

It's a microcosm of a greater AFL media whole; that they're all set up to contrive drama to sell to the masses. Might as well be reality television.

I get that, but there's something to be said for talking about the actual football, rather than the off-field nonsense that the clubs and players get up to.

It really doesn't help that that show is literally built and marketed towards conflict, hosts and guests taking potshots at each other and talking over each other and not really trying to win the argument but trying to get in as many licks as they can before the subject turns. They can't discuss anything with the right level of expertise due to the amount of time apportioned to each talking point, and while each of them has the credentials towards possessing their expertise in their area - with Caro being the most qualified and Lloyd the least - they don't use their knowledge to illuminate.

It's a microcosm of a greater AFL media whole; that they're all set up to contrive drama to sell to the masses. Might as well be reality television.

Preaching to the choir.

I got excited when the conversation on the radio started turning to what Carlton could/should do with Pick 1 in the last couple of days. Hoped to hear some interesting discussion about who might be available etc. etc. So far it's been Terry Wallace and KB asking if Carlton should trade Pick 1 for Sloane and McGovern, followed by Tim Watson and Garry Lyon suggesting we should trade Pick 1 for Dylan Shiel.

I've given up. If the full time football pundits can't even wrap their heads around the concept of free agents, what hope is there for an interesting discussion? Yes Terry, we should trade Pick 1 for a 28yo free agent and a third tall forward. Yes Tim, we should trade Pick 1 for a player who will be a free agent in 12 months time.

I might disagree with folks here when it comes to trade hypotheticals and whatnot, but at least the vast majority understand how the system works and the disconnect is typically on value.

It's very americanised like what skip Bayless and steven a Smith do

I've given up. If the full time football pundits can't even wrap their heads around the concept of free agents, what hope is there for an interesting discussion? Yes Terry, we should trade Pick 1 for a 28yo free agent and a third tall forward. Yes Tim, we should trade Pick 1 for a player who will be a free agent in 12 months time.

29yo by the time 2019 comes around :rolleyes:

Hypotheticals from morons is not worth wasting a second on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back