Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 2 (cont. in Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes - Malthouse is a flog.

Says Murphy is not a great captain - but he is the one that first appointed him.

Usual tripe from a bitter old fart trying to stay relevant.

Goodness MM was always a different character but he really has gone off the rails...mainly starting when he was with us.

The guy was in the AFL system for so long and coaching record holder for games or something, yet he's burned so many bridges and most people don't want a bar of him. Now s**t stirring in the media.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Apparently Marc was 3rd in line after Juddy wanted to hand over the captaincy. Carrots (too injury prone) and 29yo Simmo (too old) were the prime candidates.

Murphy's body language wasnt good and he let Crippa lead the team into the race when he should have. It means Murph is a failure as a captain.

Or something like that. I just skimmed it.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

How is 29 too old? If that truly was the reason Simmo was overlooked MM is an idiot.
Simmo is still going 5 years later.

Not sure Simmo would have been a great captain either...gives all on the field but doubt he'd like the off-field stuff especially media.

The Ian PrenderCast

Senior List
Jun 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Tried all platforms you offered except spotify. Part 2 plays fine but part 1 is broken. Tried it on pc, iphone, and on android tablet throughout the evening. Plays the first 18 minutes fine, but just after the comment about the player who was all australian in u17 and u18, when sos was on the board...... it starts playing a repeat of earlier in the podcast. It continues to loop like this throughout. The time stamp reads correctly though, like it was an upload error. Have you checked it? I'm eager to listen to part 1. Part 2 was great.
Again, how very strange... I've run it through a couple channels and it's fine. Im at a loss to explain why it'd be looping like that.

The Ian PrenderCast

Senior List
Jun 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
How is 29 too old? If that truly was the reason Simmo was overlooked MM is an idiot.
Simmo is still going 5 years later.

Not sure Simmo would have been a great captain either...gives all on the field but doubt he'd like the off-field stuff especially media.
I thought at the time Murphy was chosen for commercial or PR driven reasons.

He's a Nike athlete/ambassador and the same with Hyundai. So he got the nod. Felt as though it was more Club driven than player driven.

The Ian PrenderCast

Senior List
Jun 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
It wasn’t moved by any of the Mods on here.

I hazard a guess it was moved by Chief to the Podcasts, Blogs & Videos Board

Chief
Seemed a strange move. We aren't so precious that it's that big of a deal, but we like talking Carlton and hope some might get something out of listening, so why not just leave it in its own thread on the main Carlton board in which we can update it whenever we've a new ep and those we hope will listen can easily find it?

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
on ya katman.....so you have a HS account?
Yeah i joined when they had that bluetooth headphone deal. I get the weekend papers delivered to work and it works out cheaper than getting them from the servo. So i basically got the headphone for free.

The trick is to cancel as soon as time is up.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Paywall, what's he saying?

Bear in mind, no-one in the entire AFL holds a grudge more than Michael Malthouse. He spent the entire duration of his coaching stint with us taking potshots at Collingwood (given that his coaching stint with us was a massive fcuk you to Eddie anyway) and has spent the time since we fired him being passive aggressive in the media.

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

Bear in mind, no-one in the entire AFL holds a grudge more than Michael Malthouse. He spent the entire duration of his coaching stint with us taking potshots at Collingwood (given that his coaching stint with us was a massive fcuk you to Eddie anyway) and has spent the time since we fired him being passive aggressive in the media.
Paywall was my issue too....see katmans summary in an earlier post (#8787)

harrisendblue

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Failed to get the alternative Richmond ticket over the line in '16
Coffee with Tom Elliott/Mathieson gives her new prey
Looks at Carlton, sees Carrion, pulls Trigger
Blinks
Misses the real melbourne disasters....
Saints norf bombers
In mediocrity
In perpetuity
Meanwhile we climb
and climb
and relegate them to
obscurity

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Caro never digs deeply into the actual football related issues and just plays to her strength - which is milking her vast range of sources. She will like others always attack the vulnerable.

I don't have an issue with her just wish she would scratch the surface of the football side of things a lot more.

Re the Trigg/Lethlean manoeuvrings she failed to mention the clear show of strength (assuming she is correct of course) shown by the board in not backing the Prez's call. Wish we have that sort of strength in our political parties.

https://outline.com/rRzyXS

Runs the ruler over every AFL captain.

It's not the worst although Murphy cops it the heaviest and it's possible the article was partly motivated by wanting to deliver criticism of Marc.

Admittedly I didn't read it thoroughly. But I haven't paid Malthouse much attention for a while. If I wanted to listen to a senile, grumpy old man I'd visit the local retirement home...

"Average age" is the most overrated and stupid statistic in football.

10 x 50 year olds in a team with 12 x 6 year olds would give an average age of 26 years old.

That would mean we would have an average age of 26 years old.

So we should beat Richmond?

Anyone that uses "average age" as a pretence for "analysis" is a flog of the highest order.

I was stupidly on the main board recently and read plenty of 'Carlton isn't that young' posts. I replied with this:

----------------------------------------------

I've crunched numbers on last three drafts and how many games each team has given to kids from each cohort.

520456_819efbf707ca0e005e33e548f9548f01.png

*Ie the players Carlton drafted in the 2015 draft have played a total of 150 matches*

Overall we have pumped more games into 2015-2017 draftees than any other team. Brisbane aside, we're more than 50% higher than the next and Essendon's 2015 was majorly boosted by 2016 ASADA(?)

Basically we've played double the comp average.

Not playing enough kids is not our problem. The problem is that the rest of the list that SOS inherited (or traded out for draft currency) is really s**t.

Feb 8, 2012
Publican Baghdad Ritz
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers

It's not the worst although Murphy cops it the heaviest and it's possible the article was partly motivated by wanting to deliver criticism of Marc.

Admittedly I didn't read it thoroughly. But I haven't paid Malthouse much attention for a while. If I wanted to listen to a senile, grumpy old man I'd visit the local retirement home...
Say hello to my mother in lawwhile your at it..

RedFury

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton

Good summary Ferris although you did miss a perfectly good opportunity for a thylacine60 joke with your last sentence.

Good summary Ferris although you did miss a perfectly good opportunity for a thylacine60 joke with your last sentence.

I actually wrote one, but then deleted it before posting!

Sometimes you got to show just a little respect to your much much MUCH more elders...

And talk to the staff ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back