Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daicos Jnr is still a Carlton supporter :)

"Marc Murphy was always my favourite player growing up and we played local footy with the Silvagnis and they got me to run out with the team, they got me a jumper, a locker, so it was an easy option for me"

Having our own VFL is the step we needed to take to help our development of players so they can do what we need them to do in order to progress to the senior team.

Patience has never been a virtue at the Blues, hope we have the right coaching structure in place and we stick with it long enough to see if it can be successful.

That just makes it possible not probable. Still need to get the right people in the development roles.

Not sure why people get upset when he has an opinion which is part of his job. Sounded like he was prepared to admit when he was wrong with Walsh.
yep - although he's digging his heels in over his "worst ever crows team" call

Thing with Hawthorn, Geelong and Richmond has been the fact that they've each been suuuuper patient with particular players that went on to become lynchpins to their 22. Dusty was not worth the investment prior to 2017; good, but not a great player at pick 3; Rance took years, Grimes was nigh constantly seen as a scrubber, Astbury and Vlaustin as mids. Bartel took 5 years to solidify his position in that first 22; Stevie J was almost delisted the year before he won the norm smith, Harry Taylor and Hawkins spent years chugging away before they broke out, Taylor having to wait in the twos until Scarlett retired and Hawkins being a waste of space for 4 seasons. Smith, Gunston, Puopolo, Breust, Shiel, Stratton, Birchill, Hill; these blokes took time.

The thing is, with some players and some types you're simply not going to see their best footy or even AFL quality footy inside their 25th year. You need to be able to look in order to see the players who have prospective for growth, and players whose ceilings are pretty close to how they're going now.

I had a look a year or so ago into roughly how long it takes sides to complete their rebuilds and win a flag, and what I observed was that there's two phases to a team's progress; initial rise to finals and competitiveness - in which a side either broke through (Hawthorn and WB in 2008 and 2016 respectively) or fell back to the pack (Geelong, 2003-04, Richmond 2013-16, Collingwood 2006-08) - and then a recalibration, in which those teams went through their lists and their coaching, and improved on what they had. One of the observations I made was that some teams - Carlton 2009-2013, Essendon 2010-13, Fremantle 2013-14, Melbourne 2001-03 - never rose again had something in common; instead of trying to add to their lists or refining their approach, they got rid of coaches, believed that what they had on their list was already enough to win a flag, and tried to hold what they had together by avoiding trades or drafting.

The outcome of what I found was that teams take in and around 5-8 years to achieve that initial rise, and if they rise again they tend towards taking another 3-4 seasons to win a flag. Rebuilds take time, and for a team to achieve dynastic status they need to be allowed to develop for longer timeframes than most would accept.
Have you thought of journalism, at least on your spare time? That's very intelligent stuff

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Over and over in the last couple of weeks, Oscar McDonald has found himself in the right place at the right time.

On Carlton’s list in the first place, on the forward line in pre-season games, on the sub’s bench for round one, then on the ground and on the list of goalkickers as the Blues lost narrowly to Richmond; these were all improbable destinations for McDonald after he was delisted by Melbourne at the end of last season.

I'm not sure if this is interesting or concerning:
In the last quarter, he kicked another goal, easy as you like from 50 metres. In 81 games for Melbourne, he kicked one, total. Now he had two in a half. He was not completely surprised. “At training, when we have goal-kicking practice, the backs beat the forwards anyway,” he said. “Maybe it’s something I’ll hone in on a bit more now.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O McDonald has been accurate so far in his game last week and vs St Kilda in pre-season and Plowman kicked a nice goal from 50m near the boundary. McDonald did as well.

I'd say it's concerning lol.
Agree - OMac and Plowman looked surprisingly confident in their shots at goal. Especially Plowman from the boundary - he knew exactly what he was going to do and executed it to perfection.

Weitering is a great kick, best in the team imo. Plowman is a decent kick, doesn't shank many. I think Doc is a good kick when he's not trying to kick the cover off the ball. Saad is a very good kick. SPS doesn't have a long kick but is accurate. Willamson is noted as having a great left foot also.

I think it's an advent of the fact that the best kicks in our team are backmen as opposed to the forwards being bad. I wouldn't read too much into it.

The demands on a forward are different from being a defender. Forwards need to be dynamic, faster, stronger; they need to leap higher, better marks, more agile or evasive. It's more about what they can do to get the ball when outnumbered.

Defenders have to be able to deal with pressure, and they have to be able to get the ball out reliably; both skills which lend themselves to being decent at goalkicking.

Agree - OMac and Plowman looked surprisingly confident in their shots at goal. Especially Plowman from the boundary - he knew exactly what he was going to do and executed it to perfection.
I think it was a case of no one expects me to kick it do I'll just relax and have a crack from Plowman. Often happens when pressure is released mentally.

The AFL will create a red head, light skin minority community liaison position to ensure he never leaves the Gold Coast.
I approve of this. We need more representation.

Just not on the gold coast. Do you have ANY idea how much sunscreen you'd go through, living up there? My brother has to have baths to go outside in a Melbourne winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back