Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey guys, I got an AFL YouTube channel and had a crack at making a brief video about Carlton’s rebuild. Let me know what you think. :)

good job like it - think our backs are a little better placed than you suggest and although you can't mention the entire list, players like tom williamson, harrison macreadie and tdk have us all a little excited too :thumbsu:

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton

Hey guys, I got an AFL YouTube channel and had a crack at making a brief video about Carlton’s rebuild. Let me know what you think. :)

Yeah that was good, thanks for sharing. Well done :thumbsu:

Only thing I’d critique is the idea that the Carlton supporter base are growing impatient. I’ve never known Carlton supporters to be as patient and forward looking as they are right now. I think general sentiment is that we understand what the club is trying to achieve and know that this process is going to take time, but thank goodness there’s actually a clear process here that we can buy into.

I get a feeling that the lack of patience for where Carlton should be is more prevalent in the media and with opposition supporters than it is among our supporter group. I hope the club knows this too.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
Yeah that was good, thanks for sharing. Well done :thumbsu:

Only thing I’d critique is the idea that the Carlton supporter base are growing impatient. I’ve never known Carlton supporters to be as patient and forward looking as they are right now. I think general sentiment is that we understand what the club is trying to achieve and know that this process is going to take time, but thank goodness there’s actually a clear process here that we can buy into.

I get a feeling that the lack of patience for where Carlton should be is more prevalent in the media and with opposition supporters than it is among our supporter group. I hope the club knows this too.
I agree with this, though would say that if we were to get a fair few more wins next year, then impatience will likely grow.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers

Accurate summary IMO - we've got the list near to what is required to move forward and it's all about getting better now. Good edit too! :thumbsu:

Cliper

Debutant
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ankara Spor VolleyBall

Great work Daj, appreciate you taking time and effort. I felt your delivery was very good considering the subject matter and the fact that you dont even barack for the Blues. (do you? secretly?)

A well balanced synopsis, not too high, nor too low and NO hyperbole. Some of the mainstream media flogs could take a leaf from you

Last edited:

passmark

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Great work Daj, appreciate you taking time and effort. I felt your delivery was very good considering the subject matter and the fact that you dont even barack for the Blues. (do you? secretly?)

A well balanced synopsis, not too high, nor too low and NO hyperbole. Some of the mainstream media flogs could take a leaf from you
Balanced, well researched and presented media content? It will never catch on.

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree with this, though would say that if we were to get a fair few more wins next year, then impatience will likely grow.

I'm assuming you meant to say if we don't get a fair few more wins.
The past season with the meager two wins brought a few panic merchants out to squawk that it's already time to look at replacing Bolts, SOS has got it wrong, MLo has NFI, etc. Another lean season would validate that point of view and the squawkers would be louder and more numerous.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
I'm assuming you meant to say if we don't get a fair few more wins.
The past season with the meager two wins brought a few panic merchants out to squawk that it's already time to look at replacing Bolts, SOS has got it wrong, MLo has NFI, etc. Another lean season would validate that point of view and the squawkers would be louder and more numerous.
Nah, meant what I said. If we look like we're improving, then people will look for the "missing pieces" and get impatient. A low win season again would make sure people had their expectations in check.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

skadoosh

Premiership Player
May 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
https://outline.com/ctLW33

Mostly waffle, but this was notable

While a final decision is yet to be made, the Sunday Herald Sununderstands Williamstown is planning to be without Gibbons next year, confident the athletic midfielder and forward will be listed by Carlton.

BlueRenaissance

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Mitch McGovern back injury on AFL website.

I think it is not just Adelaide that are death riding Carlton. Think everyone is.

After Stocker deal, it just gets hypnotic to watch player after player go down.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

I think it is not just Adelaide that are death riding Carlton. Think everyone is.

It does wound, doesn't it? Everyone's been deathriding Carlton since the beginning of this year for some reason, and it's nearly impossible to find an untainted opinion anywhere; either tainted because the owner supports Carlton, or tainted because they're wallowing in their schadenfreude.

I will say, though, that I much prefer these injuries happening now than during JLT or 5 minutes before a game begins, if they have to happen at all.

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton
Nah, meant what I said. If we look like we're improving, then people will look for the "missing pieces" and get impatient. A low win season again would make sure people had their expectations in check.

Yeah, I guess some people, once they get a good sniff they will get greedy and expect too much too soon. Look at clubs like Richmond and the Dogs and think well THEY came from no-where and won a flag, why can't WE?

Reminds me of what we did to Ratten. As soon as the team had an ordinary season where we weren't going to finish higher than the previous season, the club couldn't even wait for the season to end before pulling the trigger.

Compare that with the faith Collingwood have had in Nafan. Seemed crazy at times - WHY?!! They were just getting worse and worse. And yet they played in the grand final this year and were arguably unlucky to lose.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

I wouldn't worry to much. Its obvious that Riley is sensationalising. The article contains the all facts that objectively imply that the injury is not serious. However, contrary to the authors own facts, he then uses the word "continues" so as to expressly communicate to the reader that despite the facts that he has provided, the injury is a continuation of the 2 previous horrific injuries. He is clearly ignoring his own facts to reach a conclusion that compliments his caption. In other words this article is deliberately shiftfull at its core.

Riley Riley, lift your game. You would have done better to leave out the factual material that kills your conclusion; and just run with a pure opinion piece.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
There can be only 1
Only thing I’d critique is the idea that the Carlton supporter base are growing impatient.
I think that if you only listened to those going on talk back radio etc then you could get the impression that our supporters are getting impatient. I believe that they are well and truly in the minority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back