Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gerard Whateley seemed very dark on Carlton this morning on SEN. I assumed he was playing the devils advocate but he was really driving the knife in. I don't mind hearing about the reality of the situation my club is in but he was coming across extremely negative. Bring on the tough questions for sure but it was all a bit over the top.
"the blues supporters are waiting at the station for a train, and the train is never coming". Gerard....Jog on son, jog on.

Thank god for people like David King. He came on and really put things in perscpective and backed it up with clear cut stats. His view was that Carlton definitely shouldn't be ripping off band aids and punting coaches. Stick phat and see it thru for now.

Gerard Whateley seemed very dark on Carlton this morning on SEN. I assumed he was playing the devils advocate but he was really driving the knife in. I don't mind hearing about the reality of the situation my club is in but he was coming across extremely negative. Bring on the tough questions for sure but it was all a bit over the top.
"the blues supporters are waiting at the station for a train, and the train is never coming". Gerard....Jog on son, jog on.

Thank god for people like David King. He came on and really put things in perscpective and backed it up with clear cut stats. His view was that Carlton definitely shouldn't be ripping off band aids and punting coaches. Stick phat and see it thru for now.

Spot on. Appreciate and understand we do not help ourselves with results that we are dishing up, but the facts are facts, and the side we are fielding is simply a bunch of kids vs men.

Whether it will be Bolts (I hope we stick with him) or another coach, the fact is we need to get games into these gun kids. Change of coach does not change this requirement

What a disrespectful preview of our game by HUN “expert” today (his name escapes me). Quotes like “on their home deck they could really run up the scoreboard” and he proffered “Giants by 100 points?”. Just wish someone at the club will mention this pre game, oh how I long for the wheel to turn..

Oh and also something like “with the line at -37.5 pts, it’s giving away money at $1.90”. Get some respect peanut, were your eyes painted on last week!

Ooh...I hate egg on my face!

What a disrespectful preview of our game by HUN “expert” today (his name escapes me). Quotes like “on their home deck they could really run up the scoreboard” and he proffered “Giants by 100 points?”. Just wish someone at the club will mention this pre game, oh how I long for the wheel to turn..

Oh and also something like “with the line at -37.5 pts, it’s giving away money at $1.90”. Get some respect peanut, were your eyes painted on last week!
Looks like the “expert” was on the mark.

This is bizarre BD, given that Whateley was full of praise for us after our loss against the Hawks, saying (iirc) that we were on the cusp of arriving as a team, and that nobody would want to face us in the second half of this season, as we’d be a dangerous prospect regardless of our opponent.

Despite his projected image as a highbrow analyst, Whateley and the vast majority of the media tbh act for the most part like weather vanes, telling you little more than which way the wind is blowing since the last game. Their acute short memory syndrome not only relates to the performances of teams, but their own analysis of those performances, which suggests to me that their only real concern is to grab audiences to sell to advertisers (by tapping into the mood of the day) and not to shed light on what are often complex truths.

It’s going to be another long week on Media Street for Blues supporters, but hopefully a few sane voices will emerge along the way - perhaps Duck on TF and Bob and Roo on 360, for starters. We shall see.

Edit: I just realised that utensils typically adorn weather vanes, which I believe strengthens my case considerably!

1558326199745.jpeg

Last edited:
Whateley is pissed the Pres won’t give him the time of day.
Piss weak attack from a coward with a hugely overrated opinion of his own importance.
He’ll keep.
agree with this.....

Whately. :rolleyes:

Was one of the best in the business - then joined SEN and became a shock-jock not worth listening to.

He completely lost me early last year when he drove the campaign to have the Curnow brothers suspended for umpire contact.

He very clearly abused his position of power both on AFL360 and SEN to try increase the penalty yet barely mentioned other incidents of a similar nature for the rest of the year.

Guess who we played a fortnight after those incidents?

And earlier this year he had the chance to launch a similar campaign when a player was fined for umpire contact, yet he chose not to. Not a word was mentioned. You know why? The player was Joel Selwood. And Gerard wouldn't dare speak up against his beloved Cats.

Last year he was hugely critical of our club and of our rebuild - remember he "couldn't see it". And yet on the back of a 2 win season he has admitted he expected us to win 7-10 games in 2019.

Nobody who "couldn't see it" can suddenly 'see it' on the back of recruiting Newman, Setterfield and Fasolo. Unless of course - and this is the reality - he's sold himself out completely and has settled for becoming the shock-jock his station almost demands.

Who exactly does he think he's fooling?

Gerard can go and get ****ed. I don't listen to him. I don't watch him. His opinions are garbage.

Whately. :rolleyes:

Was one of the best in the business - then joined SEN and became a shock-jock not worth listening to.

He completely lost me early last year when he drove the campaign to have the Curnow brothers suspended for umpire contact.

He very clearly abused his position of power both on AFL360 and SEN to try increase the penalty yet barely mentioned other incidents of a similar nature for the rest of the year.

Guess who we played a fortnight after those incidents?

And earlier this year he had the chance to launch a similar campaign when a player was fined for umpire contact, yet he chose not to. Not a word was mentioned. You know why? The player was Joel Selwood. And Gerard wouldn't dare speak up against his beloved Cats.

Last year he was hugely critical of our club and of our rebuild - remember he "couldn't see it". And yet on the back of a 2 win season he has admitted he expected us to win 7-10 games in 2019.

Nobody who "couldn't see it" can suddenly 'see it' on the back of recruiting Newman, Setterfield and Fasolo. Unless of course - and this is the reality - he's sold himself out completely and has settled for becoming the shock-jock his station almost demands.

Who exactly does he think he's fooling?

Gerard can go and get ******. I don't listen to him. I don't watch him. His opinions are garbage.

I have absolutely no interest in what Whately says or does. Sold his soul to the devil when he left the ABC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club is really driving this narrative of "we have been competitive in 7 out of 9 games". This is all well and good but it does completely ignore the fact that the game against Richmond was over at quarter time, the game against Sydney was over half way through the 3rd quarter and finally losing games of football in 10 minutes when you have been in control for most of the game is actually an indictment on our team not something to preach.

Looking forward to the shows tonight.

I suspect we will be the lead item (again). Juddy must hate being in this position.

I really don't care what the media says

I get what you, Arr0w, and others are saying here Neese, and I agree up to a point, but imo for better or worse what the media are saying plays an important role in setting the agenda and the whole climate for discussion and debate, and I think that this can have a major impact on how certain events and issues ultimately play out. Fwiw, I’d argue that a similar dynamic operates with political parties in the world of politics.

In the current situation, as a club I don’t believe that internally we are in crisis, quite the opposite in fact - the key people seem to know and agree on where we’re at, and what we are doing and need to continue doing in order to move forward. However, if the external noise generated largely by the media reaches fever pitch, and especially if it strongly fuels and grows the “this can’t continue” malcontents within our supporter base, then imo at some point this has the potential to start to seriously impact on the club, and at the very least it will place key figures under much greater pressure than they would otherwise be.

Edit: I’ve just watched the opening segment of Footy Classified, and I’m inclined to double down on what I wrote above. We might want to ignore that kind of opinion, and disagree vehemently with the way that it constructs the situation that Bolts and our club find themselves in, but imo if that viewpoint is duplicated across other media outlets in the weeks and months ahead, then in time it will impact on our support base and our club, to the point where Bolts won’t survive into 2020. I absolutely don’t want that to happen, which makes me even more desperate for a return to competitive performances over the next 4 rounds, in which I think we also need to pick up a win or two, just to calm the whole situation down leading into the bye. As Sellers said on 360 earlier in the season, if our boys want Bolts to be around in the medium to long term (which he and I believe they do), then they’d better start to perform consistently, and chalk up some wins in the process. I think we’re in for some interesting and nerve wracking weeks ahead, although a win against the Saints on Sunday would go a long way towards steadying the ship - it’s shaping up as a game of huge significance imo.

Last edited:
They sell negativity and pick and choose their agendas. I have little respect for most in the media.
I too have little respect for many in the media Neese, but I must admit that I have a grudging respect for the power that they wield when it comes to shaping how events play out in the footy world. Hopefully, Bolts and our boys can starve the beast over the next 4 games leading into the bye, by being competitive in all, and coming away with 4 points in at least one, and preferably two, of those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back