Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon that was Bolts main failing. His work ethic, exuberance and passion (which cant be faulted) led to excessive structures, meetings and waffle.

As we used to say in the Army: 'Keep it simple, stupid' (KISS). The more complex your plans, the greater the chance they go pear shaped on contact with the enemy. Your men should have a simple and clear objective, and the freedom to use their own initiative as they see fit to achieve it.

Complex plans, rigid tactics and over planning can be bad things. People get confused with too much information and too many what ifs, their initiative can be stifled, and they can start to look to others for help.

Both Hardwick and Bucks got a lot more out of their sides by taking a few steps back, and letting players play. I dont think Boltons exuberance and work ethic let him really do that.

Yeah sure to all of that. But we still played some surprisingly good footy for a bunch of dazed and confused teenagers. Until we didnt. What went wrong?

After all they're footballers. Let them play the game on natural instinct. I've been a strong advocate to give the players one task. Play one on one and beat your opponent. As you're taught from a young age. Once the team matures and gains confidence then you can start tinkering with strategies.
In an ideal world, it'd be great, and kids would require less coaching as they enter the AFL system. As we can see, though, from the preponderance of zones, intercept marking plus blocks to create space both forward and back, pulling the flanks up to create space to lead into, defensive and offensive running patterns being coached from the box, it's just not that simple anymore.

If it didn't work, people wouldn't do it. I'd love a return to coaches simply telling their players to be first to the ball, to kick it up the guts, to simply requiring their players to be better or harder than their opposition; game's prettier that way. It's also s**t easy to shut down, as Roos and Wallace proved.

Also saying that Teague will bring a different 'philosophy' and pointed out that he's from the Adelaide mould who move the ball much faster than us, especially when Teague was there. I read that as we'll be more attacking and put pressure on opponents through that, rather than the dour, safe game plan Bolton was adopting.

Liked that Doc mentioned wanting players to feel more free and confident with the ball and just enjoy their footy again...although i guess that's what everyone says after a coach is sacked.

No Doubt Bolts was from the Clarkson school of thought- a slower more methodical possession based Game plan. Problem was /is we dont have the mature skills and composure that the hawks had in order to execute that effectively. We were constantly turning the ball over especially post North match. Our fragile confidence seemed to desert us and compounded the errors.
Our young list is probably more suited to the Teague game plan - where instinctual fast play-on type game strategy- plays to our strengths a and not our weaknesses. But I cant help recalling the Ratten days where we played very offensively , but the downside was our defence. It was seem as our weakness that limited our upside. Maybe the Bolton defensive mode can carry over and complement the new attacking plan.

Every time I hear Doc speak I am more and more impressed, what an outstanding young man he is.

His caring human answers to Bolts's sacking and how it affected him and the mood around the club was so well articulated, no media face, no standard answers just refreshing honesty and emotion communicated brilliantly.

The club is in good hands with people like Doc there.

Every time I hear Doc speak I am more and more impressed, what an outstanding young man he is.

His caring human answers to Bolts's sacking and how it affected him and the mood around the club was so well articulated, no media face, no standard answers just refreshing honesty and emotion communicated brilliantly.

Can see him coaching the club one day.

https://outline.com/zrtLbr

PETER RYANJUNE 07, 2019
By Friday the club's search for his replacement was underway and caretaker coach David Teague was promising to release the shackles on a group that has played most of the season as though they were afraid to make a mistake.

https://outline.com/zrtLbr

PETER RYANJUNE 07, 2019
By Friday the club's search for his replacement was underway and caretaker coach David Teague was promising to release the shackles on a group that has played most of the season as though they were afraid to make a mistake.
I wouldn't mind having a good look to see how Teague goes for the rest of the year ..if he does okay maybe bring in a Roos type to keep his eye on him ..

Roos just said that nobody believes that Teague will be the coach next year. That our search will be from the top of the list eg Clarkson and go down

Roos just said that nobody believes that Teague will be the coach next year. That our search will be from the top of the list eg Clarkson and go down

It would take a remarkable turnaround, but if he clearly instilled confidence and belief in the playing group and we managed to win 4+ games (unlikely) then you'd have to think he'd be a realistic shot. It would need to be sustained for the 11 weeks though, not just a dead cat bounce.

I am not a crush-prone person, but I have the most ridiculous crush on Doc. Decent bloke, so articulate, military haircut, reliable and such a bloody effective playing style (and kinda pretty). I have voluntarily removed my uterus from general population replenishment exercises but damn I would reconsider if Doc asked nicely and made me a decent G&T.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not a crush-prone person, but I have the most ridiculous crush on Doc. Decent bloke, so articulate, military haircut, reliable and such a bloody effective playing style (and kinda pretty). I have voluntarily removed my uterus from general population replenishment exercises but damn I would reconsider if Doc asked nicely and made me a decent G&T.
:rolleyes:..Bluella!!

That is sooo funny

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It would take a remarkable turnaround, but if he clearly instilled confidence and belief in the playing group and we managed to win 4+ games (unlikely) then you'd have to think he'd be a realistic shot. It would need to be sustained for the 11 weeks though, not just a dead cat bounce.

Its interesting.... Bolton probably would still have his job if we had 3-4 wins on the board. Yet 3-4 wins for teague would not be enough...

Its interesting.... Bolton probably would still have his job if we had 3-4 wins on the board. Yet 3-4 wins for teague would not be enough...

I know what you mean .. but I guess one factor there is that the criteria is often much higher for getting a job than keeping a job. We've got several employees at my work who have been around for years and always manage to just do enough to keep their head above water - but if they produced the same results on probation/contract they'd be unlikely to get the permanent role over other candidates ... if that makes sense.

Last edited:

Roos doesn’t want anyone else doing a Roos and going from caretaker coach to senior coach to premiership coach.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeh you go girl :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back