Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suggestions from On the Couch that SOS will be leaving the club at the end of the year.

Basing it off Cain Liddle saying that all departments of the footy club undergo regular reviews is a bit of a long bow. Having said that, I can understand four years in a role might be enough before you’d want a change. One more trade period and draft to establish the list that will have a crack at finals could well be enough for him to think his work is done. It allows him to sit back and relax without having to make decisions about offering his sons contracts or not in coming years.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Basing it off Cain Liddle saying that all departments of the footy club undergo regular reviews is a bit of a long bow. Having said that, I can understand four years in a role might be enough before you’d want a change. One more trade period and draft to establish the list that will have a crack at finals could well be enough for him to think his work is done. It allows him to sit back and relax without having to make decisions about offering his sons contracts or not in coming years.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
To add to the last bit it also removes any safety net for Jack & Ben ensuring there is no complacency.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

To add to the last bit it also removes any safety net for Jack & Ben ensuring there is no complacency.

Not having watched much VFL if any, I cannot speak for Ben, but as far as Jack goes...

Are you seeing complacency in either of these two? Genuine question.

Footy Crucified just had Hutchy ask Lloyd if Blakey is the best of his draft class of 2018.

Lloyd says good call, only needs 10 touches to make a difference, will be better than Walsh.

Blakey is the new Rioli

Gary Lyon still finds it hard to say a positive word about Cripps. No doubt he still believes Oliver is a better player. Dreaming!!!
I’ve heard on several occasions Gary Lyon talk about Cripps in a positive way. Not sure where you are getting that idea from. I find Gary generally pretty fair in his comments on players the game etc.

Not having watched much VFL if any, I cannot speak for Ben, but as far as Jack goes...

Are you seeing complacency in either of these two? Genuine question.
Haven't seen much of Ben though he comes across as a little laid back.
Jack appears to be a hard worker tbh, with him it's more a bit of a chip on the shoulder so to speak.

Footy Crucified just had Hutchy ask Lloyd if Blakey is the best of his draft class of 2018.

Lloyd says good call, only needs 10 touches to make a difference, will be better than Walsh.

Blakey is the new Rioli
He’s looks a very good player Blakey.....perhaps the third best....after rozee of course then Walsh.

Suggestions from On the Couch that SOS will be leaving the club at the end of the year.
Juddy put that inference into perspective; made it clear that SOS position isn’t being looked at with any more intensity than any other position undergoing review. At a guess, think the review is likely end up with further clarity around procedures in the all aspects of the footy dept; including list management.

As far as the media’s preoccupation with SOS is concerned, after the review is complete, I bloody well hope the club ditches its preoccupation with political niceties, comes out and makes it clear he’s not going anywhere, and if necessary show some bluntness when doing so. Am sick of the media setting our agenda; the club’s capitulation on its decision not to ask for a priority pick still irks me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blakey is the new Rioli

And Lloyd now says what great young talent we have and only listed a few of them.

Only starting to realise?

So now Rozee and Blakey are better than Walsh? I'm surprised they haven't mentioned how much better Bailey Smith is yet.

By the end of the season they'll probably be saying that Stocker was the better player, should've been the no.1 pick and that we made a mistake taking Walsh.

Furthermore, if the accusation is that SOS has brought in substandard talent then why did they sack Bolts? Surely it can't be Bolt's fault if he didn't have the cattle.

I'm over all this constant speculation. You'd reckon after the Brisbane game arguments about Carlton's talent would have been put to bed. I mean they completely outclassed a list that has been hyped as the next big thing. Give us a break why don't they.

Can someone record all of Tom Morris’s rumors and report back in 12/18 months how many eventuate. I think that guy has no contacts, who would waste their time grabbing a coffee with him.
0/263, happy to be corrected

The rumour is that he's leaving 'of his own accord', not getting sacked.

So technically i could see it being a possibility that SOS chooses to leave after this trade period.
Nab us a mature gun like Papley and his work in terms of rebuilding the list and setting us up for sustained success is complete really.

There's many reasons he may want to leave that have nothing to do with Carlton...eg he might just want more time off, he may want to be more involved in other business ventures etc.

So now Rozee and Blakey are better than Walsh? I'm surprised they haven't mentioned how much better Bailey Smith is yet.

By the end of the season they'll probably be saying that Stocker was the better player, should've been the no.1 pick and that we made a mistake taking Walsh.
After last weeks game by Walsh this is a Carlton "mistake" that I really like...

Juddy put that inference into perspective; made it clear that SOS position isn’t being looked at with any more intensity than any other position undergoing review. At a guess, think the review is likely end up with further clarity around procedures in the all aspects of the footy dept; including list management.

As far as the media’s preoccupation with SOS is concerned, after the review is complete, I bloody well hope the club ditches its preoccupation with political niceties, comes out and makes it clear he’s not going anywhere, and if necessary show some bluntness when doing so. Am sick of the media setting our agenda; the club’s capitulation on its decision not to ask for a priority pick still irks me.
Tom Morris is a non bald headed flog.

David Teague did a little and a lot. He did not reinvent Carlton’s game but he did reinvent, or at least rediscover, players. He got players to stop over-thinking and under-playing.

Teague moved Walsh him from a wing to the middle. Initially he told him to play on Lachie Neale, not tag him, but try to be more damaging than Neale. He played OK in that role, but Neale was better.

Ed Curnow was instrumental in how Carlton shut Brisbane down from the inside out by stopping Neale. But the attitude to Walsh remained the same. Effectively Teague said to him, you were a star midfielder for all your junior career, you’ve had half a season of AFL football on a wing, now go and play on the ball as you have always done. Walsh hitched himself to Cripps and tag-teamed with the star midfielder.

Some other little gems in that article. I think Michael Gleeson is mostly guessing at Teague's instructions based on what he saw, but interesting nonethless.

Footy is normally a 'The king is dead, long live the king!' type industry.

But these were nice to see

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/cripps...-afl-win/5391964d-24dd-41c5-aad1-ad138a2dc163

Cripps: It's been an especially long last month. It's not only giving stuff back to the fans but especially for someone like Bolts who for four years gave so much for the Carlton Football Club. It didn't work out the way he would have liked, but I can't question the amount of work he did for us as a group. A lot of respect for him.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...rever-grateful-to-bolton-20190609-p51vyr.html

Gibbons: I really liked Bolts, he gave me my opportunity. I sent him a message and I spoke to him straight after he left. It hit me pretty hard and I will be forever be grateful to Bolts but it just shows how brutal an industry it is, I guess.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/hollow-win-for-curnow-without-bolton-20190609-p51vy4.html

Ed: Curnow admits it was a "hollow" feeling to finally get back on the AFL winners list without the sacked Brendon Bolton at the helm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Footy is normally a 'The king is dead, long live the king!' type industry.

But these were nice to see

Cripps: It's been an especially long last month. It's not only giving stuff back to the fans but especially for someone like Bolts who for four years gave so much for the Carlton Football Club. It didn't work out the way he would have liked, but I can't question the amount of work he did for us as a group. A lot of respect for him.

Gibbons: I really liked Bolts, he gave me my opportunity. I sent him a message and I spoke to him straight after he left. It hit me pretty hard and I will be forever be grateful to Bolts but it just shows how brutal an industry it is, I guess.

Ed: Curnow admits it was a "hollow" feeling to finally get back on the AFL winners list without the sacked Brendon Bolton at the helm.
I suppose that, in part, is a silver lining to all of this; that Carlton must have changed somewhat to be speaking so of a coach barely a week after they were fired, despite having won the game immediately afterward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back