AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
I suppose that, in part, is a silver lining to all of this; that Carlton must have changed somewhat to be speaking so of a coach barely week after they were fired, despite having won the game immediately afterward.

Sure beats when Mick left:

Kade Simpson: "That old campaigner can go and get ****** !!

Bordertoon

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Newcastle United, Glasgow Rangers
I think Gill and his mates would much prefer silence while play is underway, and some polite applause after each goal, like a snooker tournament
Yep BH, it wasn’t that long ago that “theatregoers” was a term of derision, and a lightning rod for concerns over the demise of the suburban tribalism of the pre-AFL, and now “theatregoers” would appear to be the AFL’s target audience!

Sadly, this is not a problem unique to the AFL. As a (long suffering) Newcastle United supporter, I don’t have a lot of time for Roy Keane of Man U in the EPL, but from almost 20 years ago I recall fondly the furore he unleashed when he had this to say about his club’s “legendary” home support:

1560221500547.png

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep BH, it wasn’t that long ago that “theatregoers” was a term of derision, and a lightning rod for concerns over the demise of the suburban tribalism of the pre-AFL, and now “theatregoers” would appear to be the AFL’s target audience!

Sadly, this is not a problem unique to the AFL. As a (long suffering) Newcastle United supporter, I don’t have a lot of time for Roy Keane of Man U in the EPL, but from almost 20 years ago I recall fondly the furore he unleashed when he had this to say about his club’s “legendary” home support:

View attachment 690475
To my mind, the issue is a smokescreen.

Fans and viewers of the game were terrific for most of AFL/VFL's run, right up until they - the establishment - started trying to entertain people with kiss cams, boundary riding prize givers, fireworks and music blared over and around everything. You're not meant to watch the game and enjoy it for itself, let it and the best players captivate you, oh no; there are more demands over you. Everything has to pull in the crowds.

Consequence is, you're going to get people who don't care so much for the footy, more the booze and/or the spectacle. And people wonder why there is more misbehaviour.

Sep 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
So now Rozee and Blakey are better than Walsh? I'm surprised they haven't mentioned how much better Bailey Smith is yet.

By the end of the season they'll probably be saying that Stocker was the better player, should've been the no.1 pick and that we made a mistake taking Walsh.

Don't forget Sydney Stack is better too apparently.

Imagine if we had of taken Lukosius media would be having a field day.

Seriously though. This is going to go down as one of the best draft ever.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Don't forget Sydney Stack is better too apparently.

Imagine if we had of taken Lukosius media would be having a field day.

Seriously though. This is going to go down as one of the best draft ever.
So far it's living up to the pre-draft hype. I'm looking forward to seeing what Rankine can do as well, if only he could get fit. Hopefully he gets a crack before the season is out.

Dec 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
If Atu Bosenavulagi (good luck BT) the 77th draft pick to Collingwood in last year's draft gets 1 game and 5 touches Kane Cornes will rate him as a better pick than Sam Walsh.

Because the media is way too big and has to fill space with people who wouldn't have even been trusted to change the channel safely 30 years ago.

Mar 19, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Broncos
If Atu Bosenavulagi (good luck BT) the 77th draft pick to Collingwood in last year's draft gets 1 game and 5 touches Kane Cornes will rate him as a better pick than Sam Walsh.

Because the media is way too big and has to fill space with people who wouldn't have even been trusted to change the channel safely 30 years ago.

Bit harsh, old televisions had knobs, which Kane Cornes is, in bucket loads.

Funk

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Some other little gems in that article. I think Michael Gleeson is mostly guessing at Teague's instructions based on what he saw, but interesting nonethless.

Interestingly (the Tiger supporting) Warner said Tigers were “too young” to be expected to win.

He’s never cut Blues the same slack - just slagged the club/SOS/Bolton every chance he’s had.

Funk

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Interestingly (the Tiger supporting) Warner said Tigers were “too young” to be expected to win.

He’s never cut Blues the same slack - just slagged the club/SOS/Bolton every chance he’s had.

FWIW - Carlton had 14 players with < 60 games plus a 35 year old.

Only 3 players in the “sweet spot” of 100-200 games.

And only 1 player aged in the “sweet spot” of 25-28 years (Newman who has only played 41 AFL games).

Last edited:
From Titus O'Reily's weekly summary:

Cripps would have to be the best player in the competition at the moment. His performance over the past few years has been astounding when you consider he often has the opposition and his teammates both actively working against him.

I laughed.

bluemahogany

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Miami Heat, Manchester United
From Titus O'Reily's weekly summary:

Cripps would have to be the best player in the competition at the moment. His performance over the past few years has been astounding when you consider he often has the opposition and his teammates both actively working against him.

I laughed.
That guy sucks, his whole career is tweeting low hanging fruit and I'm amazed by the following he's amassed.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Just listened to The Carlton Show podcast. Fmd Gecko is so ******* negative. All he wanted to talk about was how deficient we are, despite the win. I was excited to listen to it, hear the guys talk about all the positives from the weekend.. Then half of it is him talking glass half empty. It brought the whole show down considerably.

That guy sucks, his whole career is tweeting low hanging fruit and I'm amazed by the following he's amassed.

Meh, I must have a low-hanging sense of humour.

When I first read his stuff, I thought it was hilarious. These days not as funny coz there's a limited set of material on repeat.

Some supporters get upset coz he pokes fun at their club but A) you gotta have a sense of humour B) he rips into Melbourne harder than any others so OK by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back