Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/no...e-team-he-d-pay-to-watch-20190612-p51wyp.html

Half of this team is either current or former Carlton. Was Bob Murphy a Carlton supporter as a kid?

I'd say Bob grew up a Carlton supporter based on this paragraph:

Patrick Cripps. (Inhale...) Goddamn this guy is a good footballer. I have come to think of him as the ultimate Frankenstein of four Carlton greats. He’s got the presence and aura of 'Sticks' Kernahan, the size and sneer of John Nicholls, the quiet dignity and class of Bruce Doull and the outrageous genetics of 'Kouta'.

Lots of fancy things said about Cripps recently. I think this ^^^ might be my favourite.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
He was not a Carlton supporter. Would not have even seen Bruce Doull or Big Nick play. I was lucky enough to see Doully but Big Nick way before my time and more so Bob. Fairly sure he was a Richmond supporter as a kid. Heard him mention his family going to games when he was a kid and Tigers were hopeless most of that time.

He was not a Carlton supporter. Would not have even seen Bruce Doull or Big Nick play. I was lucky enough to see Doully but Big Nick way before my time and more so Bob. Fairly sure he was a Richmond supporter as a kid. Heard him mention his family going to games when he was a kid and Tigers were hopeless most of that time.

Fair enough. I guessed either a Carlton supporter or a serious footy nerd.

Either or both of those are fine by me...

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Footy Crucified just had Hutchy ask Lloyd if Blakey is the best of his draft class of 2018.

Lloyd says good call, only needs 10 touches to make a difference, will be better than Walsh.

Blakey is the new Rioli

Blakey only needs 10 touches to make a difference...shame he's only hit that mark in 3 of 11 games.

Have no issue with football commentators forecasting and speculating, but it really should be clearly presented as such. None of this "Who is the best player from the 2018 draft" getting answered with guesses about who might do this or that later.

Who is the best player in that draft crop - Walsh by a country mile. Class, consistency, composure, courage, leadership, skills, game sense - kid has it all.
Who is the most exciting - Rozee for me, does some amazing things. Rankine would challenge if he could get on the park.
Who has the most upside - Blakey in the conversation here. Has some really good attributes about him, just struggles to get involved enough at this stage.

RedFury

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Just listened to The Carlton Show podcast. Fmd Gecko is so ******* negative. All he wanted to talk about was how deficient we are, despite the win. I was excited to listen to it, hear the guys talk about all the positives from the weekend.. Then half of it is him talking glass half empty. It brought the whole show down considerably.

Tend to agree. We've had so much to be negative about lately, this week all we wanted was to savor in the win and talk positives.

He's been agro and preachy a lot lately - and thinks he's a lot cleverer than he actually is. Could do with a spell for a couple of weeks to get back on course imo.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
Blakey only needs 10 touches to make a difference...shame he's only hit that mark in 3 of 11 games.

Have no issue with football commentators forecasting and speculating, but it really should be clearly presented as such. None of this "Who is the best player from the 2018 draft" getting answered with guesses about who might do this or that later.

Who is the best player in that draft crop - Walsh by a country mile. Class, consistency, composure, courage, leadership, skills, game sense - kid has it all.
Who is the most exciting - Rozee for me, does some amazing things. Rankine would challenge if he could get on the park.
Who has the most upside - Blakey in the conversation here. Has some really good attributes about him, just struggles to get involved enough at this stage.

With all this amazing talent in the 2018 draft (best ever probably) The churlish part of me thinks- why did we have to have the number 1 pick in this draft- we could have had pick 5-8 and still picked a great player. But then I come to my senses Walsh is.... well- Walsh

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tend to agree. We've had so much to be negative about lately, this week all we wanted was to savor in the win and talk positives.

He's been agro and preachy a lot lately - and thinks he's a lot cleverer than he actually is. Could do with a spell for a couple of weeks to get back on course imo.
I stopped listening to their show about two months back. Once I could almost predict what each of them were going to say regularly they started doing my head in. Andy at first started doing my head in last year but over time the other two did also into this year and no longer could listen to them rabbit on. They are doing a good job getting a Carlton podcast going but too much of the same for me. If they rotated with other members of Carlton would be more worthwhile over time.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
With all this amazing talent in the 2018 draft (best ever probably) The churlish part of me thinks- why did we have to have the number 1 pick in this draft- we could have had pick 5-8 and still picked a great player. But then I come to my senses Walsh is.... well- Walsh

Still annoyed some ******* clubs around picks 5 to 8 did not do a live bid on Blakey as he was a clear top 5 pick, Swans got away with murder and even did clever live trades to take even more advantage.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Still annoyed some ******* clubs around picks 5 to 8 did not do a live bid on Blakey as he was a clear top 5 pick, Swans got away with murder and even did clever live trades to take even more advantage.

Makes no sense, the Swans were always going to take him, so why not make them pay more. Anyone after pick 3 should have called his name.

inyourcool

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Oak Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory 'til I die!
I think some of what gecko says has merit but he just bangs on about it too much! I didn’t mind his suggestion with Jones. IIRC, back when he was blitzing as a defender with the Northern Blues, he played a couple of games in the ruck (can’t remember if primary ruck or Relief) and was equally as dominant. Not sure how we’d fit that in with current senior line up but it could work

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos

There's a bit of Gerard Whately about him in that sense.

Dadda Dave

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Had the privilege of hearing Cornes re-doing the 2018 draft -

1. Rozee
2. Walsh
3. Stack
4. Then he got a little confused and didn't know what he was saying.

Look forward to next weeks draft re-doing.
Time to listen to some music......
Its not that ..he just can't count past 4 yet..
He's off to prep next year so that might help..

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Has anyone else found the media’s reporting of our upcoming game against the Dogs as disrespectful?
Every story has been about how the dogs were embarrassed and are desperate to make amends, like they committed a crime by losing to us.

I would really love a win to shut this crap up, if it happens, the heat will move quickly to them and the dees.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/f80be983682b87329704130f1f13e7de

Matthew Kreuzer is set to sign a new one-year deal in coming weeks as he puts together an exceptional season for the Blues.

Kreuzer only returned to the senior team in Round 5 after a summer of injury but continues to put together rousing performances as a beloved one-club player.

At 30 and given his injury history he is likely to sign one-year deals from now on in but he would hope to play on well into his 30s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back