Not open for further replies.

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Start the petition...
And a chant ready to go whilst marching the doors down @ Ikon for the Icon. "Hell NO, He won't GO". "We walk with SOS". "No member, no member - if SOS walks in December"

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Liddle I am sure is only doing his job. It's his job to scrutinise and apply pressure to all departments. It's fair to want to know why we haven't achieved some goals. This is just a good CEO being thorough.

I think with a really detailed analysis of our recruiting it will come up pretty good. Well it will come up pretty good is certain individuals come on.

Dow, O'Brien, SPS, Kennedy, McGovern, DeKoning, Stocker, Fisher, Macreadie, Cuningham, Polson, Williamson and Setterfield. These are the guys we should judge SOS on and they don't all have to make it but if 7 or so do then that's a big tick IMO.

McKay, Marchbank, Plowman, Walsh, Weitering, Newman and Curnow are already proven and ticks to our list.

Others who make it are ticks as well but are more bonuses really.

See whether most of these guys can play, if they can we're going well, if not and we could have recruited better then yes, questions should be asked.

As for trades, well I think we targeted the best players and players we need and that was the right thing. We got players wanting to come here, our offers were good, we did all we could our end but things fell over when the other clubs and the AFL stepped in which is just plain bad luck.

Next trade period I think we will have pressure to do something. Unfortunately I think we will be chasing players who are contracted which can't be helped as our needs are really narrow now.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
I understand why SOS might go (I'm ignoring any Caro spin on it), but please, not to ****ing Norf!

They don't deserve him.

SOS would tear North to shreds. Full rebuild just like us. Club is sitting there doing nothing, recruiting no one and has shown little draft tact. Probably has salary issues like we did.

SOS would tear North to shreds. Full rebuild just like us. Club is sitting there doing nothing, recruiting no one and has shown little draft tact. Probably has salary issues like we did.

I don’t think North can afford to bottom out as we did.

They’d have to be very careful about doing anything that may cause a significant drop off from their members.

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Liddle I am sure is only doing his job. It's his job to scrutinise and apply pressure to all departments. It's fair to want to know why we haven't achieved some goals. This is just a good CEO being thorough.

I think with a really detailed analysis of our recruiting it will come up pretty good. Well it will come up pretty good is certain individuals come on.

Dow, O'Brien, SPS, Kennedy, McGovern, DeKoning, Stocker, Fisher, Macreadie, Cuningham, Polson, Williamson and Setterfield. These are the guys we should judge SOS on and they don't all have to make it but if 7 or so do then that's a big tick IMO.

McKay, Marchbank, Plowman, Walsh, Weitering, Newman and Curnow are already proven and ticks to our list.

Others who make it are ticks as well but are more bonuses really.

See whether most of these guys can play, if they can we're going well, if not and we could have recruited better then yes, questions should be asked.

As for trades, well I think we targeted the best players and players we need and that was the right thing. We got players wanting to come here, our offers were good, we did all we could our end but things fell over when the other clubs and the AFL stepped in which is just plain bad luck.

Next trade period I think we will have pressure to do something. Unfortunately I think we will be chasing players who are contracted which can't be helped as our needs are really narrow now.

Development the key, and has been an issue at our club for many years (lack of). We've invested in that area with Luke Power, see how that goes with the draftees and the already drafted on our list.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s too soon to leave, SOS old mate. Next year will be wheel and deal time. I remember when you and Braddles put your hands up to go around another year if needed. Club went with Mick Martyn instead.

Let’s do the extra year this time round, waddya say?.

The report said 'this time next year'...which means he could still do the trade period with us and then leave after that right?
TBH while i'd like to keep SOS, that timing is probably not a bad thing.

SOS would have done the heavy lifting of the rebuild when we needed him most, and hopefully helps us net a Papley/Wines type next year...after that Agresta or someone else can take over. With 3 sons on the list, it probably was always going to be unlikely SOS would stay long term.

Also i get the feeling he likes a challenge of 'building' a list...with lots of wheeling and dealing. He built GWS from scratch, stripped us back and rebuilt our list and may do something similar to North. He'll probably get bored as our LM in the next few years as our activity and list turnover will probably be minimal.

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
SOS is in an invidious position with his sons at the club, being a legend of the club, and an an alpha male with 2 new strong bosses each with something to prove.

North have made a big play for him and will now likely land the big fish they’ve been chasing for years.

Didn’t North just poach Rawlings from West Coast for that role?

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
I think it would be a bad decision to get rid of SOS now. We are still not there yet, we still need 1-2 more years to solidify our position. Getting rid of him now would be disastrous and could undo everything.

I hate that there are to many egos with the senior executives if true - Liddle & Lloyd

It’s accountability not egos, even the best have areas of improvement.

Need to stop looking at it so negatively, I can see there’s improvements and questions needing to be asked.....it’s very 21st century, be glad of where the club is getting to

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
You obviously didn’t see the Barass comment?

“Caro might be on the money this time..” That post?

Yes, she might be on the money or she is might be full of s**t yet again. If B70 had his own information about SOS possibly being off, I would be very worried. As I said, Caroline wrote an opinion piece. Maybe it’s based off SOS being a Saints assistant for 4 years, GWS list manager for 4 years and now a Carlton list manager for 5 years. So it could be Caroline’s opinion that SOS might move on to another role. If he is, it won’t be that Caroline Wilson has any information about it.

Actually B70 has put my mind at ease by saying Caro might be on the money. When is she ever on the money about anything? :D

RedFury

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Actually B70 has put my mind at ease by saying Caro might be on the money. When is she ever on the money about anything? :D

source.gif

Bluezer

Senior List
Jun 9, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
The time is probably right for SOS to move on. He's done a great job, but his boys need clean air at the club, look at the scrutiny JSOS was put under this season. I'm an outsider looking in but I reckon SOS puts his family first.

I consider this off season a bust, we put the message out that the time was now in regards to trading for mature talent and we ended up with Eddie. The club put the pressure on themselves in this regard but sometimes that pressure needs a relief, SOS may be it this time around. Don't get me wrong I'd much prefer he stays and finishes the job, but if SOS is looking for an out, then this may be the excuse he needs to make the break.

“Caro might be on the money this time..” That post?

Yes, she might be on the money or she is might be full of s**t yet again. If B70 had his own information about SOS possibly being off, I would be very worried. As I said, Caroline wrote an opinion piece. Maybe it’s based off SOS being a Saints assistant for 4 years, GWS list manager for 4 years and now a Carlton list manager for 5 years. So it could be Caroline’s opinion that SOS might move on to another role. If he is, it won’t be that Caroline Wilson has any information about it.

most times if not all......

Funk

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
If it's an amicable parting, then I don't see a problem with it.

It always appeared that agresta and SOS were fulfilling essentially the same role, and seemed to step on each other's toes from time to time

It also looked liked he didn't have much time for Lloyd.

It would now give him and the club clean air in regards to his boys, especially with tom being draft eligible next year.

He will always be considered a club legend that won't change.

He has nothing left to prove, everyone can see the list he has put together.

And the new list manager can now get on with the business of completing the rebuild so to speak.

Still trying to understand the Lloyd appointment.

Highly regarded within the industry - but Fremantle list and football programme didn’t excite me.

So why was he highly regarded?? (FWIW I’ve worked with plenty of people who managed to network their way to a brilliant profile - but an objective view of their accomplishments painted a different story)

Liddell and SOS have serious runs on board - Lloyd I’m not so sure.

However I must give credit to Lloyd for the Russell & Teague appointments (assuming as Football Manager it was ultimately his call).

If he is pushing SOS out I’m very unhappy.

Interesting times.

Funk

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
The time is probably right for SOS to move on. He's done a great job, but his boys need clean air at the club, look at the scrutiny JSOS was put under this season. I'm an outsider looking in but I reckon SOS puts his family first.

I consider this off season a bust, we put the message out that the time was now in regards to trading for mature talent and we ended up with Eddie. The club put the pressure on themselves in this regard but sometimes that pressure needs a relief, SOS may be it this time around. Don't get me wrong I'd much prefer he stays and finishes the job, but if SOS is looking for an out, then this may be the excuse he needs to make the break.

If you “consider this off season a bust” - what would you have done differently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back