Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got told recently that an onion isn't a potato, harker - your thoughts?

What is this magic that you see my posts given you have me on ignore as you proudly stated you did? How does it work? :)

Look, if you care to be civil we can have the conversation....any conversation. This is a good thing.
If your hate though has consumed you then maybe it's a little bit of a problem. Not my problem, but maybe something worth looking into.

Just be frank and tell me the issue and we can take it to the SRP board instead of polluting this board with 'our problem'
This is fair, is it not? You name your poison outside the confines of this board and the platform is even. Agree? Let's do it.

shoot myself in the face or disappear down an endless black hole of confusion............any think music?

So you choose not to accept my offer. Of course.
That's OK. You are entitled to your stance. Now how about allowing others to their own views without threats if they don't coincide with yours?

Discussion isn't confusing unless one is stuck in their own black hole that doesn't allow any light to come into it.
Who do you reason to be the black hole? Think about it.......and for once....be honest.

Would have thought Crippa would be running his free set of puma boots by now?

77253961_10157006738356374_3087550056635564032_n.jpg

Would have thought Crippa would be running his free set of puma boots by now?

77253961_10157006738356374_3087550056635564032_n.jpg
Most players have boot deals, it's separate to the official club apparel. My understanding was Cripps either has or is in the progress of signing a sizable deal with Nike.

So why would he wear free Pumas when he could wear 6 figure Nikes?

Most players have boot deals, it's separate to the official club apparel. My understanding was Cripps either has or is in the progress of signing a sizable deal with Nike.

So why would he wear free Pumas when he could wear 6 figure Nikes?

Signed a 10 year deal with Nike recently, the biggest in AFL history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a really interesting article Harker. The one thing that is very difficult for armchair recruiters to get a handle on is the sheer drive potential recruits have to get the best out of themselves. As fantastic a recruit Cripps has been, there were plenty of reasons why he might not have been able to cut it at AFL level. He has the hunger that very few have.

I remember being disappointed when I learnt we were going to select Cripps, he looked like a slow player and a poor kick. Brett Anderson got abused by Carlton supporters when he linked us to him, I definitely wasn’t alone. It wasn’t until I saw footage of his hand balling and vision/awareness that I got a bit excited, but I always had this doubt early on about his ability to get to the appropriate fitness level given his size.

Menzel, on the other hand, I was really excited about at the time. Menzel V Cripps to me is a real showcase of how much difference the internal drive a player can make to be successful. It’s part of the reason why I don’t get to caught up about one potential draftee compared to another, most of us simply don’t have anywhere near the information that clubs have on the character of a player. One guy who appears to have that internal drive and who slipped in the draft is Worpel (in my opinion), he looks like he has a high internal drive to get the best out of himself. I reckon numerous clubs would feel a bit silly overlooking him now.

Joel Selwood is another example. If you actually look at his skill set, there really isn’t anything remarkable about him, he just simply wants it more than just about anyone else. He has arguably been the most influential person in arguably the best team of the century.

It’s a really interesting article Harker. The one thing that is very difficult for armchair recruiters to get a handle on is the sheer drive potential recruits have to get the best out of themselves. As fantastic a recruit Cripps has been, there were plenty of reasons why he might not have been able to cut it at AFL level. He has the hunger that very few have.

I remember being disappointed when I learnt we were going to select Cripps, he looked like a slow player and a poor kick. Brett Anderson got abused by Carlton supporters when he linked us to him, I definitely wasn’t alone. It wasn’t until I saw footage of his hand balling and vision/awareness that I got a bit excited, but I always had this doubt early on about his ability to get to the appropriate fitness level given his size.

Menzel, on the other hand, I was really excited about at the time. Menzel V Cripps to me is a real showcase of how much difference the internal drive a player can make to be successful. It’s part of the reason why I don’t get to caught up about one potential draftee compared to another, most of us simply don’t have anywhere near the information that clubs have on the character of a player. One guy who appears to have that internal drive and who slipped in the draft is Worpel (in my opinion), he looks like he has a high internal drive to get the best out of himself. I reckon numerous clubs would feel a bit silly overlooking him now.

Joel Selwood is another example. If you actually look at his skill set, there really isn’t anything remarkable about him, he just simply wants it more than just about anyone else. He has arguably been the most influential person in arguably the best team of the century.

A lack of killer instinct and internal drive were the reasons I didn't make it at the elite level.

... Also the fact that I am 162cm 'tall' and my kicking was more unpredictable than Levi's would have been by the end of the infamous booze cruise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back