Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice article about Setters on the Carlton site.

He's only played 25 games. I think he's been given more responsibility recently, and showed a bit the last 3 weeks in different ways. Could be a real midfield gem in time. He's got all the tools.

He's been given the 'young mid' slot ahead of Kennedy Dow & Stocker - good to see him starting to show us why.

I’m hearing a lot about Newnes playing his role and not being about stats providing a hard body etc etc. 150 game player wingman in his prime should be getting more than back pocket numbers.

Might be missing something but there’s opportunity cost with Lob in the twos and SPS down Back. Don’t want to harp on but just think we’re rewarding mediocrity

Newnes to the backline? Could solve a few problems if it works...

I’m hearing a lot about Newnes playing his role and not being about stats providing a hard body etc etc. 150 game player wingman in his prime should be getting more than back pocket numbers.

Might be missing something but there’s opportunity cost with Lob in the twos and SPS down Back. Don’t want to harp on but just think we’re rewarding mediocrity
He was playing loose back when Doc moved to the wing, but he didn't really have an impact.

Ide rather switch SPS and him around tbh just think that Samo looks a bit stifled at the moment

Not sure he's athletic or fast enough for the wing, but would love to see him find a spot around half forward, rediscovering his mojo alongside Martin and Betts, hitting Harry/Mitch/Charlie on the chest with those 30m passes.

Not sure he's athletic or fast enough for the wing, but would love to see him find a spot around half forward, rediscovering his mojo alongside Martin and Betts, hitting Harry/Mitch/Charlie on the chest with those 30m passes.
We go on about his kicking, but his handpassing isn't too shabby either.

I'd be interested to know why the coaches are playing SPS behind the ball. If it's just list gaps, is there no other solution?

Interesting, I'd say the Dogs should be favourites, but not by so much you may as well pencil in the win for them.
I have us winning, even though I was seriously pissed off with our performance last week. It is still about developing cohesion for me and that at times will frustrate me when it appears we take a step back.
I believe and hope I see more of what I saw against Cats in first half there than some of the other crap I saw last week,

He's already shined in his games, mostly so far. Couldn't be happier!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
The only disappointment is that he has kicked 6.6 and at least 3 of those 6 behinds have been from the same spot (45m out almost directly in front) 1 one which could have been the match winner against the Dees. For such a beautiful kick those shots should be like shelling peas.

I loved to see him shrug 3 tackles on the half back flank against the saints, it shows he now knows he is one of the better players in the comp - only going to get better from this point IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only disappointment is that he has kicked 6.6 and at least 3 of those 6 behinds have been from the same spot (45m out almost directly in front) 1 one which could have been the match winner against the Dees. For such a beautiful kick those shots should be like shelling peas.

I loved to see him shrug 3 tackles on the half back flank against the saints, it shows he now knows he is one of the better players in the comp - only going to get better from this point IMO.
He's not a good set shot for goal, it was a problem for him at the Suns as well.

Classic example of someone being a great kick but being a poor set shot

IIRC, you follow GC a bit too, yeah?
Yes, I'm a foundation member and have been to every game at Metricon the past 3 years. Which, incidentally, has led to me receiving 3 match worn and signed jerseys, which is nice.

Having said that they're a distant second to Carlton. But I believe in supporting my local team, especially when they need all the support they can get in this environment, i.e. Rugby League land.

Yes, I'm a foundation member and have been to every game at Metricon the past 3 years. Which, incidentally, has led to me receiving 3 match worn and signed jerseys, which is nice.

Having said that they're a distant second to Carlton. But I believe in supporting my local team, especially when they need all the support they can get in this environment, i.e. Rugby League land.
Blues can’t play without opponents

What would you say to trading for Fiorini, to play him off the HBF in something of a McVeigh sort of a gig?

What would you say to trading for Fiorini, to play him off the HBF in something of a McVeigh sort of a gig?
I like Fiorini, after rd2 I think it he was the unlucky one to go out for Swallow. Otherwise he'd still be there. He's that 1 midfielder too many if they're all fit at the moment.

Having said that, I think it'd be a little like putting Gibbs at half back when he was younger. He could do it, and his skill is handy there, but he probably doesn't have the defensive nous or workrate to be reliable in the spot long term. The more I think about it he'd be a great fit to our midfield

He re-signed in March this year until 2023, unfortunately for us.

I like Fiorini, after rd2 I think it he was the unlucky one to go out for Swallow. Otherwise he'd still be there. He's that 1 midfielder too many if they're all fit at the moment.

Having said that, I think it'd be a little like putting Gibbs at half back when he was younger. He could do it, and his skill is handy there, but he probably doesn't have the defensive nous or workrate to be reliable in the spot long term. The more I think about it he'd be a great fit to our midfield

He re-signed in March this year until 2023, unfortunately for us.
Yeah im with you. a future 2nd maybe?

Play him as an outside mid not off HB

What is you lived in *

It's important to note Maclure's bake was partly fuelled by anger. His club, his area of the ground, he's fed up. Maclure was lazy at times but never less than competitive and often an outright matchwinner.

I love Guv in the team and don't care what nobody says.
If he works harder, even better.
Worst equine double negative since neh neh.

It's important to note Maclure's bake was partly fuelled by anger. His club, his area of the ground, he's fed up. Maclure was lazy at times but never less than competitive and often an outright matchwinner.
Very vrry true.
LOved Sellers. Still do.
I think that by comparing his own role to Guv's, he gets angry cos he thinks Guv isn't getting the best out of himself.
I get that, but I also think Guv is underrated for what he does bring even though it is in bursts.
If he can work on the other stuff inbetween it will be a great bonus.
I have a lot of faith that we have a match winner in him
Plus
When he gets it right we are all uplifted.

Hmmph.
He ain't no real hoofer. I saw him try in La La Land.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back