Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, who is the crazy/brave player reaching out pat Diesel on the head? Doesn't look like Diesel is happy with it... Maybe its Dow? Might explain the 'direct feedback' in the article... :)

Probably not. That would have been many months ago during the offseason. I wonder how much work Diesel got in with Dow. Interesting that Cripps got him to work with him as well, but Crippa has been out of form this season. Should Cripps go back to what was working for him before? Not everyone can play like Diesel.

Probably not. That would have been many months ago during the offseason. I wonder how much work Diesel got in with Dow. Interesting that Cripps got him to work with him as well, but Crippa has been out of form this season. Should Cripps go back to what was working for him before? Not everyone can play like Diesel.
(it was a joke) ;)

Yeah, just a seque into my real point about whether Diesel has had the desired impact on Crippa's game.
Ahhhh. Well, I'll use your post to segue in something else I noticed in the article. The notion that you have to be a 'man' to take the next step. Maybe its just me but that just struck me as an antiquated way to frame Paddy's issues (and Jobe's and Kennedy's too for that matter). I agree with the sentiment, obviously, but am glad we've moved past that language on the whole.

Ahhhh. Well, I'll use your post to segue in something else I noticed in the article. The notion that you have to be a 'man' to take the next step. Maybe its just me but that just struck me as an antiquated way to frame Paddy's issues (and Jobe's and Kennedy's too for that matter). I agree with the sentiment, obviously, but am glad we've moved past that language on the whole.

Perhaps we swap the term 'man' into something like 'maturity' or 'toughness' or 'intensity'. Recognise what is required at this level compared to U18s where Dow thrived, or VFL scratch matches. I do think players have to be mentally prepared for the physical contest and the fact they are going to experience pain multiple times in a match. Their body is the tool they have to stop an opponent so mentally the desire to use that tool has to be stronger than the desire to protect themselves.

I have to wonder what our sports psychologist has been doing around the club sometimes. I haven't seen any noticeable lift in mental intensity. Wasn't he a former Hawks guy who they raved about?

Perhaps we swap the term 'man' into something like 'maturity' or 'toughness' or 'intensity'. Recognise what is required at this level compared to U18s where Dow thrived, or VFL scratch matches. I do think players have to be mentally prepared for the physical contest and the fact they are going to experience pain multiple times in a match. Their body is the tool they have to stop an opponent so mentally the desire to use that tool has to be stronger than the desire to protect themselves.

I have to wonder what our sports psychologist has been doing around the club sometimes. I haven't seen any noticeable lift in mental intensity. Wasn't he a former Hawks guy who they raved about?
I know we can refer to the general "guys" these days (as I often do) so if that's what you're doing here, apologies in advance, but the psychologist that came over from the Hawks is actually female. Just sayin' ...

ED - link: https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/587753/inside-the-mind-a-psychological-look-into-isolation

I know we can refer to the general "guys" these days (as I often do) so if that's what you're doing here, apologies in advance, but the psychologist that came over from the Hawks is actually female. Just sayin' ...

There was definitely a guy who came across a couple of years ago. Maybe a wellness person/counsellor type. Maybe that person is gone? Heaps of people come and go that I'm not aware of.

But I'm equal opportunity ... our psychologist ... what is she achieving?

Edit: I'm thinking of Anthony Klarica who we poached from the Hawks before the 2016 season. He was a qualified psychologist who was appointed to run our leadership program. Is he still there or gone ages ago?

There was definitely a guy who came across a couple of years ago. Maybe a wellness person/counsellor type. Maybe that person is gone? Heaps of people come and go that I'm not aware of.

But I'm equal opportunity ... our psychologist ... what is she achieving?
You're right, it's definitely a fair call. After Harry's latest efforts I sent an SMS to my sister saying we needed a kicking coach and psychologist for him, and she pointed out that we already had one.

Hard to see any positive signs of it, I must say. But then again, COVID has thrown a huge curve-ball this year, and the team has managed to not be totally thrashed in any game. I guess the overall trajectory is positive, but we tend to want it all, and want it now!

Harry doesn’t even have a set shot routine. He just lumbers in like a Sasquatch and throws it on the boot.

He needs to find a routine like Brown, Kennedy or Franklin
Definitely, it's all about consistency to build confidence.

I was watching the Freo game last night and one thing that really stood out to me was Taberner's set shot routine. He walked back, mouth counting 25 steps and then ran through his routine. He didn't kick the goal but he then has a base line to correct any subsequent shots he takes.

If Harry keeps randomly taking shots without thinking things through he'll never build into the dominant forward he could 100% become. He's already got the marking presence and strength to hold his own in a contest, he just needs to get this part down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Under22 squad ...

EhX6n3iU0AAZzRP

Williams stating Dow needs to work harder, tougher is a reasonable assessment when viewing as outsiders like we here

But not sure how people come to the conclusion that would mean Dow is soft

He's not soft. He is fine wearing punishment in order to extract the ball. He's just not as committed in his application for the defensive things. I can't tell if his judgment is off when it comes to one on one defensive work, or he's just not physical enough.

He's not soft. He is fine wearing punishment in order to extract the ball. He's just not as committed in his application for the defensive things. I can't tell if his judgment is off when it comes to one on one defensive work, or he's just not physical enough.

I believe it is a current lack of endurance. First with his hip issue, now his knee, he just seems gassed and perhaps MC should not have selected him

I understand he, like all players need to work both ways and Dows defensive running numbers lead all players last week

I just want the club to unleash him, just hunt the ball, but that would also hurt us on the defensive transition

Williams stating Dow needs to work harder, tougher is a reasonable assessment when viewing as outsiders like we here

But not sure how people come to the conclusion that would mean Dow is soft
Don't think it's saying he's soft wrt physical contact. He's certainly a softy with regards to pushing his running capacity. He happily jogs behind and goes into energy preservation mode too often. That's still soft, just not what is usually meant by the term when fans throw it around.

On Footy Classifieds last night, Nathan Brown, Tony Jones and Eddie pulled up Kane Cornes (a little) over his Walsh v Rozee routine.

I have no prob with Cornes thinking Rozee is a better talent than Walsh or airing that opinion in public. He is a football 'journalist' after all (sort of). But he has turned this into an ongoing and very public campaign. And he has showed himself to be a campaigner.

The more I think about, incessant commentary on kid A vs kid B at 19-20yo is probably unfair on all involved. You wanna do a Judd vs Hodge debate >5 years after they debuted. Fine. Interestingly, that match-up didn't even become a fair fight until they were 10+ years into their careers. But so much commentary on kids (especially when there is a lot of evidence to suggest Kane is wrong) just shows he is just a penilecranium chasing headlines.

And no, I do not watch Footy Classifieds (Thy TM)

On Footy Classifieds last night, Nathan Brown, Tony Jones and Eddie pulled up Kane Cornes (a little) over his Walsh v Rozee routine.

I have no prob with Cornes thinking Rozee is a better talent than Walsh or airing that opinion in public. He is a football 'journalist' after all (sort of). But he has turned this into an ongoing and very public campaign. And he has showed himself to be a campaigner.

The more I think about, incessant commentary on kid A vs kid B at 19-20yo is probably unfair on all involved. You wanna do a Judd vs Hodge debate >5 years after they debuted. Fine. Interestingly, that match-up didn't even become a fair fight until they were 10+ years into their careers. But so much commentary on kids (especially when there is a lot of evidence to suggest Kane is wrong) just shows he is just a penilecranium chasing headlines.

And you know what - a number of other "journalists" will take the opportunity now to claim the moral high ground of "It's not fair to compare these players" and "We go too early on criticising the kids" - and in 6 months they'll all be doing it again.

No integrity in this mob. If they're not criticising players they're criticising their journalistic competition.

Cornes :sick: from July this year ...

EhcqpK5WkAY3tol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back